Married with Children Strutters, A question...

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited May 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
Married with Children Strutters, A question... I was contemplating about life and was wondering, how has having children and kids effected your life? How has it changed your record buying habits? Do you still hang out with the boys? Has it changed you for the bettter?Just wondering cause I think your input could help those who plan on having kids one day or plan on getting married...

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Married with Children Strutters, A question... I was contemplating about life and was wondering, how has having children and kids effected your life? How has it changed your record buying habits? Do you still hang out with the boys? Has it changed you for the bettter?

How Republican of you. Where's Unmarried with Children Strutters? Cohabiting with Children Strutters? Civilly Unionized with Children Strutters?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Married with Children Strutters, A question... I was contemplating about life and was wondering, how has having children and kids effected your life? How has it changed your record buying habits? Do you still hang out with the boys? Has it changed you for the bettter?

Just wondering cause I think your input could help those who plan on having kids one day or plan on getting married...

It has changed my life for the better. Records are not that important to me anymore. I mean, I love music, and music is important, but not having or having OG press of such and such is not important anymore. hording records is not important, record collecting "ethics" is not important, but rather silly.

I still hang out, but not as much. That is because I want to do things with my wife and kid, it is just so damn rewarding.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

It has changed my life for the better. Records are not that important to me anymore. I mean, I love music, and music is important, but not having or having OG press of such and such is not important anymore. hording records is not important, record collecting "ethics" is not important, but rather silly.

I still hang out, but not as much. That is because I want to do things with my wife and kid, it is just so damn rewarding.

Thread over, listen to Beezy.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Where do you see your self in the future? When your kids get into the teen phase, do you think you will start digging even harder during those times or making more tracks if that's what you do?

• dayday 9,612 Posts

ab-so-fucking-lutely

Although I still gotta get mine every once in a while.

Will report back after treadmill hoe down.

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    I got one in the oven and I have just about had it with this record bullshit.

Business is another story... I always handle my business. It's just the inequity of record fiending gets in the way of my family and my " busting a move in the real world goals ".

Translation: I do not have time for those 1 in the morning calls from someone asking about a record by a 450 pound one-armed Samoan marimba player.

As for " hanging out with the boys ".... It's still gonna happen but it is going to have to be exclusive and infrequent.

I anticipate some major changes coming.

ap

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
    I've got 2 daughters and a step-daughter. They have so much going on that my digging is limited to dollar spots and the bay. We basically set aside time for the kids and each other and then I can do what I do. Fortunately I work nights now, so I can go home, sleep and work on a trck before they get out of school and have to ggo to their activities. My best friends are my produvtion partners, so we spend enough time together getting work done that I have that camraderie and friendship around enough not to miss out. All in all it's a great life. I just need a platinum single so I can leave this job shit behind and work on more kids.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm relatively new to the partnered-with-child thing. Ella turns 3 months old today and in 10 days, me and S tie the knot.

I'm surprised by this but I'm not quite as "transformed" as I thought I'd be. Don't get me wrong - parenthood is some other shit that I could never have predicted and certainly, I have to insane, incredible relationship to this new, little person in my life which is amazing and terrifying and over the course of the rest of my life, I know this will have changed it in ways that I can't even begin to foresee.

But outside of that, I can't say that suddenly, records became unimportant or that my personal priorities have shifted much. I'm still into the things I'm into, I still want to hang with the folks I wanted to hang with before. I just have a baby to balance in with that and she gets my priority but it's not like she eclipsed my entire world, you know?

In terms of record shopping, I haven't made a road trip since the baby but I haven't missed it either. I still go to Groove Merchant every week or so but that's chill since I just bring ELla with me, plus Chris and I are good friends and have daughters who are only six months apart so we spend half the time talking raers, the other half, talking kids. I think that's great.

I think everybody reacts differently. Obviously this is a huge change that you have to adjust to and different people find ways of making that transition. For me, it hasn't turned my life upside down. It's just improved it in its own, special way.

Oliver

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

Just wondering cause I think your input could help those who plan on having kids one day or plan on getting married...

Hugely[/b] changed my life for the better. Without my wife I'm not sure I'd be alive today. The birth of my son is the best thing that ever happened to me.

That said, I came to both marriage and fatherhood relatively late in the game. Not sure I'd recommend either to anyone under 25.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    After the birth of Miabella, my digging has not skipped a beat. I find time for family and for myself. What can I say? Digging relaxes me. It's a hobby just like some dudes play tennis or jog. Also, as my eBay volume grows, my wife has been very chill about me going out twice a week to make some extra loot.

Also, before you have the kid. Discuss your wants and needs with your spouse. I like to go on a couple road trips per year just to get out and hang with the homeez because I have no homeez here in Sellersville. So, make that perfectly clear. I'm going away for 4 days up to Montreal and the guilt has been laid on pretty thick about me leaving my wife alone with the kid.. I lucked out that her mom is going away to the beach this weekend and I suggested she go with her. Also.. it doesn't hurt to give her jewelry as a reward for being a good mom and never getting the chance to go away with her friends.

Bottom line: Find time for family, but also find time for yourself. I know that sounds selfish, but dudes can't be with the fam 24-7. We need our time, just like we need one room in the house to ourselves.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Records are not that important to me anymore. [/b]
    ab-so-fucking-lutely

...DocBreezy, RayStar, Day...

These 3 poptarts need to get banned. They are violating! Straight UP and DOWN.

!!!VIOLATING!!![/b]

Kids before hip-hop? C'mon! There is no "K," "I," "D," or "S" in ELEMENT! Unless the little one carries your cardboard, cleans your fat tips, holds your mic, or alphabetizes the crates, there just ain't no room in hip-hop for the kid!

