Lou Rawls R.I.P.

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Whoah, I was just listening to that Axelrod comp 'The Edge', earlier this evening & that '...Happy' song came on & then thinking to myself i don't really know much of his music.
    I also only just dl'd 'Season of the Witch' from 16corner's blog.

Could someone recommned a primo album by him.

Not to be confused with Live(no exclamation point), a later recording from the seventies with a black cover (on Philadelphia Int'l). This album shown here (on Capitol) was recorded before a studio audience in the sixties and includes some on-target stage raps.

Also, any best-of from his Capitol years.

Plus, here's some random tracks I like:
    "Little Drummer Boy"
    "She's Gone" (the Hall & Oates song; Lou KILLS this one)
    "Your Good Thing Is About To End"
    "Love Is A Hurtin' Thing"
    "Natural Man"
    "You Can't Hold On"
    "Win Your Love" (NICE reworking of Sam Cooke's "Win Your Love For Me"; the guitar part really makes it, but Lou's the one holding it together!)
    "Dead End Street"
    "How Can You Say I Don't Love You Anymore"
    "Chained & Bound"
    "I Can't Make It Alone"
    "See You When I Git There"
    "Tobacco Road" (studio version)

• People forget that even though he was L.A.-based, he was Chicago-born, and often repped the Chi in his monologues. "Tobacco Road" was written by a Nashville songwriter (the great John D. Loudermilk), but Lou made it an anthem for ghettos all over the world, combining urban despair with grim determination (to get the hell out, then come back and help others out). R.I.P.

THE HAWK, SON! the damn hawk was nippinig my ear lobs on my way up here. Sad indeed. RIP.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    RIP

this has to be one of those depressing years for iconic deaths

People forget that even though he was L.A.-based, he was Chicago-born, and often repped the Chi in his monologues. "Tobacco Road" was written by a Nashville songwriter (the great John D. Loudermilk), but Lou made it an anthem for ghettos all over the world, combining urban despair with grim determination (to get the hell out, then come back and help others out). R.I.P.

THE HAWK, SON! the damn hawk was nippinig my ear lobs on my way up here. Sad indeed. RIP.

To this day I still call the Chicago wind chill "the Hawk," and I'm starting to meet a lot of younger folks or non-Chicago natives who don't know what that is...they think I'm talking about a bird or something!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Man, sad news indeed. RIP.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    damn man

RIP

this has to be one of those depressing years for iconic deaths

year's just started; we gotta be more optimistic than that

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    "You've made ME so very happy"

Sad news, god bless.
    Respect
    ^^^For those that'd like some music with their mourning.