HOUSTON FOR DUMMIES - DJ AYRES JD

2»

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I'm around but I don't have Love Breaks. I may be able to get them from Mrs Cosmo tonight though (TTL wants them too) so I'll holler.

• Southside BUMP.

If you're not listening to this, what the f*ck are you listening to (since I know you don't have Slump & Grind 2 yet)?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Just copped. R*ss, S&G2 is next...

• just got this in the mail today and i think it'll be stuck in the CD player for a while-- the selections are very dope. prrrrrrrrrops.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I was playing this CD so loud, the subs in my trunk knocked my rear license plate off. Props.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i know i'm late, but i just got this in the mail and it's nice as hell. thanks guys.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    i know i'm late, but i just got this in the mail and it's nice as hell. thanks guys.

thanks dude. glad you like.

• I listened to this while driving around Long Island and it was loud and I couldn't hear the GPS and I got lost and tried to turn around and got lost again except then I was lost in the Nassau County Community College parking lot which sucked. It's a chill CD

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I listened to this while driving around Long Island and it was loud and I couldn't hear the GPS and I got lost and tried to turn around and got lost again except then I was lost in the Nassau County Community College parking lot which sucked. It's a chill CD

sounds like you forgot to be grippin the grain while changing the lane

• I listened to this while driving around Long Island and it was loud and I couldn't hear the GPS and I got lost and tried to turn around and got lost again except then I was lost in the Nassau County Community College parking lot which sucked. It's a chill CD

sounds like you forgot to be grippin the grain while changing the lane

The company car is a Camry

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    The New York Times wrote about Houston for Dummies today but they forgot my man JD and they spelled my name wrong twice and right twice. I edited it and put him back in on my website though:

Houston for Dummies review in The New York Times, Sunday January 29

While New York hip-hop tries to reclaim the national spotlight, first with showy peacemaking and more recently with attempts at fresh beefs, Houston is still enjoying its heyday. The mix ???Houston for Dummies??? (at djayres.com), lovingly compiled by the Southern transplants DJ Ayres and JD, encapsulates the stylistic progression from the raw early rhymes of the seminal Geto Boys to the slow-mo style that later emerged, ???chopped and screwed??? (a reference to ???chopped??? ??? edited ??? recording tape and being ???screwed up??? on cough syrup, the scene???s preferred inebriant). The collection renders the soul of the city, as well. DJ Ayres, part of the team behind the eclectic monthly Brooklyn party The Rub, plays historian and neighborhood cartographer while never letting those goals put a drag on the parking-lot-party arc. Hits like ???Still Tippin??? ??? (the Slim Thug and Chamillionaire version) are here, juxtaposed with classics like UGK's heartbeat-deep 1996 track ???Diamonds and Wood.??? We get one glimpse of the block when the tough Scarface links up with the laid-back Devin the Dude on 1998???s ???Southside: Houston, Texas,??? and another when the underground favorite Lil Keke raps about the ???Southside.??? This mix shows the late Fat Pat and DJ Screw at their best, celebrates well-paired teams like Paul Wall and Chamillionaire and drops in worthy rarities like Raheem???s ???5th Ward??? from 1992. To capture the melancholia behind the icy fronts, Ayres and JD include songs like ???So Real,??? by DJ DMD, of Port Arthur, and Al B and DJ Screw, which rolls on a smoggy sunset groove. Even when they aren't shouting out sectors, these tunes bleed place-love, reminding aficionados running down the latest mixtape why they messed with Texas in the first place. -Laura Sinagra

here is the original article:

• Nice save!

Did homegirl even listen to the CD (with all those drops that say "DJ AYRES AND JD") or look at the cover?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I think she read about it on The Fader blog.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    I think she read about it on The Fader blog.(where JD explains each record's significance)

• Check out this nice writeup of S&G 2 AND Houston for Dummies. Yee!

http://www.launchcommit.com/84/listen-houston-for-dummies-slump-and-grind-2

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    just wanted to say thanks for my copy in the mail and that this CD is really great!

the first disk was dope with the old/new vibe and the second disk really gets the nod of approval.

best regional cd ive heard in a LONG time...