Take that shit to www.IUsedToLoveHER-ThenISoldTheFuckOut.com, son!

THERE'S A REASON THEY DON'T SELL THIS AS A ONESIE![/b]

(i keed i keed -- baby pictures please!)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Records are not that important to me anymore. [/b]
    ab-so-fucking-lutely

...DocBreezy, RayStar, Day...

These 3 poptarts need to get banned. They are violating! Straight UP and DOWN.

!!!VIOLATING!!![/b]

Well.. If you say so:

My Pride and Muthafuckin' Joy!

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

My little dude...

Last night I was spinning some new arrivals on the GP3 while I fed him his dinner. He was grooving in his high chair to Willie West's 'Fair Child', and kept leaning over trying to grab the record player. Kid's got good taste.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm gonna turn this thread over - I'd like to hear from diggers with teenagers. THAT'S who's really qualified to speak. Did you stop digging at some point, or did you keep on with it? Did you sell the whole collection, or did you hold on to what you had? And are the kids now allowed to go through the records? If they are DJ's themselves, do you let them borrow your discs, or are you gonna get all like Reuben Wilson: "Got to get your own, 'cause I sure ain't gonna give you none?"

Even though I am single, I've always wondered about this aspect myself. I've had friends who told me they stopped their vinyl collecting cold and unloaded the whole shot to pay for the kids, but then again these people were obsessives who had 30 copies of the same Jimmy Smith record.

Pictures? I dont know if i have.......

well allright i found a couple

Thaden and his mommy

The good Dr. Beezy and Thaden

Trying to sit up...."you can do it!"

I swear this little dude is pimp material

Oh and dont get it twisted I still get mine with records, but only important ones and they come second (of course). I used to get antsy, like when i heard about a big collection or what not, but those days are gone.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I started digging because I was gonna be a father. My daughter was born five days after my 20th birthday and it was a big reality check. I was living pretty foul, drinking every night, selling drugs, getting into fights, and writing graffitti. I was unfocused with my life and my school. I had also been going out with her mom for three months and I had to move to Indiana where I knew no one, and leave all my friends NYC. I had to change my life and that included replacing my bad habits. Since I had always been into music and I lived really close to a record shop I started digging. Five years later things are good, I finished my masters, am making legit money, and don't ever look back. My kid goes with me to record stores and fleas and gets excited, I've even taken her to WFMU where she loves looking through the children's bins. I always pick up one or two records for her, gave her my big bird record player, and she is all set. I make it out with my friends every so often, I think one needs to, just because you are a parent doesn't mean you gotta be all plain yogurt. Its all about finding a balance for time for your kid, wife/wifey, and yourself. The pick is from Halloween, she was a cheerleader-masked-robber.

• All these photos and stories put smiles on my face!!!!

This is my first upload using image shack. How can I enlare the pic???

there you go homie

• you cats are just getting started...it's true that newborns and toddlers gobble up time and money but I have a 14 and a 15 yr old and I can tell you from experience that the worst is yet to come. I'm sure that in 10 or 12 yrs. most of you w. kids will be in a different place with relation to records and money, but as soon as your kids become 'aware'....ohh about 9 yrs.....thats when the trouble starts.
    Gear---they got to have the freshest....especially girls. Boys clothes are as much as mens.
    Kicks---$10 becomes $100
    Food---my son is 6' 2"......nufff said
    Sports--this is where they get ya. Entry dough. More kicks. You become a taxi driver and gas ain't cheap. My daughters volley ball club cost $600 just to join. I wanted to save money on my sons basketball kicks to I let him use my JOrdan 10's instead. He's now gone through 10, 11, and 12.
    Free time---what's that?
    Ebay--what's that?

ahhh..the joys of child bearing. Keep your head up youngblood, and start planning

you cats are just getting started...it's true that newborns and toddlers gobble up time and money but I have a 14 and a 15 yr old and I can tell you from experience that the worst is yet to come. I'm sure that in 10 or 12 yrs. most of you w. kids will be in a different place with relation to records and money, but as soon as your kids become 'aware'....ohh about 9 yrs.....thats when the trouble starts.
    Gear---they got to have the freshest....especially girls. Boys clothes are as much as mens.
    Kicks---$10 becomes $100
    Food---my son is 6' 2"......nufff said
    Sports--this is where they get ya. Entry dough. More kicks. You become a taxi driver and gas ain't cheap. My daughters volley ball club cost $600 just to join. I wanted to save money on my sons basketball kicks to I let him use my JOrdan 10's instead. He's now gone through 10, 11, and 12.
    Free time---what's that?
    Ebay--what's that?

ahhh..the joys of child bearing. Keep your head up youngblood, and start planning

I knew there would be a downer somewhere.

I aint too much worried. We got the cash.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    You all have beautiful kids!

I'm finding it increasingly hard to do things I need to do (gigs, recording, etc.) the older they get, but it's a small trade off. I know things will get balanced one of these days.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

This is my first upload using image shack. How can I enlare the pic???

there you go homie

Good Doctor,

thanks a ot!

But how did you do this? What link do I have to copy/paste?

On the small image on the site, right click and select "view image"

a new url will appear in the browser. Copy that and insert that in the image html.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    On the small image on the site, right click and select "view image"

a new url will appear in the browser. Copy that and insert that in the image html.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Tried to do it but no image... I'm such a lil dude when it comes this ish. Damn.

right click on the image that i posted. Choose view image. it will open the pic up alone in a browser window. Then copy that url. Then try to insert that.

that may help

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

Thanks man!