RIP Rhino

2»

Comments

• scour the dollar bins for slip-ups or hit the fleas religiously has a living room business selling records.
    cough

It's kind of like selling weed just so you can smoke for free.

Haha! I thought that might ruffle some feathers... never knocking the (small time) hustle. Dude you've been going hard for a lot longer than I have...

But.

If you were to compare this to dope, which I have on more than one occasion, it's like all your custies gradually start pumping themselves so that they can smoke bigger...

Not really so much a criticism as an observation. You then have to get that hubbarock/piff/raer that the fiend can't get themselves... which means, again, that there ends up being no business in relatively common records in the $20-40 range.

• which happens to be what i like to smoke.

i feel you. for better or worse, the internet can make anyone an entrepreuner (and give them quite a bit of the background education). this is great as far as DIY goes, but there is a real culture around record shops and record shows that is suffering because of it. especially the shops. culture.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Its all about making sure you ahve product going out in as many directions as possible whether its front door, back door, ebay, or internet sales period. And unless its super raer jawns that you can sit on and wait for the right collector to find, the rest need to be priced to sell.

Whatever you're selling, it's only worht what someone is willing to pay for it nah mean?

also... buy, sell, trade.

• Well, priced to sell (from what I understand) in your shop just wouldn't cut it out here. Overhead is tremendous, number 1. number 2. say I take all of the records that are not super rare, and I just price em way down. Wholesale. 50% of going rate. You blow your stock out before you can get more and then you're just another spot that has been tapped and run through.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    True your location/proximity to what your selling has alot to do with it...

• Stories like this get me down. One of the best things about stores is you come in contact with records and people you'd never run into any other way. Finding an argentinian avant-jazz LP, hashing it up with prog rock guy, or sorting through record show stock balls ass early is where it's at. Eye-opening. These days I'll do a run of stores and out of a half dozen find maybe a handful of really interesting records, and salty ass store owners.