THE OFFICIAL LATE PASS THREAD

twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
This is the place to talk about the shit you've just discovered, even though dudes have been discussing it since two summers ago. To start off, I just bought a reggaeton mix CD. I'm digging it, but I still can't shake the feeling that I'm waaayyyyy behind the times on this one. I'm guessing if I was an East Coast Hater I'd be pretty damn sick of this shit already.

Comments

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Hey, I haven't even heard reggaeton, and I live in new york. The first time I even heard about it was like two months ago in People magazine.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    by extension, I just watched Rockers last night, it was dope! now I need the OST

theres a small degree of comfort from KL's recent admission that he yet to see this one ..

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I used to think blue cheese smelled like toe jam foot fungus. Now almost daily I get my salad with not only blue cheese dressing but also blue cheese crumbles. I can't get enough of the blue cheese. Late pass. I guess I was "sleepin".

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Money Mark- Change is Coming

After buying it a couple years back, and barely listening to it, I just pulled it out recently and have discovered that it is pretty damn good. some really groovy stuff by actual studio musicians. Any of his other albums any good?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    yup, that double 10 inch "Mark's keyboard repair" is dope.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    cool. thanks MM.

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts
    I used to think blue cheese smelled like toe jam foot fungus. Now almost daily I get my salad with not only blue cheese dressing but also blue cheese crumbles. I can't get enough of the blue cheese. Late pass. I guess I was "sleepin".

Ha Ha! Yes! I was scared of that shit as a kid, but then a Bleu Burger with the crumbles from Hamburger Mary's switched my whole mentality around. Hmmmmmmm...Bleu Burger....

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

then a Bleu Burger with the crumbles from Hamburger Mary's

Where you from?

then a Bleu Burger with the crumbles from Hamburger Mary's

Where you from?

SFC. I think that one closed down or changed name and ownership or something like a year ago though. Can anyone in Seattle verify if that one on Olive in Capitol Hil is still there? I used to live like two blocks from there. That place was alright with the transvetite nights and the live jazz every once in a while.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Hamburger Mary's

There's one in Sacromento. Where was the one in SF? Never saw it.

Can we do another one of these late passes after I cop the Edan sometime next week (month?)? I'm sure I'll want to talk about it when I hear it but everyone would just jump down my throat at this point if I bring it up.

Hamburger Mary's

There's one in Sacromento. Where was the one in SF? Never saw it.

Uhhh... South of Market somewhere. Like 11th or 12th and Fulsom or somewhere close to there. My dad had his retirement party there. I think it had been there at least 20 years. SF institution!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    but everyone would just jump down my throat at this point

AY YO!

but everyone would just jump down my throat at this point

AY YO!

I would think transvestite nights would be way more AYOable than little old throat jumping. just saying...

Cosign.

South of Market somewhere. Like 11th or 12th and Fulsom

Now THAT'S ayo.

Cosign.

Now THAT'S ayo.

If memory serves correct, it was around the corner from "The Stag"?!

Actually just mentioning "I lived in Capitol Hill in Seattle" is the most AYOable thing so far. SF heads don't recognize...

Speaking of late passes (that was the topic, right?): Anyone in here want to admit that they have never heard Leo Sayer? C'mon...this is a "safe space"!

by extension, I just watched Rockers last night, it was dope! now I need the OST

theres a small degree of comfort from KL's recent admission that he yet to see this one ..

I object to this extension. As previously stated/argued on SS, "Reggae"ton has very little, if anything, to do with actual Reggae.

Carry on.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Speaking of late passes (that was the topic, right?): Anyone in here want to admit that they have never heard Leo Sayer? C'mon...this is a "safe space"!

I've never heard him except for that one song "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" and maybe one other slow one. Not my thing though.

I need a late pass for this one right here because this is the real shit right here, god. I'm just getting to it today. Shit is mad decent.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I've never heard him except for that one song "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" and maybe one other slow one. Not my thing though.

I need a late pass for this one right here because this is the real shit right here, god. I'm just getting to it today. Shit is mad decent.

Dude, that 2LP was a staple of my high school years!! One of the greatest pop records ever, and I think side 1 is one of the greatest sides ever recorded in rock! Just song after brilliant song, one great performance after another.
    Just rock "In the Cold Morning Light" and "It Wouldn't Have Made any Difference" and tell me those aren't some heart-tugging songs. Dude was a genius for a hot minute in the 70s. Runt: the Ballad of Todd Rundgren is a close second to this. Don't sleep!!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I object to this extension. As previously stated/argued on SS, "Reggae"ton has very little, if anything, to do with actual Reggae.

