When the Hole is Too Small!!

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Here's one for the wiseguys. Really too easy...But seriously what if the record barely fits over the pin(?)? I've broken a couple albums taking them off. I find twisting all the way up and off is one way. Has anyone ever tried to widen it a little?

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Maybe a properly sized drill bit would do it?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Just get some k y jelly and some sweet talk. wax on. wax off.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I take a scissors, stick it in the hole until it can't go further, and gently rotate it to shave off a little vinyl. Do it slowly, trying it out on the spindle until it fits, because you don't want to do TOO much. Works every time. Anyone who buys a lot of reggae LP's is used to doing this on the reg!

PS
    go PATS

• Yeah, just insert a pen knife into the hole and rotate it gently.

Be careful as you can easily take too much off. Try one full rotation then stick it back on the spindle.

• I've never snapped an LP but 45s is another thing. The 45 problem can be fixed by getting the "cone" shaped adaptors. LPs...maybe take a screwdriver...stick it in the hole...talk dirty to it...and rotate the screwdriver like your churning butter. Should spread the hole a little.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i reccomend lube.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I take a scissors, stick it in the hole until it can't go further, and gently rotate it to shave off a little vinyl. Do it slowly, trying it out on the spindle until it fits, because you don't want to do TOO much. Works every time. Anyone who buys a lot of reggae LP's is used to doing this on the reg!

PS
    go PATS

right right
    i used a spoon and stuck the other end in, twisted a few times and voila!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Maybe a properly sized drill bit would do it?

this is how i fix it.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

That's the way. Worked with my sealed copy of Little Royal on King. I remember when I started a thread like this two or three years ago for that one. Boy, the pre-verts really came out of the woodwork for that one, too.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

PS
    go PATS

This is definitely the way--just don't let the scissors slip and drag a big scratch across the entire side of the record. Ummm...not that I've done that or anything.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Not to diss everyones unique styles of getting their holes widened (ayoooo), but my weapon of choice for that sort of job would have to be a round wood file.

Stick it in and do even circular motions inside the hole.

I'm sayin tho.