Opposed To The War In Iraq (NRR)

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    [quote
    Sorry, I'm not caught up in your hypothetical world.

Then you shouldn't have entered it
    I'm regretting it more and more.

If Iraq REALLY did have the WMD that Bush was talking about would you invade?

No, because the ones he was "REALLY" talking about were the kind that couldn't be used against the U.S. or Western Europe or a whole bunch of other places if you want to make a big list.

• [quote

hall of mirrors, where truth, common sense and reality are not what they appear.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    [quote

No, because the ones he was "REALLY" talking about were the kind that couldn't be used against the U.S. or Western Europe or a whole bunch of other places if you want to make a big list.

Saddam : "Hello Mr. Motown...just wanted to let you know that at 1:30 this morning we finally figured out how to use the WMD's that we've been using on our own people against some of our enemies"

Mo: What enemies?

S: Well my scientists tell me that we can now kill 1/2 of Pakistan and 2/3rds of India

Mo: Hmmmmm so how many of these folks do you figure you'll kill??

S: Well I just bought some very large Back Hoe's from Haliburton. They were on sale.....they were surplus from some failed oil drilling scheme in Alaska. I figure that I can dig mass graves to fit about 500,000 folks a month with these babies.

Mo: Cool....we can blame Cheney for the graves

S: nah...Dick's a good guy, and besides he's agreed to build me an Olympic Size Swimming Pool....how many bodies do you think I can fit in one of those babies?

Mo: Well we have to blame someone here in the U.S.....who do you suggest.

S: That little Bush bastard.....I hate his daddy.....he's a GD Indian Giver

Mo: OK...I'll put together pages of "facts" and since most Americans can't read it will keep their heads spinning for 2-3 years.

S: That will give me time to develop even better weapons.....I really want to bomb that Bill O'Reilly guys house.....you have his address?

Mo: Wait!!! You mean you wanna bomb the U.S.???

S: Of course, that's the ultimate way to get to sit at the left hand of Allah. Plus I'm getting pretty old and it's hard for me to get laid these days...I need those 72 Virgins ASAP.

Mo: Well OK, I guess everyone gets what they deserve in the end.

NOTE: The following has been a paid comedy bit from Al Franken's evil twin. No egos were damaged during it's creation and a sense of humor is the sign of intelligence......at least that's what Carrot Top told me.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I'm surprised that no one here has even questioned US involvment in WWII. Was war justified in order to eliminate Hitler? Yes. Was the US justified in entering the war? Well, that depends. As much as Rockadelic wishes it would be, it's not a simple question. I would say that if the US had truly entered the war under the pretenses it claimed, then it might have been justified. However, anti-semitism was extremely high in the US during that time, not just in the public, but in business and politics as well. To say the US entered WWII to save the Jews or eliminate a genocidal maniac is wishful thinking. We entered for purely economic reasons (which goes for any other war we've been involved in for the past century). The same can be said about the war in Iraq. What keeps us from viewing these conflicts in the same light is that the current war is exactly that: current. Thirty to forty years from now, when the Iraq war is written about in school textbooks, children might learn only about how President Bush led a righteous crusade against an evil dictator, spreading democracy and civilization in the process. They very likely won't be reading about WMDs, faulty intellegence, massive casualties (military or civilian), or "Plamegate." What if their generation's Speilbergs and Brokaws diffuse the lies and propaganda involved in the war on terror, till nothing remains but black and white, good versus bad, us versus them? My guess is that future generations could only conclude that this is a "just" war.

[quote

Saddam : "Hello Mr. Motown...just wanted to let you know that at 1:30 this morning we finally figured out how to use the WMD's that we've been using on our own people against some of our enemies"

S: Well my scientists tell me that we can now kill 1/2 of Pakistan and 2/3rds of India

S: Well I just bought some very large Back Hoe's from Haliburton. They were on sale.....they were surplus from some failed oil drilling scheme in Alaska. I figure that I can dig mass graves to fit about 500,000 folks a month with these babies.

S: nah...Dick's a good guy, and besides he's agreed to build me an Olympic Size Swimming Pool....how many bodies do you think I can fit in one of those babies?

Mo: OK...I'll put together pages of "facts" and since most Americans can't read it will keep their heads spinning for 2-3 years.

S: That will give me time to develop even better weapons.....I really want to bomb that Bill O'Reilly guys house.....you have his address?

S: Of course, that's the ultimate way to get to sit at the left hand of Allah. Plus I'm getting pretty old and it's hard for me to get laid these days...I need those 72 Virgins ASAP.

