Rhymefest appreciation post...

UMADUMAD 187 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
So I was in the studio with this dude last night, doing a song for And1 Streetball, and I just had to big him up to the Soulstrut masses...not only is this dude the REAL talent behind Jesus Walks, but hommie is just an all round really good rapper. Doggs is witty, he's got that unmistakable Chitown drawl, and he ACTUALLY has something to say. Everyone on here who whines about the state of hip-hop today, PLEASE support this guy when his album drops.

Comments

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I thought there was no street teamers allowed on this board. Go put up some posters somewhere hommie!

• That Molemen joint with him and Percee P and the other dude whose name escapes me is really fucking good.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I thought there was no street teamers allowed on this board. Go put up some posters somewhere hommie!

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    So I was in the studio with this dude last night, doing a song for And1 Streetball, and I just had to big him up to the Soulstrut masses...not only is this dude the REAL talent behind Jesus Walks, but hommie is just an all round really good rapper. Doggs is witty, he's got that unmistakable Chitown drawl, and he ACTUALLY has something to say. Everyone on here who whines about the state of hip-hop today, PLEASE support this guy when his album drops.

that mark ronson-produced "these days" is good stuff.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

everything dude puts out is pure fiyah. oddly enough, he gets slept on around here to this day.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

You must have me confused with someone who doesn't handle your business affairs...I've just sent a letter of direction that will divert all further royalty payments to 9th Wonder

Seriously though, dude is a really likeable rapper and a great writer. My understanding is that not only do folks sleep on him in the Chi as noted above, but that this dude DJ 3rd Rail, some 50 year old backpack DJ has called dude a "sellout" for signing with J Records. That's beyond corny, I hope dude sells 10Xplatinum and then maybe some other similar emcees will get on.

You must have me confused with someone who doesn't handle your business affairs...I've just sent a letter of direction that will divert all further royalty payments to 9th Wonder

Seriously though, dude is a really likeable rapper and a great writer. My understanding is that not only do folks sleep on him in the Chi as noted above, but that this dude DJ 3rd Rail, some 50 year old backpack DJ has called dude a "sellout" for signing with J Records. That's beyond corny, I hope dude sells 10Xplatinum and then maybe some other similar emcees will get on.

Its just raer to see you ride for anybody on here! For the record, I like Rhymefest too and I hope he gets lots of beats from Kanye for his record. (Remember B**** talked to Clive and suspended me from further work at J)

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    unmistakable Chitown drawl

his music is genious and black enough to stay in my collection.

Hope this new album earns some respect for the well seasoned vet.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

Its just raer to see you ride for anybody on here! For the record, I like Rhymefest too and I hope he gets lots of beats from Kanye for his record. (Remember B**** talked to Clive and suspended me from further work at J)

Ahhh yes, the infamous J Records "banning". The funny thing is, that dude is down with those dudes, and I kept waiting for him to walk through the door or something. I'm sure he was busy at 40/40 or Bungalow 8 or something tho. On the real, while I'm cheerleading I gotta big up Freeway and Turf Talk who also really really did their thing for the game.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    "How We Chill" is the joint. That Mark Ronson one is pretty hot too.

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
    I did a photoshoot of Rhymefest a couple years ago when I was working as a journalist in Indianapolis. All around great guy who had his game sewed up tight!
    Glad to hear he is finally getting his props.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    CHICAGO!

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I like Rhymefest but let's be honest: he's got THE WORST rapper guy name in rap history.

-e

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    the REAL talent behind Jesus Walks

I'm not, how you say, "in the know" with this. Did he ghostwrite it? What's the deal with this?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I haven't heard much recorded stuf but dude put on a good show when I saw him battle at Scribble jam.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    I did a photoshoot of Rhymefest a couple years ago when I was working as a journalist in Indianapolis. All around great guy who had his game sewed up tight!

He didn't even ghostwrite it, he just wrote it, straight up and down...I think he made the skeleton of the beat too. Kanye brought him to the grammies and urrything.

He didn't even ghostwrite it, he just wrote it, straight up and down...I think he made the skeleton of the beat too. Kanye brought him to the grammies and urrything.

Its funny how dudes have been twisting this into "Kanye stole Jesus Walks". Rhymefest gave him the song just like Smokey gave the Temps a song or whatever. I'm sure Rhymefest is not mad over the publishing checks he's getting off it.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    this dude DJ 3rd Rail, some 50 year old backpack DJ has called dude a "sellout" for signing with J Records. That's beyond corny, I hope dude sells 10Xplatinum and then maybe some other similar emcees will get on.

3rd rail has been the underground hiphop mixtape king for a minute and seems to be happy in the underground.. but calling RF a sellout is kinda weak. he'd only be a sellout if that grimy shit we're used to, becomes watered down commercial rap drivel.

but that will not be happening.

seriously y'all.. chicago is about to blow. and it's about fucking time.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Actually the gods did hear a song with Kanye that was RI-DONK-U-LOUS. If it's on this mix CD I'll post it. Chi represent, buy the album when he drops it.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I like Rhymefest but let's be honest: he's got THE WORST rapper guy name in rap history.

-e

no, you're thinking of papoose.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

-e

I actually think that title is held by Boston circa-97 underground rap dude "L The Head Toucher". I mean...really...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Hell yeah Rhymefest. I've been a fan of dude since day one, one of the first dudes I met when I moved to Chicago and was mad humble. Theres lots of old beefs in Chicago floating around that have held the city back for a while, but dudes are starting to rise up out of the bullshit and take charge of their talent. Theres a track Rhymefest did with Ol Dirty Bastard recently that was fuckin dope too.

a few more suggested Rhymefest listenings: This is How We Chill Pt 1 and 2, Much of Nothin'

Another dude from here who gets slept on hard is EC Illa... who has been working with the infamous pimp Mr. Whitefolks, and has adopted his name as his "son". Dudes been putting out ill records since 91, along with Legendary Traxter and CWAL MOB.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Another dude from here who gets slept on hard is EC Illa... who has been working with the infamous pimp Mr. Whitefolks, and has adopted his name as his "son". Dudes been putting out ill records since 91, along with Legendary Traxter and CWAL MOB.

Really? That old shit from like 96 was fucking terrible..."On Ill" or something?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Theres a track Rhymefest did with Ol Dirty Bastard recently that was fuckin dope too.

with the "build me up buttercup" hook? yes yes yes

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

-e

I actually think that title is held by Boston circa-97 underground rap dude "L The Head Toucher". I mean...really...

oooff. Calling out L the head toucher? He'll body you son. hahaha.

But really, thats a close call. they are both really bad names

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    homie wrote the hook and some verses...he got his verses removed first. Then he claimed Kanye bought the track from him to avoid some "lauryn hill" syndrome.

Y'all need to check his own tape : Rhymefest - A Star Is Born vol.1

There's track#4 called Jesus Walks Original version...You can hear how he showed kanye how to ride this particular track.

Shy-town is on the rise again...no fast-tongue rap pullleeeeeze!

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    That Molemen joint with him and Percee P and the other dude whose name escapes me is really fucking good.

mp3 please

you're talking about Keep The Fame with Percee P, Vakill, and Rhymefest.

I can't believe I missed this post. Rhymefest is one of my all time favorite emcees ever. All the shit he's been doing with Mark Ronson is the truth. I really can't wait for the new album to be done.

and Izm...it's CHI[/b]-town and fast tongue rap lives strong on the west side joe.