Reissue vs. Original ????????

1219197712191977 323 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Yes Im a newby to SS and only 3 years record collecting/DJin. I got some cool OG stuff but Im all about some reissue stuff cause (a)I missed the golden age of finding the sick raer's (b) I aint paying millions for records and (c) I aint gonna find it in a thrift store. Whats the verdict on spinning reissues live. Its all about the music right ??? peace mr.f

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    best user ID EVAR!

• Nah, it's not all about the music, it's about impressing those 4 nerdy looking guys sitting in the corner who point and then laugh amongst themselves everytime they see someone playing a copy of Mardi Gras WITH the bells....

It's those guys you want to be impressing, so cop OGs STRICTLY...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Its all about the music right

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    One argument is that many reissues/bootlegs are (significantly) inferior in sound quality to the originals, so if it was REALLY ???all about the music??? then you should desire to hear the music in its best form. And with this I tend to agree.

• you should only play OG records

you should be mad and not have a good time if you see a dj using serato

you should ask lengthy, detailed questions about the smell of the OG records when you buy them

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Its all about the music right

Whatever rocks the party.

It's nice to breakout the Brother's Johnson picture disc........but otherwise mofos dont give a shit if it's white label or private label.

• best user ID EVAR!

User ID = birthdate

Sweet...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Yes Im a newby to SS and only 3 years record collecting/DJin. I got some cool OG stuff but Im all about some reissue stuff cause (a)I missed the golden age of finding the sick raer's (b) I aint paying millions for records and (c) I aint gonna find it in a thrift store. Whats the verdict on spinning reissues live. Its all about the music right ???

peace
    mr.f

only cop og's if you want to impress three dudes in the club, rock the house if you want to impress the remaining 397 people.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    best user ID EVAR!

User ID = birthdate

Sweet...

can we get an SSN too?

• One argument is that many reissues/bootlegs are (significantly) inferior in sound quality to the originals, so if it was REALLY ???all about the music??? then you should desire to hear the music in its best form. And with this I tend to agree.

As do I... But what about (early) second pressings? Unless it's a mono-stereo conversion, the sound quality is usually identical to the original. What are your thoughts on that?

I get a bit anal with shit like this and tend do seek out the original. But it is all about the music, so sometimes I'll get a second/later pressing to hold me over until I find an OG. I'm also speaking primarily in regards to jazz. I love OGs but there are some titles that you simply won't see. In that case, I would most def' go with a second pressing over a recent re-issue.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Another argument is that many reissues/bootlegs are as good or significantly superior in sound quality to the originals

One argument is that many reissues/bootlegs are (significantly) inferior in sound quality to the originals, so if it was REALLY ???all about the music??? then you should desire to hear the music in its best form. And with this I tend to agree.

As do I... But what about (early) second pressings? Unless it's a mono-stereo conversion, the sound quality is usually identical to the original. What are your thoughts on that?

I get a bit anal with shit like this and tend do seek out the original. But it is all about the music, so sometimes I'll get a second/later pressing to hold me over until I find an OG. I'm also speaking primarily in regards to jazz. I love OGs but there are some titles that you simply won't see. In that case, I would most def' go with a second pressing over a recent re-issue.

many larger group jazz records sound better in stereo (i.e. Sketches of Spain).

im not sure if they were putting both out at the same time though?

• Another argument is that many reissues/bootlegs are as good or significantly superior in sound quality to the originals

Funky (Richmond)Virginia in the house........what's up Fatback (Richmond,VA newby)

Another argument is that many reissues/bootlegs are as good or significantly superior in sound quality to the originals

Funky (Richmond)Virginia in the house........what's up Fatback (Richmond,VA newby)

the dreaded moving of a fucking zillion rackords.

• ahhhh, the age old question

IMO I would rather dj with the reissues because I don't want to risk my og's getting messed up or stolen. The og's I keep in my room to play for my friends while I hide the cover to make sure they can't find out who it is.

• many larger group jazz records sound better in stereo (i.e. Sketches of Spain).

im not sure if they were putting both out at the same time though?

Typically, the stereo versions followed the mono versions because it was a later technology. Something like Sketches of Spain may be particularly better in stereo because of all the spacious arrangements Miles was doing, although the OG mono copy sounds pretty damn impressive as well. But with most of the conversions however, the mono copies are actually more sought after because of their quality compared to the electronically-converted stereo pressings.

But you know, it's not always the case so you can never rule anything out completely.

Something like Sketches of Spain may be particularly better in stereo because of all the spacious arrangements Miles Gil Evans was doing

Well, in keeping with the idea that it's "all about the music," I see nothing wrong with enjoying a second/later pressings of equal (or greater) sound quality to the original. A second/later pressing may not satisfy all of one's complex collecting needs, but at least you aren't cheating yourself out of hearing the music in a superior, high quality form, as you risk doing when you settle for a (low quality) reissue/bootleg.

satisfy all of one's complex collecting needs

LOL

• do you have one of these?

Human# 1485-12191997?

• Something like Sketches of Spain may be particularly better in stereo because of all the spacious arrangements Miles Gil Evans was doing playing

You knew what I meant!

• Nah, it's not all about the music, it's about impressing those 4 nerdy looking guys sitting in the corner who point and then laugh amongst themselves everytime they see someone playing a copy of Mardi Gras WITH the bells....

It's those guys you want to be impressing, so cop OGs STRICTLY...

Couldn't have said it better....

I just deserve (and want) the best out of life, and I am deeply saddened when it appears that others have not come to a similar realization.

• do you have one of these?

Human# 1485-12191997?

yes Im numbered and so are all of yous.......and dont forget that this weird little record fetish thing is really just a way for the matrix to keep you passified.

• There is a lot of rare stuff that you won't see unless you get the reissue, and at the same time, there is a lot of shit that is kind of common that has been reissued.

I'm surprised at the responses in this thread, some time ago people asked this and you got the "its all about the music man" people, while most people were like "pull up your diggin' pampers son, why you want Penny Goodwin reissues when you don't even have any James Brown records, you fucking toy." I say do what you want to do, its your money, but the collectros of the world are watching and judging.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    All I wanna know is where is the comic book bizarro board to the strut. I wanna know if guys are on there right now talking about OG comics, to reish/bootlegs, to fucking Action Comics #1 on a .pdf file.

In saying that. U gots to be crazy playing out OG shit. I don't know how many times I've heard dudes telling me stories of getting their shit ripped off when playing out or lost on a flight. They look like they lost their first bornz. Do you ever even care until shit happens to you?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    All I wanna know is where is the comic book bizarro board to the strut. I wanna know if guys are on there right now talking about OG comics, to reish/bootlegs, to fucking Action Comics #1 on a .pdf file.

Comic cats buy second printing/reprints if the OG is hard too find. I cop trade paperbacks if i dont want to
    get all the back issues. It all depends on the object. I gotta bring my Stezo lp out to play the album tracks. The album hasnt been repressed so I'll chance it in the public(just to throw a curve to the crowd).
    The reason to collect is to cop the original. But aquiring the clones isnt blasphemy.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    do you have one of these?

Human# 1485-12191997?

yes Im numbered and so are all of yous.......and dont forget that this weird little record fetish thing is really just a way for the matrix to keep you passified.

• best user ID EVAR!

User ID = birthdate

Sweet...

and here I thought is was referring to the number of times this question has been asked.

• you should ask lengthy, detailed questions about the smell of the OG records when you buy them