NOTE: The following has been a paid comedy bit from Al Franken's evil twin. No egos were damaged during it's creation and a sense of humor is the sign of intelligence......at least that's what Carrot Top told me.
    Dude, I think your hole is deep enough as it is. Do you really want to keep digging?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I for one don't think for a moment that our country is ANY safer from ANY form of attack as a result of the Iraq takeover...

In fact we've galvanized a whole lot of the world against us as a result...

Exactly.

[quote

Dude, I think your hole is deep enough as it is. Do you really want to keep digging?
    Wow it's that digging hole thing again...I've actually heard that in some countries, if you don't agree with the "popular" opinion, they dig a hole for you and put you in it....can you imagine such a thing!!

I'm surprised that no one here has even questioned US involvment in WWII. Was war justified in order to eliminate Hitler? Yes. Was the US justified in entering the war? Well, that depends. As much as Rockadelic wishes it would be, it's not a simple question. I would say that if the US had truly entered the war under the pretenses it claimed, then it might have been justified. However, anti-semitism was extremely high in the US during that time, not just in the public, but in business and politics as well. To say the US entered WWII to save the Jews or eliminate a genocidal maniac is wishful thinking. We entered for purely economic reasons (which goes for any other war we've been involved in for the past century). The same can be said about the war in Iraq. What keeps us from viewing these conflicts in the same light is that the current war is exactly that: current. Thirty to forty years from now, when the Iraq war is written about in school textbooks, children might learn only about how President Bush led a righteous crusade against an evil dictator, spreading democracy and civilization in the process. They very likely won't be reading about WMDs, faulty intellegence, massive casualties (military or civilian), or "Plamegate." What if their generation's Speilbergs and Brokaws diffuse the lies and propaganda involved in the war on terror, till nothing remains but black and white, good versus bad, us versus them? My guess is that future generations could only conclude that this is a "just" war.

I nominate YOU to write all future history books!!

• 1) If WMD's had been found in Iraq would you then support the decision to go to War in Iraq? (Just the decision to go, not the tactics used once we were there)

Yes

2) Do you believe that it's possible WMD's will be used against Western/Democratic civilization during your lifetime?

Yes

3) Has any war that the U.S. has been involved in over the last 100 years been warranted and justified?

Yes

• I for one don't think for a moment that our country is ANY safer from ANY form of attack as a result of the Iraq takeover...

In fact we've galvanized a whole lot of the world against us as a result...

Exactly.

I think you might find that a lot of this hostility was there waaaay before the Invasion (not takeover !) of Iraq...

• cardovacardova 743 Posts

I think you might find that a lot of this hostility was there waaaay before the Invasion (not takeover !) of Iraq...

well i can't speak for anywhere else, but i see anti-american sentiment in europe at an all time high. how much of that is just anti-bush is hard for me to say.

well i can't speak for anywhere else, but i see anti-american sentiment in europe at an all time high. how much of that is just anti-bush is hard for me to say.

Isn't racism at an all-time high in Eu also??

doesn't look like that to me.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I've also been considering this rrecently. After three decades of doing next to nothing, we've effectively thrown down the gauntlet and, like it or not, we're in a war. A serious war that will likely go on for a long time. There are few motivations to engage in a long struggle, God, Family and Country. Progressive politics have just about eviscerated these values from western europe and people like George Soros, the ACLU and the internationalists that, sadly, control the Democratic party are working their hardest to do the same here.

Wow...this friggin American media mislead me again!!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Umm.. Are you saying that the US knew all along at what the nazis were doing?

I was under the impression that the US was trying to get into the war long before anyone knew the horrors.

I think it was just a ploy by BushCos. friends in the auto-industry Rock.

Wow...this friggin American media mislead me again!!

show me. google search for racism europe high didn't help much.

I have a feeling this is going to make me feel a whole lot smarter than I really am....

__________________________________________________________________________________

A short review from the Inter Press Service highlights the rise of neo-Nazism in 2000 in Europe and suggests that ???far from being a fringe activity, racism, violence and neo-nationalism have become normal in some communities. The problems need to tackled much earlier, in schools and with social programmes.???

Ethnic minorities and different cultures in one country can often be used as a scapegoat for the majority during times of economic crisis. That is one reason why Nazism became so popular.

In France, May 2002, the success of far right politician Le Pen in the run for leadership (though he lost out in the end) sent a huge shockwave throughout Europe, about how easy it was for far right parties to come close to getting power if there is complacency in the democratic processes and if participation is reduced.

In various places throughout Western Europe, in 2002, as Amnesty International highlights, there has been a rise in racist attacks and sentiments against both Arabs and Jews, in light of the increasing hostilities in the Middle East.

