Ike And Tina Turner records

LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Got the Live lp on Warner Bros from '65 or so and Im telling myself "this is the kinda shit I need more of". What are some great early lps by Ike And Tina? Or anything else that sounds like this? Peace out.

Comments

• grab "Idolize You" 45 on Sue...

• I posted that...shingaling forgot to log out, but I assume he would concur

• Thanks guys, I'll keep all your suggestions in mind!

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    you should have the "Bold Soul sister" 45. it real good seen....

• Got the Live lp on Warner Bros from '65 or so and Im telling myself "this is the kinda shit I need more of". What are some great early lps by Ike And Tina? Or anything else that sounds like this? Peace out.

Their albums on the Kent label (later reissued on United) are the bomb...a fave of mine is Please, Please, Please, which features a devastating monologue by Tina on the title track. Note that this album also features lead vocals by members of the I&TT Revue as well (Bobby John, Robbie Montgomery, etc.). There's also Ike & Tina's Festival Of Live Performances and The Soul Of Ike & Tina.

As far as the Sue Records years, get yourself a best-of from that time that contains one or more of these titles: "I Idolize You," "It's Gonna Work Out Fine," I'm So Jealous," "A Fool In Love," "Three Is A Crowd." Believe it or not, as a longtime fan I think they had better things to come, but even so, the Sue years weren't bad (it's more or less where Tina got started).

There was another live album on Loma, which was Warners' soul subsidiary in the 60's. Both were reissued over and over: Ooh Pooh Pah Doo and Something's Got A Hold On Me on Harmony, as well as Ike & Tina Turner's Greatest Hits on Warner Bros.-7 Arts.

They had some good things on the Pompeii label, too. However, that stuff was reissued by every budget label from Maine to Mexico, so just look out for these titles, all of which are worth getting: "We Need An Understanding," "Betcha Can't Kiss Me Just One Time," "Beauty Is Just Skin Deep" (the Ikettes, I&TT's backup singers), "Cussin', Cryin' & Carryin' On," "It Sho' Ain't Me," "So Fine" (Ikettes again), "You Got What You Wanted," "Too Hot To Hold."

"Bold Soul Sister" (on the Blue Thumb label) and that common Workin' Together album (a/k/a The Album With "Proud Mary" On It) are worth getting, as well.

• Thanks pickwick, thats what I need.

• Thanks pickwick, thats what I need.

You're welcome, man. In the sixties they changed labels about a zillion times, so there's a lot of I&TT in the used-record places and I figured it was best to map it all out as far as what's what...

• Tina's vocals on "A Fool in Love" are

wasn't that the first song she ever recorded?

• Tina's vocals on "A Fool in Love" are

wasn't that the first song she ever recorded?

I think so, because her screams were a lot more out-of-control when she was on Sue.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Just bought The Hunter yesterday (finally found a VG+ copy for under $15).

Tinas vocals over ikes guitar is doing it so nice right now.

Blues + Rainy day + weed =

• Just bought The Hunter yesterday (finally found a VG+ copy for under $15).

Even better - they got Albert Collins, the blues guitarist, sitting in on that album, and you can barely tell his style apart from Ike's. I think that's Albert taking the leads...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Just bought The Hunter yesterday (finally found a VG+ copy for under $15).

Even better - they got Albert Collins, the blues guitarist, sitting in on that album, and you can barely tell his style apart from Ike's. I think that's Albert taking the leads...

just checked the jacket and theres no information on any of the musicians playing here. Be it Ike or Albert, that dude is killing it so nicely for me right now.

• I like the "Sue" stuff the best.

This is the joint!

I got really excited when I found this...but it's just instros from the band. Good but a little boring IMO.

Same on this one...probablly the coolest looking one but, one of the worst musically IMO.

Keep an eye out for singles on the "Sonja" label also.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I got really excited when I found this...but it's just instros from the band. Good but a little boring IMO.

Let me take that stinker off your hands for you, I'll dispose of it properly...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    probablly the coolest looking one but, one of the worst musically IMO.

COSIGN

weak as fuck. Only worth keeping to hang on your record shop wall

• probablly the coolest looking one but, one of the worst musically IMO.

COSIGN

weak as fuck. Only worth keeping to hang on your record shop wall

It's a wall hanger at the house.

I hear you SoulOnIke...I've thought about selling it cause it's unplayed looking and I could probablly get close to a bill for it but, I just can't do it.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    No love for Her Man ... His Woman?

• No love for Her Man ... His Woman?

Love.

Is that Dick Holler in your avatar?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

One of my favorites. I inherited my moms copy.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    No love for Her Man ... His Woman?

Love.

Is that Dick Holler in your avatar?

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I dig "the Hunter" as well, recently, on the radio no less, I heared a cover of a Led Zepplin tune by these two. HUGE BREAK FOR DAZE on the track, but I don't remember what Zep song it was, very funky, ANYONE? Help please. Whole Lotta Love maybe?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I dig "the Hunter" as well, recently, on the radio no less, I heared a cover of a Led Zepplin tune by these two. HUGE BREAK FOR DAZE on the track, but I don't remember what Zep song it was, very funky, ANYONE? Help please. Whole Lotta Love maybe?

Yes.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Whole Lotta Love

of a Tina Turner album called "Acid Quessn"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Whole Lotta Love

There it go.

• Whole Lotta Love

Damn Guzz...I think the Albert King and weed is getting to you today.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Thanks nerds! Happy Fucking New Year!!!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Whole Lotta Love

DUUUUUDE You Got no idea.

I need to call down to the shop sometime soon

any good and cheap "guzzo's" in the bins lately?

• Whole Lotta Love

DUUUUUDE You Got no idea.

I need to call down to the shop sometime soon

any good and cheap "guzzo's" in the bins lately?

We got cheapo's out on the porch right now. I'll do a little dig for you when I take a smoke break.

• Just bought The Hunter yesterday (finally found a VG+ copy for under $15).

just checked the jacket and theres no information on any of the musicians playing here. Be it Ike or Albert, that dude is killing it so nicely for me right now.

It's definitely Albert...