Canadian/American ID Requirements.

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I forgot my passport when I left this morning, but I have my NY drivers license. Will I be alright crossing the border both ways?.. or should i go home and get my passport?

Comments

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    I heard you need the passport now to leave/reenter the country into/out of Canada

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    get your passport

they just changed the laws

they might let you through if your on file.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    The NY/VT Canadian Border you can still use a Drivers ID, though by next year Passport only.

Not 100% though. I would call.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Tom, Canadian border was really firm on having a passport the 2 times I visited last year.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    from the state dept...

Required Documents

When entering Canada from the United States, U.S. citizens must show either a U.S. passport or other proof of U.S. citizenship - such as an original or certified birth certificate together with photo identification. U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport. A visa is not required for U.S. citizens for a stay up to 180 days.

I'm gonna run home and grab my passport to be safe....

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    from the state dept...

Required Documents

When entering Canada from the United States, U.S. citizens must show either a U.S. passport or other proof of U.S. citizenship - such as an original or certified birth certificate together with photo identification. U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport. A visa is not required for U.S. citizens for a stay up to 180 days.

Yeah man... please do. Also... leave the sensimilla at home too.

I'm actually terrified of the Canadian border patrol now after the last fiasco of getting grilled for visiting KL. Looks like Otis will have to drive over the border the time.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Or get one of those Cigar cases, some lube, and vwwhala!

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Some rules have just changed to require a passport, but I believe that this is going to be first applied to airports. Land crossings *should* still allow you to cross without a passport, but I bet you'll get a lot less hassle with one.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    They are doing this on the Mexican border too, passports will be required w/ in the next year. Lame if you ask me.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    You probably already did go get ur pass...

The passport deal ain't going to be mandatory for awhile still.
    You can still use a drivers with a birth certificate for now.

• Options
    from the state dept...

Required Documents

I'm actually terrified of the Canadian border patrol now after the last fiasco of getting grilled for visiting KL. Looks like Otis will have to drive over the border the time.

...and split up the guys with the exact same names so you don't run into the "that's my name" problem again. My family still laughs hysterically at that.

K.