Parent Strut - Jack's Big Music Show?

goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
All you parents out there know the deal...If you have a little one you inevitably end up watching/listening to the same shows/DVDs/Videos over and over and OVER again.Gets so that I wake up with the songs from Dora or Teletubbies playing in my head instead of my favorite grooves.Have any of you with kids been watching Jack's Big Music Show?This has actually become a saving grace in my household.Sure, some (or most) of the songs are corny, but every once in a while they aren't that bad and can even be enjoyable.Get this - a few weeks ago they had a new show called Mel's Super Swell Dance Party. Did any of your parent strutters catch it?The whole show was a dance party in which Mel the Dog was spinning records using two turntables and a mixer! Played some corny dance-type music, some hip hop beats and even scratched a bit!If I could find a picture of it I would post it for you all because as these things go it was really one of the better shows to be forced to endlessly watch. We Tivo'd it and it's now one of the regulars for me to put on for my daughter (15 months). For those who haven't seen it and need a break from Barney, they play the show on Noggin (where one of their in-between-show characters Zee also has been known to spin records and scratch a few phrases).This will seem completely dorky to most of you strutters but for all you parents out there you know that this type of shit is

Comments

• That episode was on today. It is good to see a little kids show that emphasizes actually playing music. My daughter and son both seem to enjoy it.

• Cosign on playing your own instruments.

I also liked the one where they had to make up their own instruments out of kleenex boxes, bottles and an oatmeal container.

Plus, this show manages to keep my otherwise squirmy daughter entranced for 20 minutes solid!

Another boon!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    My son loves this show as well. Beats the hell out of "Little Bear" any day. They need more episodes though.

• They need more episodes though.

BIG cosign.

I have my Tivo set to season pass it, but even still the new ish only periodically appears.

• Sorry dude, it's all about Dora, Spongebob, and Arthur.

Cyberchase has been making some in-roads though.

• All you parents out there know the deal...

If you have a little one you inevitably end up watching/listening to the same shows/DVDs/Videos over and over and OVER again.

Gets so that I wake up with the songs from Dora or Teletubbies playing in my head instead of my favorite grooves.

Have any of you with kids been watching Jack's Big Music Show?
    This has actually become a saving grace in my household.
    Sure, some (or most) of the songs are corny, but every once in a while they aren't that bad and can even be enjoyable.

Get this - a few weeks ago they had a new show called Mel's Super Swell Dance Party. Did any of your parent strutters catch it?

The whole show was a dance party in which Mel the Dog was spinning records using two turntables and a mixer! Played some corny dance-type music, some hip hop beats and even scratched a bit!

If I could find a picture of it I would post it for you all because as these things go it was really one of the better shows to be forced to endlessly watch. We Tivo'd it and it's now one of the regulars for me to put on for my daughter (15 months). For those who haven't seen it and need a break from Barney, they play the show on Noggin (where one of their in-between-show characters Zee also has been known to spin records and scratch a few phrases).

This will seem completely dorky to most of you strutters but for all you parents out there you know that this type of shit is

DUDE! I love Jacks Big Music Show! I keep a copy of 'Mel's Super Swell Dance Party' on the Tivo. Miles digs the show a lot.

• don't know Jack's yet, but we be diggin one called BACKYARD-AGAINS...you dudes know this shit? funky music, sambas...the kids make adventures to different places and music comes to coincide...pbs i think...

• don't know Jack's yet, but we be diggin one called BACKYARD-AGAINS...you dudes know this shit? funky music, sambas...the kids make adventures to different places and music comes to coincide...pbs i think...

Cosign. I've heard some Meters-ish stuff on Backyardigans. I like that one of them is named Uniqua too...

• and on sesame street this morning the letter of the day is H...they made an animated soul brother gettin down on the letter H...can i get an H-uh...hip-uh...help me uh...

I've only caught this a couple of times as my daughter is still a bit too young for it too hold her attention. I'll keep an ear (ear) out for it now though...