Do I need an ipod?

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
So my Mom was kind enough to get me an ipod nano for xmas, and I returned it. It might have been a little knee jerk (the clerk said "you just made somebodys day") but the Nano's especially seem a little gimmicky and not too practical as far as storage goes. Thing is that rather than give me credit or cash best buy just put it back on her credit card. And she's insisting that if I want the money I have to use it for "something big" because otherwise I'll "just spend all the money on records". So rather than spending all the money on records, as I had planned, I'm thinking of kicking a little more money her way and getting a 60 gig model.I'm an absolute neophyte with the ipod thing, despite being mac and mp3 saavy. Can I plug a mic into it and record? Will It break easily? What's the lifespan of one of them? Will it be filled with meat? Will i be able to impress the 15 year old girls with one? Or should I have kept the nano for that? Is there a cheaper mp3 player that functions better and won't make me feel like such a johnny come lately trend hopping fag? Should I just put that money to DILDO or some other cool technological gadgetry that i probably don't need? Where dem dollas at?I've got about a thousand tapes that I don't feel like digitizing and I'm a lot more comfortable with taking a $20 walkman on a jog than a $400 fancy lad piece of hardware.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    huh huh... huh huh...

he said Dildo...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Noz, I just got the 30 gig model, and unless you really want to use it as a storage device, the 60 gig model seems like a bit of overkill. Granted, it is not much more for twice the space, so there is that side of it.

I just find that the same ADD-leanings that lend themselves to buying more records than I can listen to, drives my iPod listening habits as well. I have at least 25 gigs full on mine, and I spend a LOT of time just flipping through shit. I ain't complaining, and I am sure I could eventually fill up 60 no problem (especially with podcasts, which are a pretty great thing), but I find 30 to be plenty.

That being said, I am really liking my iPod.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    hey man,
    i own an iriver h320 as recommended by someone on this site, and one of the best purchases i've made in my life...problem is that its out of production but you can ebay some of the models still (in my opinion after doing a lot of research, id say its the epitome of the best mp3 player out there) but that's out of production so u might not want to swing that way. DONT FUCK WITH IRIVERS newer 20 gb models...they fucking suck, and are dumbed down to compete with ipods.

if i got my h320 stolen today, i would buy another h320 or buy a cowan iaudio x5 which is very similar set of features to the iriver h320:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1833882,00.asp

a benefit of the h320 over ipod in your particular case if you have to digitize 1000 tapes or whatever, you can just dump those mp3s into your iriver as if you were going through files in windows explorer(this was a major issue for why i chose i river as well), with the ipod youd have to rename everything with tags for it to be organize properly in itunes. you can use your iriver like a mini hard drive. also it comes with fm radio and ability to record at great quality (ie digitizing vinyl/tapes straight into the player without a computer)

do u need a 20 gb player? yes. if not for the music, at least for the podcasts (wink) but for real, its a great educational tool, i love listening to audio books on the way to and from work and filling my head with knowledge i thought was boring in highschool.
    good luck

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Noz,

You have officially blown my fucking mind. I cannot believe that you, of all people, do not own an iPod.

To answer your question: spent the extra loot, cop the 60BG jawn if you want (at hte very least, use the extra memory to back-up all your MP3s) and then join the rest of humanity in realizing: "hey, this is actually a pretty cool device."

I'm not saying it's essential. But I think you'd appreciate it.

Answers to your questions:

You can't plug in a mic: you'd need a separte device to allow you to record on it.

It will survive a drop from waist-level but I wouldn't recommend doing it often. It's good to get a decent case for it.

Lifespan is hard to call: after a year, all bets are off. WACK but true. The hard drive holds up. The battery has been a problem in the past, Apple supposedly has fixed it, but I wouldn't put money on that.

You will not impress 15 year old girls with them. You dirty, filthy, pervert.

You could cop another MP3 player, by Creative Zen for example, but dude, the iPod has not risen to its level of success simply on the basis of consumers being lemmings. It is a very excellent product in many ways, ESPECIALLY aesthetics. Seriously, hold the iPod in your hand and then check out a competitor. It doesn't fucking compare. Not remotely close.

If the choice were between an Ipod and Serato Dildo???, that's a tough call. I'd still go with the iPod first but if you really don't think you'd want any kind of MP3 player, then sure, go with Dildo???.

what exactly is a "podcast"?

what exactly is a "podcast"?

a stupid term to describe any mp3 recording on any topic under the sun. just like blogs there are tons out there on any topic you can think of....think of them as audio books but not as formal. i particularly like design and science ones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting

so, just like a random dude talking about something?

check the categories here
    http://www.podcast.net/

so, just like a random dude talking about something?

Crinky:

Think of podcasts as mini-radio programs. Covers the spectrum of anything: spoken, music, whatever.

• Noz,

Get the iAudio X5 from Cowon (www.cowonamerica.com). I have one and I love it. 20 GB is a loooot of space. And you can record line in, listen to FM radio, watch video, store photos, take stuff on and off easily (unlike an iPod), and it has a built-in mic! It's very, very dope. But I think you have to buy it from their site; not sure if stores have them.

I have the X5L myself. It's a little thicker, but that's because it has an extra battery in it. It'll go for 35 hours between charges. Beat that, iPod!

Noz,

Get the iAudio X5 from Cowon (www.cowonamerica.com). I have one and I love it. 20 GB is a loooot of space. And you can record line in, listen to FM radio, watch video, store photos, take stuff on and off easily (unlike an iPod), and it has a built-in mic! It's very, very dope. But I think you have to buy it from their site; not sure if stores have them.

I have the X5L myself. It's a little thicker, but that's because it has an extra battery in it. It'll go for 35 hours between charges. Beat that, iPod!

hey hogg, does it have an option of inputing through an external mic?

also can you drag files into folders using explorer?

i saw some here in toronto, but i already bought my iriver a few months ago...

