Side 1 and Side 4; Side 2 and Side 3

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I hate records that pair up sides like this!!! Why did they do that??

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    so you can seamlessly listen to it in the order intended...duh

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    it was for record changers i believe

you put side one on the deck.. side two on the dropper.

when side one ended it would drop the second record.. which is side two... this way you could bust 2 sides thru.. then flip them both over.. reload and go again.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I always thought it was for the benefit of US radio stations, back when they'd play entire albums uninterrupted. Side 1 & 2 on separate turntables, then to a station break or something, then sides 3 & 4. A friend of mine has a double-vinyl radio promo of "Music Of My Mind", which is playable only on one side of each piece. I assumed that, for a while anyway, double albums were mastered with a similar function in mind.

• i think its called 'automatic sequence' when the sides are paired 1/4 and 2/3, vs 'manual sequence' when its 1/2 and 3/4

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    i think its called 'automatic sequence' when the sides are paired 1/4 and 2/3, vs 'manual sequence' when its 1/2 and 3/4

Ah, so Dubious is right, then? It's funny - when I was a kid and my parents had a record-player with an auto-changer, I'd have been told off for playing albums that way.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I always thought it was for the benefit of US radio stations, back when they'd play entire albums uninterrupted. Side 1 & 2 on separate turntables, then to a station break or something, then sides 3 & 4. A friend of mine has a double-vinyl radio promo of "Music Of My Mind", which is playable only on one side of each piece. I assumed that, for a while anyway, double albums were mastered with a similar function in mind.

Seems like to me that companies backed up side one with side four (and two with three) long before radio stations started playing entire elpees on the air.