Carry on.

Thank you.

Another objection I have to reggaeton: Can you play a set of "roots reggaeton"? I didn't think so.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    My late passes include:

The Rapture: ECHOES
    The Faint: DANSE MACABRE
    DFA label
    George Harrison: ALL THINGS MUST PASS
    And of course any Hip-Hop, rap, or offshoot from 1992-present.

Carry on.
    Thank you.

Another objection I have to reggaeton: Can you play a set of "roots reggaeton"? I didn't think so.

Hm. So far on this board there seems to be 2 conflicting points of view about reggaeton, to wit:

Reggaeton is just reggae/dancehall sung in Spanish
    (therefore it cannot be classified as its own genre)

vs.

Reggaeton has nothing to do with actual reggae at all
    (therefore it must be classified as its own genre)

Isn't the truth somewhere in between, guys?

And isn't a bunch of Americans talking about the (in)validity of reggaeton akin to a bunch of Frenchies talking about the (in)validity of southern crunk, i.e. NOT real talk?

Hm. So far on this board there seems to be 2 conflicting points of view about reggaeton, to wit:

Reggaeton is just reggae/dancehall sung in Spanish
    (therefore it cannot be classified as its own genre)

vs.

Reggaeton has nothing to do with actual reggae at all
    (therefore it must be classified as its own genre)

Isn't the truth somewhere in between, guys?

And isn't a bunch of Americans talking about the (in)validity of reggaeton akin to a bunch of Frenchies talking about the (in)validity of southern crunk, i.e. NOT real talk?

It can be as valid as folks wanna let it be, and really, it's not for me to say or even care. I just don't like it.

But I will say that the shit you play is not at all DAT TRILL BOLLYCORE. If you ain't playin' Dil Ne Jise Aapna Kahaa*, then you're just another ghora tryin' to be down and brown.

*Yes, I googled "Bollywood Charts."

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    But I will say that the shit you play is not at all DAT TRILL BOLLYCORE. If you ain't playin' Dil Ne Jise Aapna Kahaa*, then you're just another ghora tryin' to be down and brown.

MASALA BEAT CLUB = BACKPACK BHANGRA

But check your charts homie I BEEN playing ish off DHOOM (#2) and FIDA (#8) so you better rekhanize.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Cosign.

Now THAT'S ayo.

If memory serves correct, it was around the corner from "The Stag"?!

Actually just mentioning "I lived in Capitol Hill in Seattle" is the most AYOable thing so far. SF heads don't recognize...

That's Capitol Ill hommie!

you better rekhanize

We have a winner. I rate this post:

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Three things I need a late pass on:

1. Fluxus
    2. "Overalls and Snuff"
    3. Special Police Commandos in Iraq (counterinsurgency v. terrorism?)

3. Special Police Commandos in Iraq (counterinsurgency v. terrorism?)

Unless you worked in the state dept, we were all late on that.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I need to be issued a late pass as a reader of DON DIVA magazine.

As much as I fancy myself having my ear to the streets (), I tried to hate on "The Original Street Bible." However, I picked up the most recent issue last Saturday, and in that one issue alone, I learned:

*How to make bail (did you know the real reason for bail is to lock up all your paper so you won't have enough money to fight your case properly?)

*How to get child support from my deadbeat baby's daddy ("some men will never have shit")

*Things that will affect elasticity of my vagina (ie, having children--not the size of some dude's penis, so he's full of shit if he tries to say it "feels different")

*The grading system for designer clothes on the black market

*How to self-promote my indy single (by Wendy Day; PEOPLE IN NYC DO NOT BUY CDs, THEY BUY MIXTAPES)

*And most importantly, how to keep spyware from crashing my hard drive!

These people are doing a tremendous service to the community by employing ex-felons to and I feel obligated to support them!

• Damm.

Speaking on LATE PASS, I just hadd sexx for the first time last night,
    and I am telling you guys, I should of totally done it earlier.

I was like "ok"

She was like "oh"

I was like "whoa"

She was like "yes"

And then something shot out of me real fast

I was like "damm"

She was like "!"

she was shook ones part 3

and then

It's just a poem that I writ for you girl
    *paper crinkles*
    *singing*