Minneapolis spots?

gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I'm heading up that way pretty soon after the 25th and was curious about any restaurants and record stores worth hitting up. Preferably in or near the downtown area. But really, anything will do.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I'm heading up that way pretty soon after the 25th and was curious about any restaurants and record stores worth hitting up. Preferably in or near the downtown area. But really, anything will do.

Haven't been there since the summer, but I think Let It Be, the main Downtown spot, closed. Head Uptown, hit Treehouse Records at 26th and Lyndale, Roadrunner on 46th(or 48th?) and Nicolett. Also lots of vinyl at Applause/Cheapo Uptown, just off Lake and Hennepin, behind the McDonald's. All the LPs are downstairs. There are more, just do a yellow pages check too. Hymie and Hazen's still there anyone? I know it changed hands or names or something, but that's further down Lake if it's still open.

• hymie's is still open. how long you be in town? we have a night every wednesday playing soul and funk at a place called JITTERS just across the river from downtown on hennepin...HIPSHAKER is the name of the gig. pm me if you need help getting around or want a friend to visit with.
    brian

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I'll be sure to check those. I'm only in town for like a day or two and unfortunately it'll be Monday and Tuesday. Would love to check our your funk and soul night, we won't be doing much during the evening. I'll pm ya if there are any changes. peace

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Hazen's is available for appointments only. Go to Hymie's, Go to Treehouse. I will not speak of at Bloomington and 40th. Find it yourself. Spend many hours. Eat at the Jamacian place next door.

• i second that on the jamaicain place...very good.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendations, the place on 38th and Bloomington was ill!! We hit up Treehouse, didn't find shit, still seemed real cool though. Found some nice things at Cheapo/Applause. Hopefully we can check Hymie's tomorrow before we leave. peace

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So me and my man rolled thru the 38th/bloomington spot, definitely had a good vibe even though I didn't personally pull much. However, the dude who worked there seemed a bit gruff and it didn't help that I knocked over the candy machine and spilled M&Ms and Skittles on the floor.

of:

I cleaned it up and broke him off with an extra $ but dude was NOT feeling us. Guess I won't be going back there for a minute.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    So me and my man rolled thru the 38th/bloomington spot, definitely had a good vibe even though I didn't personally pull much. However, the dude who worked there seemed a bit gruff and it didn't help that I knocked over the candy machine and spilled M&Ms and Skittles on the floor.

of:

I cleaned it up and broke him off with an extra $ but dude was NOT feeling us. Guess I won't be going back there for a minute.

actually, that's par for the course with that guy, floorbound skittles or no.

• So me and my man rolled thru the 38th/bloomington spot, definitely had a good vibe even though I didn't personally pull much. However, the dude who worked there seemed a bit gruff and it didn't help that I knocked over the candy machine and spilled M&Ms and Skittles on the floor.

of:

actually, that's par for the course with that guy, floorbound skittles or no.

Yup. When he throws up the cig smoke screen that's when he's comfortable with your presence. Or he wants you to leave. I forget.

His shop used to be located below Hymie's, I think.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Seriously, dude smoked through what felt like a pack whilst we were there. Luckily the store isn't too small. He probably also didn't like the fact that we we went through a large stack of records until whittling it down to just two lps and a 45.

The basement was cool - well organized for a basement space, plus the 70s vintage Playboys and 1980s copies of Penthouse Forum.