Earlier in 1998, in an area of Germany a right wing racist party won an unprecedented number of votes.

In Austria, the Freedom Party was able to secure the majority of the cabinet posts. The party is an extreme far right party, whose leader, Jorg Heider, has been accused of sympathetic statements towards the Nazis. The European Union has reacted to this indicating that Austria???s participation may be in jeopardy. This Guardian Special Report has much more in-depth coverage.

In Italy, there are attempts to try and deal with the rise in undocumented immigrants from Tunisia. The reactions from the right wing have been labeled by some as being ???openly racist???.

In 1997, Human Rights Watch noted that, ???The U.K. has one of the highest levels of racially-motivated violence and harassment in Western Europe, and the problem is getting worse.??? In April 1999, London saw two bombs explode in predominantly ethnic minority areas, in the space of one week, where a Nazi group has claimed responsibility. The summer of 2001 saw many race-related riots in various parts of northern England.

Spain has seen increased racial violence lately. The growing economy invites immigrants from North African countries such as Morocco. However, the poor conditions that immigrants have had to endure and the already racially charged region has led to friction and confrontations.

Greece has one of the worst records in the European Union for racism against ethnic minorities, according to the BBC. Anti-immigrant sentiment has long been high, especially against ethnic Albanians, who form the largest minority. Until the 1990s, the BBC notes, Greece had been an extremely homogenous society. With the fall of communism many immigrants from Eastern Europe came to Greece. Albanians especially have been targetted by a lot of racist sentiment. Some hostage taking by a few Albanians in recent years has not helped the situation.

So far, the above represents an incredibly tiny number of examples and details. Many, many more events haven???t been mentioned, as it is admittedly difficult to keep up with all the different items. For more details and up-to-date information, one web site to check out the UK-based Institute of Race Relations and their subsection attemping to document the rising support for the extreme-Right in local and central government in Europe, building on a platform of populist anti-immigrant policies.

try searching the word "freedom" or "democracy" in China while you're on line.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what is the purpose of this thread

what is the purpose of this thread

To drink beer and act like an idiot.....how we doin'??

• Umm.. Are you saying that the US knew all along at what the nazis were doing?

I was under the impression that the US was trying to get into the war long before anyone knew the horrors.

If I remember correctly nobody knew what was happening in the concentration camps for sure until they were liberated although some intelligence had been recieved hinting at the situation, but I think this was after the US joined the war.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ok just checking
    kinda bored at work but not bored enough to post a real response to this thread

If I remember correctly nobody knew what was happening in the concentration camps for sure until they were liberated although some intelligence had been recieved hinting at the situation, but I think this was after the US joined the war.

I actually think that is incorrect, because there were questions about why the allies didnt bomb the camps to put them out of operation

ok just checking

kinda bored at work but not bored enough to post a real response to this thread

If ur really bored I could hook you up with a stream to Bill Gates Live CES Keynote Stream!

HA....

I actually think that is incorrect, because there were questions about why the allies didnt bomb the camps to put them out of operation

But I was talking about before the US entered the war. Not during...

The poster kinda made it seem like the US knew what was going on and didn't care about jews dying, which may have been the reason they didn't enter the war sooner.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Wow it's that digging hole thing again...I've actually heard that in some countries, if you don't agree with the "popular" opinion, they dig a hole for you and put you in it....can you imagine such a thing!!

Rock, you're a victim, face it. The whole Soulstrut community is against you. Fight the power!

• In 1997, Human Rights Watch noted that, ???The U.K. has one of the highest levels of racially-motivated violence and harassment in Western Europe, and the problem is getting worse.??? In April 1999, London saw two bombs explode in predominantly ethnic minority areas, in the space of one week, where a Nazi group has claimed responsibility. The summer of 2001 saw many race-related riots in various parts of northern England.

I'm not saying the UK is perfect but these two items were 5 years ago or more. The riots were in one small location in the north-west of England(this does not make them any less disturbing though.)
    However you will probably find that as we are quite a small nation in comparison to the US that incidents like this recieve a lot greater coverage.
    As an example:-
    If the UK police shoot someone dead during a house seige or robbery it will make the national news(BBC), now I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure the same event in the US is probably an everyday occurence(sadly) and will garner very little coverage.

Well, I can't profess to know either way, but I've read, from what I consider to be a reliable source, that information was received and suppressed regarding the treatment of Jews prior to US entry into the war.

My main point, though, was that I generally hear from people that they feel WWII was a just war because it was a war against facism and tyranny. I can't say I agree with that because there is ample evidence that the US supported facism and tyranny (openly and covertly) both before and after the war. Hell, Roosevelt himself considered Il Duce to be a personal hero.