Flattening Out Wavy Record Sleeves??

erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I have plenty of experience fixing warped vinyl, but not sleeves. I bought some records this weekend that would have been mint had the guy at the flea market not put them out too early (peak dew time). I've tried putting weight on them, but I don't think it's working. What do you guys do? Is there a way to iron them out maybe?Thanks!

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    depending on how wavy they are they might not be fixable. have you tried putting them under a stack of books or something like that? A real wavy sleeve, like form water damage is not gonna flatten though.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    depending on how wavy they are they might not be fixable. have you tried putting them under a stack of books or something like that? A real wavy sleeve, like form water damage is not gonna flatten though.

Same thing with bowed sleeves too, huh? Does that have something to do with humidity or something? I was displaying whatever record I was playing in an Expedit hole, presentation style, all fall. Then when the mad radiator heat kicked in, my sleeves started getting as loose as granny drawers when I left them up there like that for a while. Any ideas?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    What stinks is even after you "fix" a water-damaged sleeve moisture in the air can reawaken the waves...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm having the same problem this winter cause it's so damp where I am. the ones I have packed tightly on the shelf are OK, but I left a crate on the floor $ the covers are getting weird.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'm having the same problem this winter cause it's so damp where I am. the ones I have packed tightly on the shelf are OK, but I left a crate on the floor $ the covers are getting weird.

Fuck, I'm having the same problems and this shit is pissing me off. A little help please.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

The waves on most of them are pretty minimal and the sleeves are otherwise very intact. Plus, they are all 80s punk/hardcore/metal LPs, which seem more workable than that thicker cardboard stuff from the 70s and before. A few of them did ok with some weight on them for a couple of days, but some seem to have mysteriously retained water that went away after blowdrying and "came back" two days later.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Fuck, I'm having the same problems and this shit is pissing me off. A little help please.

Like crink said, the ones stacked next to eachother are cool, but I stopped displaying the covers. Now I just lay them flat on the floor or on top of the Expedit. I can't stand bowed sleeves!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Do you recommend this from experience? I'm toying with the idea of trying it with a towel between the sleeve and the iron, but I don't want to make the problem worse.