audiophiles are...weird

taiconderogataiconderoga 123 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55772"Since I now have my Sony PS3000 turntable operational again after 20 years, I now have two nice belt drive tables and can't decide on which one to keep hooked up in my system. My Adcom GFP555II preamp can only has a single phono stage. I have been unplugging and plugging them back and forth for several days, trying to decide.Then I remembered that the Sony 2000 preamp that I also bought in the late 1960's has two separate phono stages in it. I unpacked that beast and added it to my audio rack. Now I have both the Thorens TD125MKII and Sony PS3000 turntables connected to the Sony 2000 preamp, then fed into the Adcom preamp using the tape out jacks, and I can easily switch back and forth between them for comparison purposes. I might just leave both of them connected for awhile now.This also opened up the phono stage in the Adcom preamp for my Garrard Zero 92, that I use for 78's and 45's. I was using a cheap separate phono stage for it, but this sounds much better.So now I have three turntables connected to my system, and my wife thinks I have finally gone totally wacko. I haven't yet told her that because I have a 2nd Sony 2000 preamp, that I could actually add two more turntables to the system. :-)

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Hey, whatever makes ya happy (or able to function without a tic).

• So now I have three turntables connected to my system, and my wife thinks I have finally gone totally wacko.

He now needs a copy of God Made Me Funky + Mardi Gras and get those 3 turntables moved into his kitchen

• chasechase 767 Posts
    ha, you think that is crazy, check the guys @ diyaudio.com

this guy is building his own turntable out of corian

man I wish I had time/money like that

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    you're just finding that out?

• There's a blog somewhere of a guy who has a pen that is supposedly to reduce interference with his stereo system if you use it on metal jacks and plugs.

So the whole thing is him marking up EVERY jack or plug in his house, then listen to music to test if it sounds any better. Entries like

"used pen to mark batteries on remote control. listened to beethoven's fifth, sounds slightly sweeter"

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    ha, you think that is crazy, check the guys @ diyaudio.com

this guy is building his own turntable out of corian

man I wish I had time/money like that

That was pretty facinating to read. Thanks!