Adobe Audition/Cool Edit Help!!!

el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Fuck it, i need help, this is doing my head in now, i just want to record a beat from my sampler like i normally do. The problem is that the volume keeps changing, not at random parts but like say i have a a chopped piano over a bassline, over some drums, when i play them all together the volume level (on a scale of 10) would be 7 each for all the elements, which is fine. But when i drop out an element, such as the bass and piano, i still expect the drums to be as loud as they were a second ago, but they're not, they go much quieter, this is especially annoying if there are little gaps in the beat i'm making because it suddenly goes quite then loud.Any ideas what's causing this? is there a setting in Adobe Audition/Cool Edit that could fix it? is it set to try and normalise or something? hell, i don't know, but it's really really bugging me.Oh, just a bit of extra info, it worked fine when i was at university, but now i'm back home on a different computer it's having problems.Any help very very greatly appreciated.Thanks

Comments

• Could be that some of the frequencies of both tracks cancel each other out. If you have EQ settings try to lower the low end frequencies and see what happens. or maybe you just need to lower the volume of the tracks a little bit to prevent digital clipping.

• Could be that some of the frequencies of both tracks cancel each other out. If you have EQ settings try to lower the low end frequencies and see what happens. or maybe you just need to lower the volume of the tracks a little bit to prevent digital clipping.

That's the only thing I can think of. Either that or you're getting combination of, say, 100hz from the drums and 100Hz from the samples that you are cutting in and out. Many times my kicks and bassline will combine and clip and I'll have to lower the bass in one or the other or both, but then if I cut out the bassline the kicks will seem to low. I think either the prior suggestion or this one may be your problem. If you'd like you could post an mp3 and I (and others) could let you know what I/we think.

Other than that it sounds like you have a technical issue.

• Wicked, thanks for your help, i'll have a bit of a play about with it to see if i can fix it, if not i'll post an mp3, it seems to be being kind of tempremental and i'm starting to wonder whether it's my mixer, my soundcard, the cable? etc...
    Thanks