FINAL 2005 WEEKEND / FIRST 2006 WEEKEND FINDS !!!

2»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    my big "find" today was the fact that the store I wanted to go to was open at all. I pulled myself away from football hangover sofa sloth and drove over to I* Y**r E*r. The place was so dead I packed a bowl and got the dude behind the counter high. Unfortunately, it made him all paranoid and he kept acting like I was trying to get him to hook up the price in return...PSYCH POP FOLK SHIT FOR DAYS:

excuse the lens flare on the Chuck J. - I'm still getting used to this digi cam style.

2 on the left are nice scores. Jameson is about as good as pop psych gets, some really slick folky stuff produced by Curt Boettecher, with a great sound, in a Left Banke stylee. Mud has some seriously sick funky rock tracks, some hard as fuck drums and genuinely excellent guitar throughout. Both of these albums are on eBay right now for comparative steals - Mud with a day left no bids for $6 and if you like funky psych rock trust me on this one (search for mud uni), and the Jameson is up for $15 but considering that the last one went for over $100, and how good it is, it's well worth it - search for jameson "color him in" to check that one out (noaffiliate). Len Novy is more folky pop psych, not as good, but it does have awesome players on it, including Chuck Rainey, and some real nice moments. Merryweather (gatefold) is excellent psych-blues-rock although that copy is pretty rough. Don Preston, on the right with the pig, is a white blues LP that has excellent playing (esp. guitar) and his voice is pretty legit. Good over-the-top version of Wilson Pickett's "99 1/2."

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

nice one, that LP hasn't turned up for me, got the scorpio 'reissue'. The title track is an underrated (re: cheep!) 45, nice funky groover with a salsa/boogaloo breakdown towards the end. Found a bunch of copies in Eddie's 3-Way in Nahlins (RIP) in the spring.

$??

Me too!!! Did Eddie's place survive the flooding???

the downstairs barbershop was damaged heavily from the floods, i drove past to see the waterline. the records are probably fine as they are in the attic area, however, as far as I know there is still no power in that part of the city as well as very few residents. in other words... no way for eddie to sell records and make any income in the meantime.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    got some nice 45s...

latimore - sweeet vibrations/something 'bout 'cha
    laura lee - two lovely pillows/rip off
    mcguire sisters - rhythm n blues/something's gotta give
    honey cone - want ads/we belong together
    new birth - i can understand it/oh baby i love the way
    5th dimension - one less bell to answer/feelin' alright

and this pin in carmel this weekend:

the pin is up for grabs

• Last 3 days:

Ricardo Ray and Bobby Cruz - Los Durisimos (Alegre)
    Wild Butter - S/T (United Artists)
    The Damnation of Adam Blessing - S/T (United Artists)