Rolling Stones U.S. Tour Nets $162 Million

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Great band but c'mon....isn't it time to hang it up and let some younger artists taste some of that $162 mil???After this recent success I can only imagine what they are planning for their 2010 TourTHE ROLLING STONES STEEL WHEELCHAIR TOURCome hear the Stones update all their greatest hits...Time Used To Be On My SideAs Years Go By(I Can't Get No) Social SecurityGrandmother's Little HelperLimping Jack FlashGimme (Tax) SheltersThe Last Time(Again)(Hey You) Get Off My Oxygen LineJump Start Me UpCan't You Hear Me Knockin'(St. Peter)Time Waits For No OneFeel free to add some more

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    as scary as it is to think of them still playing, I'm sure the people who still attend their concerts are scarier yet.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What's worth noting is that thanks to the Stones, U2, McCartney, concert touring made an all-time record score in revenues (3.1 billion I think) which is up from 2.8 billion in 2004.

Yet, attendance has fallen (again)...all this means is that less people are spending more. And moreover, that the main people shelling out are baby boomers rather than young folk. That makes sense: the Anger Management Tour wouldn't have been able to get away charging $100+ per ticket the same way the Stones and U2 did.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What's worth noting is that thanks to the Stones, U2, McCartney, concert touring made an all-time record score in revenues (3.1 billion I think) which is up from 2.8 billion in 2004.

Yet, attendance has fallen (again)...all this means is that less people are spending more. And moreover, that the main people shelling out are baby boomers rather than young folk. That makes sense: the Anger Management Tour wouldn't have been able to get away charging $100+ per ticket the same way the Stones and U2 did.

McCartney was $250 a pop here in Dallas...and two of our best local clubs have closed in the last few weeks!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Props to The Stones. Keep that shit going, gentlemen.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    The Eagles were the 2nd highest grossing tour band of 2005.
    This is after 8 years of "reunion tours".
    My dad plays in the band.
    They sell out overy show they play.
    I go to all the shows when they are here in town.
    Crowd age ranges from 10 to 80 years of age.
    EVERY single person knows EVERY lyric.
    Fucking amazing!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I was at the dr.'s office the other day and they had their year in review issue. It had the top 50 albums of the year. The Rolling Stones new album was number 4 I believe. Give me a break. I know it's not the best magazine in the world. Get off the stones dick already.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    dont see nothing wrong with oldies touring, i'd never get the chance to see Prince Buster w/ skatalites a few years ago if they didn't and that shit was religious...i will say that certain types of bands should NOT tour...sex pistols at age 50 comes to mind...

i always think of this type of question when it comes to hip hop, and i feel, ghosface is one of the few i'd STILL see if he was 60 or something, he'l be entertaining forever.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I always think of this when I see that Grateful Dead video where they are all skeletons playing on stage.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I always think of this when I see that Grateful Dead video where they are all skeletons playing on stage.

thats the "touch of grey" video. I think their only music video. But I think of this as well

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

And yet most of the attendees would think we were crazy for spending $50 on a record that we can enjoy in perpetuity.

• The Eagles were the 2nd highest grossing tour band of 2005.
    Fucking amazing!

"Come on man, I had a bad day and I hate the fuckin' Eagles..."

Yeah, I'm kinda sore at the Stones too. I shelled out over $700.00 for my Pops and I to go see the Stones here 3 years ago for, what was suppost to be, their last tour (40 Licks Tour). I went all out for Pops for Christmas that year. Dinner, Drinks, 8th Row, Dead Center, the whole package. Trying to capture a lasting memory type thing.

Now here they come again, with yet another tour and straight robbing their fans (that they supposedly love and hold in such high reguards...) at $200 each for the nosebleeds! Poor Pops had his puppy dog eyes in effect at me this year.

Sorry old man, hoped you lived it up when you and I went, cause I aint giving any of these geriatric dead-beat dads one more red cent of my money.

Hey Mick, Jerry Hall is busted and has no ass. You can eat a dick.

