Lil Flip + Cam'ron in the NY Times

2»

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    you guys are really fooling yourselves if you think Purple Haze is anything but a random collection of throwaways with a few good tracks sprinkled in...

come in, the water's warm...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Who is Michael Jordon?

Who is Michael Jordon?

he played basketboll...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    HAH!

NOICE.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I swear I thought he was a girl for like over a year.

I wrote an essay about that very topic, about how I was crushin' on girl's wordsmithness. It was for a college writing course. It ended something like, "Kelefa's a man, man."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I swear I thought he was a girl for like over a year.

I wrote an essay about that very topic, about how I was crushin' on girl's wordsmithness. It was for a college writing course. It ended something like, "Kelefa's a man, man."

Uh...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    dude

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Couple points:

I wouldn't ever use the word 'mainstream' (in quotes or not) cause that don't mean anything specific anymore. It's like describing vacuums as 'revolutionary' or some shit.

I think what some are leaning at above is that Sanneh's hiring and writing in the Times is a good attempt to interest non-typical newspaper readers. And I am talking mostly about age here.

I work at a city newspaper covering politics, and from my experience it's quite clear that only a small number of people read daily newspapers regularly, and most of them are at least 30+ years old. Regular readers are in their 50s plus. There are statistics for 6 o'clock news hour watchers: average age is around 55.

Sure there's lots of room for Times to improve, but at least they are trying more than any of the other dailies.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Couple points:

I wouldn't ever use the word 'mainstream' (in quotes or not) cause that don't mean anything specific anymore. It's like describing vacuums as 'revolutionary' or some shit.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    this is almost as bad as the quasimoto/turf talk article. also, citing a pitchfork list in an article completely discredits it in my mind.

funny:

Pitchfork Media Admits Hip-Hop Reviews Fake
    December 30, 2004

In a move that surprised few and shocked even less, Pitchfork Media today announced the majority of their hip-hop album reviews were phony. Representatives for the popular site, known for their ultra-pretentious reviews of the latest in hipster music, say many of the bogus reviews were written based on reviewers' past experiences with Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reruns and "just kinda flipping through the CD inserts."

"You have to understand, people send us a lot of music," said Editor-In-Chief Ryan Schreiber. "We were listening to albums for like 12 hours a day at times. I mean, that's tough enough to handle with music I like, nevermind hip-hop," he added. "And I thought it all sounded alike before I started doing reviews...I just felt like it was time to come clean."

Though easy at first, continually concealing the staff's lack of hip-hop knowledge proved to be a daunting task. "The first year wasn't hard at all. Our readers didn't know shit either so it was like the blind leading the blind," said Schreiber. "Throw an Eric B & Rakim album in one of our 'Best Of' lists and those motherfuckers thought we were down." As the site grew, however, traffic increased and with more traffic came more informed readers.

Many were suspicous of the validity of the hip-hop reviews when they noticed the adjective count was 95% per paragraph as opposed to the site standard of 70%. "In no way did I encourage these fake reviews. Shit, I was against the idea of reviewing hip-hop altogether - it's not even music," said Senior Staff Writer Mark Richardson. He wasn't alone in his opposition to reviewing hip-hop records, but says those in charge didn't want the site to be classified as racist. "I mean, what the fuck, we only review hip-hop albums by white people anyways - what's the difference?"

In addition to white rappers, the site has been criticized for also favoring rappers with British accents and rappers who aren't even rappers. Such artists are invariably praised for "rising above the [black] hip-hop status quo, and bringing new perspectives and fresh ideas to the stalled genre, currently plagued by blinging decadents and joyless would-be underground saviors ..." Commonly, the glitchy, computerized production found on these albums is referred to by reviewers as beatscapes, moodscapes, landscapes, superman'scapes, and the ever popular futuristic soundscapes. "Oh, those reviews? Those are all us," Schreiber proudly noted. "I had just assumed you weren't talking about them, because they're not really hip-hop, when you really look at it, you know?"

Many feel the revelation's impact on the site will be minimal given the largely emo readership, but only time will tell. "I learned it from watching Rolling Stone, alright!?!" said Schrieber. "I learned it from watching Rolling Stone..."
    http://www.gossipingbitches.com/news/archives/000150.php

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    ew

"We were listening to albums for like 12 hours a day at times. I mean, that's tough enough to handle with music I like, nevermind hip-hop,"