35 hours is fucking insane!

Noz,

If you're already a Mac guy: get the iPod. Everyone complains about how "the iPod doesn't have an FM radio...or this or that" and really? Who cares? I don't need a convergence device that can do everything for me so long as what I do have is really good at what it's supposed to do.

• Noz,

Yeah, you should be able to plug in an external mic and run it through the line-in. Actually, I don't know if you can do that. But you don't really need to; I used the mic for an interview and couldn't believe how good it sounded.

And yes, you can just drag files using explorer. Very dope.

• no

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i like my shuffle a lot more than the old ipod i have. i just load it up with mixtapes or tracks im planning on putting in a mix and then i hit the streets. plus it's a lot lighter, i can transfer files without a cable, the battery life is insane, and it's better for the gym which i haven't been to in several months.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    worried about jumping on the bandwagon and looking like a lemming by buying an ipod is the stupidest reason ever to not buy one.

really think about that for a second, do you really care about what other people think? Or are you that insecure to be worried about pettyness like that.

If you already use a mac, then an ipod is definitely the wisest choice. If you're on a pc, then explore other options if you wish.

http://ipodbatteryfaq.com/

good site that addresses the major misconceptions of ipods.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    go for it and get the 60 while you're at it. Gives you lot of room to grow and you can even put dvd rips and tv shows on it if you have commute time. The screen is sufficient for viewing and it's worth every dime...just $100 more to go from 30 to 60 gig. Definitely get a protective case for it though and also grab an I-trip if you are inclined.

• ross,
    i'm trying to decide between a iriver h320 (repped hard by many on the board) and a iaudio x5 myself. have you tried both units? what is the advantage of the cowon to the iriver (if you have)? thanks again to alienidn for the info.
    l

ps-noz pm sent

Noz,

Yeah, you should be able to plug in an external mic and run it through the line-in. Actually, I don't know if you can do that. But you don't really need to; I used the mic for an interview and couldn't believe how good it sounded.

And yes, you can just drag files using explorer. Very dope.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    ps: if you're rough with your shit, then stay away from hard drive based mp3 players. They are afterall hard drives and many people forget this. They're prone to bumps and bruises, and the dreaded magnet. Girls with magnetic enclosures on their purses with ipods are not a good look.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

A -

Could you drop the name of the store(s) w/ this available - the Cowon?

Thanks.

• To echo odub - the iPods don't do everything, but they do what they are supposed to do very very well. They are popular because they are very well designed (both hardware and interface) and integrated into the apple suite of programs. Apple has gone through a few revisions and got most of the kinks out.

The sync'ing is very powerful. I have my 60 gig sync'd to my iTunes library, contacts (from my address book), photos (from iPhoto), and podcasts (news and whatnot). So I just load up in the AM and don't even worry about it, I've always got new content to listen to.

The shuffle is great if you want it mainly for the gym. It's basically indestructable. Just bought one (512 meg) for the wife for xmas. I own a 60 gig and a 1 gig shuffle.

PS: the word on its release is the latest iPod (video) supports 44.1 khz / 16 bit recording of wav or mp3s. But I haven't kept up to date on that, check the mac rumor sites if you're curious.

• And she's insisting that if I want the money I have to use it for "something big" because otherwise I'll "just spend all the money on records".

Many parents advocating saving or investing.

noz's mom: "You must buy something BIG!"

I just found that line amusing.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    i been doin just fine without one.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    ps: if you're rough with your shit, then stay away from hard drive based mp3 players. They are afterall hard drives and many people forget this. They're prone to bumps and bruises, and the dreaded magnet. Girls with magnetic enclosures on their purses with ipods are not a good look.
    Unless I'm mistaken, I think all the new iPod models are based off of 2GIG flash memory. I don't think any of them have hard drives anymore (which is why they are so thin).

I like my iPod a lot. My drunk ex-girlfriend smacked my iPod out of my hand once when I tried to make out with her in an elevator. Got a dent in it but it still works fine

Unless I'm mistaken, I think all the new iPod models are based off of 2GIG flash memory. I don't think any of them have hard drives anymore (which is why they are so thin).

I like my iPod a lot. My drunk ex-girlfriend smacked my iPod out of my hand once when I tried to make out with her in an elevator. Got a dent in it but it still works fine

Naw man - the Nanos are flash but the video iPod is still a hard drive. They don't make 60 GB flash memory. Yet.

speaking of video ipods...why is apple making so damn hard to put video on these things...they only accept files formatted specifically in a certain manner and mp4 files don't seem to be allowed as well as most mpg and mov files. Their advice...upgrade to quicktime PRO and use it to convert file to the right format. Kinda shitty if you ask me.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    same reason why pulling songs off an ipod onto your computer is not a built in function with itunes. RIAA/MPAA agreements with Apple.

They are trying to discourage illegal content and obviously pushing for sales from the itunes music store.

But I'm not trying to pull movies off my IPOD and onto my computer...I'm trying to do the opposite. Put mp4, mpg and mov's from my computer onto my IPOD. I don't see how the RIAA can see this as illegal. I do think it's thier way of cornering the user into either (a) buying video off of the i-tunes store or (b) paying the $30 to upgrade to Quicktime Pro .. which I doubt most people were doing before now.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    They have it like that so you are more enclined to purchase movies from their store. Nothing more than that. I'm sure they would make it so that you could only use their DMA-protected files on the iPod if it would actually be profitable.

but let's say for the sake of argument, you are trying to upload a personal home movie file...as you would photos. It almost comparable to them not letting you put mp3s from other sources on there and only allowing ones purchased from their store...do you seem my argument here?