"Street Fighting Man" is still the shit though.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    no dis to your dad, but the eagles suck.

I also think the stones need to hang it up, its just rediculous now.

• "Street Fighting Man" is still the shit though.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts

No dis but YOU suck.

Can you explain exactly how they suck?
    Personal taste and musical ability are 2 different things.
    OKAY if you don't like their music personally, but that does not mean they suck as a band or as musicians.
    In fact I would say that you are in the minority considering they have millions of fans worldwide. I guess all those people need to be schooled by you about what is good right?
    Personally I only like about 30% of their entire catalog and my pops hates them even more but I cannot argue with their ability. Their musical lineage goes waaaay farther than your tiny scope of "what doesn't suck". Remember the James Gang? I suppose they sucked too when funk 49 became a top 5 hit worldwide. I do believe Joe Walsh from the Eagles wrote that song and they still perform it flawlessly today. I will also always love the way the Beastie Boys flipped "these shoes" for Pauls Boutique. I hope all these old bands continue to tour as long as the public continues to pay. That does not make me mad at all and why should it? These guys were writing hits at 19 years old and collaberating with other greats such as Jack Tempchin. Very progressive if you ask me.

I think these things should be recognized and respected regardless of the fact that I might not like all the music all the time.

Can you play any instruments? Can you play every note perfectly in front of 20,000?

I can't either.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The Eagles were the 2nd highest grossing tour band of 2005.
    Fucking amazing!

"Come on man, I had a bad day and I hate the fuckin' Eagles..."

Yeah, I'm kinda sore at the Stones too. I shelled out over $700.00 for my Pops and I to go see the Stones here 3 years ago for, what was suppost to be, their last tour (40 Licks Tour). I went all out for Pops for Christmas that year. Dinner, Drinks, 8th Row, Dead Center, the whole package. Trying to capture a lasting memory type thing.

Now here they come again, with yet another tour and straight robbing their fans (that they supposedly love and hold in such high reguards...) at $200 each for the nosebleeds! Poor Pops had his puppy dog eyes in effect at me this year.

Sorry old man, hoped you lived it up when you and I went, cause I aint giving any of these geriatric dead-beat dads one more red cent of my money.

Hey Mick, Jerry Hall is busted and has no ass. You can eat a dick.

"Street Fighting Man" is still the shit though.

hahahaha!!!!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

No dis but YOU suck.

Can you explain exactly how they suck?
    Personal taste and musical ability are 2 different things.
    OKAY if you don't like their music personally, but that does not mean they suck as a band or as musicians.
    In fact I would say that you are in the minority considering they have millions of fans worldwide. I guess all those people need to be schooled by you about what is good right?
    Personally I only like about 30% of their entire catalog and my pops hates them even more but I cannot argue with their ability. Their musical lineage goes waaaay farther than your tiny scope of "what doesn't suck". Remember the James Gang? I suppose they sucked too when funk 49 became a top 5 hit worldwide. I do believe Joe Walsh from the Eagles wrote that song and they still perform it flawlessly today. I will also always love the way the Beastie Boys flipped "these shoes" for Pauls Boutique. I hope all these old bands continue to tour as long as the public continues to pay. That does not make me mad at all and why should it? These guys were writing hits at 19 years old and collaberating with other greats such as Jack Tempchin. Very progressive if you ask me.

I think these things should be recognized and respected regardless of the fact that I might not like all the music all the time.

Can you play any instruments? Can you play every note perfectly in front of 20,000?

I can't either.

I am a huge rock fan, but the Eagles have always been on my short list of shittiest, most overrated bands of all time... I do love me some James Gang though

Props to your dad though, definitely status... he must be making a FORTUNE off that shit...

The Stones made a lot of great music for a long time, but they definitely need to hang it up... a friend checked them out recently cuz he could see/hear a show from his yard but said it was crappy...

What I wanna know is: will folks of our generation be paying hundreds to see a 60-something Jay-Z performing his early hits???