"boutique label" what does it mean ?

OlskiOlski 355 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
This tag has been used a lot recently in reference to labels like Stones Throw. I have a vague idea what it is supposed to mean but it dosen't make much sense when I translate it to German.Can some please explain it to me?

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    B.B.E. = Barely Breaking Even

I think that get them boutique status.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Olski, by definition "boutique" is a small fashionable specialty shop or business, or a small company that offers highly specialized services. From that, you can say a boutique label is a small (fashionable? "Madlib makes that 303 look hecka dope, yo!") label that specializes in a specific genre.

Not that I am one to promote rumors, but I bet you've been hearing about Stones Throw recently because certain credible LA sources have been saying they're opening a hairdid spot this year.

(File Under: The 'Gon's Stylist Goes Solo)

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    I was under the impression "boutique Label" referred to an artist being given their own "sublabel" under the auspices of the larger company with which to do their own thing, i.e. Rolling Stones Records, Swan Song etc...

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Olski, by definition "boutique" is a small fashionable specialty shop or business, or a small company that offers highly specialized services. From that, you can say a boutique label is a small (fashionable? "Madlib makes that 303 look hecka dope, yo!") label that specializes in a specific genre.

Not that I am one to promote rumors, but I bet you've been hearing about Stones Throw recently because certain credible LA sources have been saying they're opening a hairdid spot this year.

(File Under: The 'Gon's Stylist Goes Solo)

Thanks! We use the "boutique" in German too but it only refers to small shops selling fashion (it's actually a French like discoteque..). So a boutique label could basically every indie label that stands for a certain sound and is hip ?

And you are right about the rumour. PBW got the idea when he was in Cologne last year and had his hair done at this spot here:

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Recently, King Moist interviewed me in my professional capacity. The twenty written questions he submitted to me included approximately eight "(*pauses*)"s [ref: Is your job hard (*pause*)? Do you work long hours (*pause*)?], including ones following every reference to "boutique" law firms.

Hope this helps, Olski!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Recently, King Moist interviewed me in my professional capacity. The twenty written questions he submitted to me included approximately eight "(*pauses*)"s [ref: Is your job hard (*pause*)? Do you work long hours (*pause*)?], including ones following every reference to "boutique" law firms.

Hope this helps, Olski!

Dude, my *pauses* where way better than that, those are simply juevenille and immature!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    juevenille and immature!

How does one pronounce that?

Hoo-way-vuh-nee-ay?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    juevenille and immature!

Hoo-way-vuh-nee-ay?

I believe it's pronounced F??nicos Joven.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    juevenille and immature!

Hoo-way-vuh-nee-ay?

holy shit Faux is cracking me up

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I was under the impression "boutique Label" referred to an artist being given their own "sublabel" under the auspices of the larger company with which to do their own thing, i.e. Rolling Stones Records, Swan Song etc...

That's the proper definition of a "boutique label". The Beatles had Apple, George Harrison had Dark Horse, Elton John had Rocket, Earth Wind & Fire had ARC, Steve Turner has Super-Electro.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    This tag has been used a lot recently in reference to labels like Stones Throw. I have a vague idea what it is supposed to mean but it dosen't make much sense when I translate it to German.

A specialized label created by an established artist on a major label, a subsidiary for an artist.