New York City - I’m Doin’ Fine Now

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
Any body feeling this LP? It's been on heavy rotation for about a month now. Sweet Soul that gives me goose bumps.

Comments

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    You know it!

Let's Set The Record Straight, you know things could really be better
    made it's way onto my iriver this morning

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    What's it soundin' like? Any comparisons to other groups?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Very nice LP.
    Been a long time since I gave that a spin, thanks for the reminder!

Just found this and have been enjoying it on the sweet soul tip

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

I'll post an MP3 in a bit. It's mid 70s stuff with sitars and orchestras and shit.

Recording records on the job =

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

This track is .

Anything else on Music Merchant worth picking up?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This track is .

Definitely some good 45s, but I don't know about any of the other LPs.

This one seems to be consistently available for cheap...

...But I don't know if it's any good. I have heard it described as "prog rock," which makes me reluctant to take a chance on it.

Is this the "Under My Wings" Smith Connection?

PeeRe turned me onto that cut.

Is this the "Under My Wings" Smith Connection?

PeeRe turned me onto that cut.

yes.

This track is nice! Is the whole album quality?

My business dealings with a fellowTheNonStrutter depends on your answer.

Yes... It's very solid. I got it at TSL for $15 which qualifies as a cheapie.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I'd compare them to the Spinners. Both groups were produced by Thom Bell, and NYC's lead singer had an uncanny vocal similarity to the Spinners' Bobbie Smith.

I have quite a few of NYC's singles (including their crossover smash, "I'm Doin' Fine Now"), but the only full-length LP I have is SOULFUL ROAD, yet another of the umpteen thousand album covers that parodies the Beatles' ABBEY ROAD. As far as the music itself, it's okay but no classic. If anything, it sounds like a bunch of songs that the Spinners turned down. In other words, filler.

There were three NYC albums in all on the Chelsea label, counting their best-of. (A best-of from a group that had only two albums? Ain't no sense in that...)

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    This one seems to be consistently available for cheap:

...But I don't know if it's any good. I have heard it described as "prog rock," which makes me reluctant to take a chance on it.

To paraphrase: Every race gets the David Clayton-Thomas it deserves. There's some good music and good texture on that thing, but the vocals are straight chest-rug, and pouring Holland-Dozier-Hollandaise on that don't make it brunch.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Don't be a puss James, they put the damn MAGUS on the cover.
    Chest rugs can be overlooked when Satan is somehow referenced.
    You know this.

To paraphrase: Every race gets the David Clayton-Thomas it deserves. There's some good music and good texture on that thing, but the vocals are straight chest-rug, and pouring Holland-Dozier-Hollandaise on that don't make it brunch.

So...exactly what kind of music is it? Since you dropped the name of David Clayton-Thomas, I'm guessing Warlock was somewhere in the zone of Blood, Sweat & Tears (the band Thomas sang for) or Rare Earth.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Yes... It's very solid. I got it at TSL for $15 which qualifies as a cheapie.

I guess I can consider this a damn decent 3 euro find then

Seriosly though, this LP comes highly recommended. The arrangements are on point without sounding overproduced, the falsettos are in key, they got loops for days... yeah, mos def a dope LP.

Their second LP entitled "Soulful Road" (a play on Abbey Road) I thought was absolute garbage though. Way over the top.

- J

they put the damn MAGUS on the cover.

So did Captain Funkaho.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Yeah this LP is hot as shit. The "Insanity" track is killin' it, too. Dilated ruined it by jacking like 45 seconds of it for "Proper Propoganda." The OG is way better.

-e

Warlock was somewhere in the zone of Blood, Sweat & Tears

Yes. Very brassy, very virile, very boot-cut, somewhat paunchy. The instrumentation is pretty good, and I like the not-entirely-airtight horn arrangements. Dude up front hurts my feelings, though; he's got that digging-waaaay-down/singing-from-my-colon kind of voice, like the guy from Creed, or maybe Taylor Dayne.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    singing-from-my-colon kind of voice

Does Stone Temple Pilot and Pearl Jam dude fall into this category?

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

Any body feeling this LP? It's been on heavy rotation for about a month now. Sweet Soul that gives me goose bumps.

First thought this is a joke. Record is nice but it'a dollar bin classic in Germany for 10+ years. I don't know how often I've seen this record for a few Deutschmarks. I never thought that it as something special or unknown.

First thought this is a joke. Record is nice but it'a dollar bin classic in Germany for 10+ years. I don't know how often I've seen this record for a few Deutschmarks. I never thought that it as something special or unknown.

I like this record.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    RAJ blazes an aural trail through the record bin underbrush!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This track is .

Eloise Laws[/b] 45s are generally excellent.

I want that Warlock even tho people are saying it sucks...then again, I like Rare Earth and The Mob, so it may be my cuppa tea.

Cosign on the NYC, I don't have the LP but have picked up around 4 or 5 of the singles on Chelsea and they are mostly excellent...one uptempo track with some fuzztone is killer!

It's not a matter of this being rare or a dollarbin common in Germany. I like the damn record and honestly my AC/DC bred ass just first heard of this record a month a go. SHOOOT ME!

singing-from-my-colon kind of voice

Does Stone Temple Pilot and Pearl Jam dude fall into this category?

I would say "yes," but from what I've seen, both of the guys you've mentioned are more about the double-handed, stoop-shouldered microphone-grabbing stance so common in exponents of the New Sincerity movement of the 90s, and what I'm talking about here is more of a single-handed, head-thrown-back, one-arm-outstretched, lord-of-the-manor type of affair. A certain sense of entitlement is required to finesse this, which I feel is lacking in both the STP dude and the Clam Jam dude.

It's not a matter of this being rare or a dollarbin common in Germany. I like the damn record

thats right. so what if it is common? if thats true, buy every copy you see!

i had the 45 when i was a child and it was a hit, and it's still sounding good today: "I'm doin ' fine no-o-ow...without you, bay-beee..."

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

friend of mine picked that up a few months ago out here & i peeped it out, i was actually into some of it, prog rock meets soul, def worth picking up & givin a listen, cuz if you dont like it, would be an easy flip back out in the world...

peace

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

That end groove is very nice. Thank you for upping that.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    It's not a matter of this being rare or a dollarbin common in Germany. I like the damn record

thats right. so what if it is common? if thats true, buy every copy you see!

i had the 45 when i was a child and it was a hit, and it's still sounding good today: "I'm doin ' fine no-o-ow...without you, bay-beee..."

I did it twice and stopped doing it because i thought nobody would dig this record. As I said I'm just suprised. If you would kno how many records that people are bragging about here are completley unknown to me I would be dead. Luckily I'm doing fine now.