your favorite funk 45?

2»

Comments

• "Express Yourself" by Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band.

And I specifically mean the 45, because that mix hits you dead in the face. I got the Express Yourself album and the Charles Wright best-of on CD, and sonically they don't compare.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    "Express Yourself" by Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band.

And I specifically mean the 45, because that mix hits you dead in the face.

the drum beat kills me. such a good track.

i need a copy still though...only 45s by them i ever see are either a dance, a kiss and a song or light my fire....or that one pre-watts on MoSoul that i dont really care for.

• i guess DAMPH F'AINT is also a fave i never have tired of...mean as hell

• Bill Doggett-Honky Tonk Popcorn/Honky Tonk...best 2 sider ever. IMO.

• "Express Yourself" by Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band.

And I specifically mean the 45, because that mix hits you dead in the face.

the drum beat kills me. such a good track.

i need a copy still though...only 45s by them i ever see are either a dance, a kiss and a song or light my fire....

Ya know, the A-sides of those singles ("Do Your Thing" and "Till You Get Enough," respectively) are killin' it in their own right! Not only are these ragtag songs that sound like they were made up then and there on the spot, but they were hits, too?? Wow, the late sixties were wide open like a muthafucka, huh?

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Today it has to be:

Billy Best & Ditalians - Baby That Takes The Cake......

• Been diggin Jelly Roll by Granby St. Redevelopment lately. Rare funkiness on Legrand, which, til the point that I heard this, I had largely assumed just to be the U.S. Bonds vehicle label. Any other good Legrand shit?

• of all the funk 45's i've heard, which aren't too many, david dee's get on up/this would mean so much on vanessa is probably my favorite, i can feel the emotion pouring out of that record, i love that shit

• impeach the president. peace, stein. . .

• Best funk 45, that's a damn tough question.
    I really rate Psychedelic hotpants, but that's more of a chase shuffler

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    The Devils "The X-Sorcist" on People.

• hmmm...york wilborn's psychedelic hotpants is bad as hell...in fact, the need to own this has infiltrated my daily living...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The Devils "The X-Sorcist" on People.

I remember always wanting this piece because of the cool name and being highly disappointed when I finally found it.

• damn... have to agree with beaver here ;-)

Ray Frazier - I Who Have Nothing/Lonliness

for my taste also backed with one of my favourite soul tunes... what a voice!

• Eddie Bo - Hook and Sling
    David Batiste & The Galdiators - Funky Soul
    Lou Courtney - Hot Butter 'n' All
    Mickey & The Soul Generation - Iron Leg

• Simple answer for me:

Betty Harris - There's A Break In The Road

Killer vocals. Meters on the instruments. Guitar feedback at the beginning. A Perfect song in my book.

And on that note, the Cyril Neville issue 45 is serious business. Both sides are killing it.

werd, that cyril nevill is my shizz. Killer! Where is the LP from that session?!

Earlier this year me and my girl went to the Ponderosa Stomp, which is this music fest that happens (or happened, Nahlins RIP) in the middle of jazz fest at this bowling alley, with 2 floors of music going on. Known a bit more in the vintage soul/RnB/rockabilly scene, they had a lot of old school local cats throwing down. Got to see Willie Tee doing 'Gatur Bait', Archie Bell and the Drells, a bunch of folks, but who really stole the show was Betty Harris. She sounded great, did a smoking version of 'Mean Man', etc. Zigaboo was playing later on the bill, and with both Ziggy and Betty Harris in the same room, both me and my girl were like, fuck, we're actually going to hear Break in the Road with Zig on drums! But she did the song with the normal backing band (which was dope, not complaining too much), while Zig was chilling in the audience. We were like Noooo!!! How can you do break in the road with Zig standing on the sidelines?! That's his fucking song right there. It was still dope tho.

They're temporarily moving it to memphis this year, here's the link

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=7679

definitely worth a look. Agent 45, Mr. Finewine, Soul Sister, many heads in the house.

and a fav 45 of mine:

sister funk

$??

• wish i coulda been there...didnt hear about it until after it was over...was the reports back that i heard, and man, like, what a great lil festival. i'd love to spin at that party.
    thankfuly me and me wife were able to honeymoon in nawlins (2 years ago) before it got wounded. really cool city with great and interesting people. some of the best cab rides ever happened there. awesome food to eat...some cool records to see. hot as fuck tho, even in may when we was there.

LET'S WORK AWHILE...bobby williams and hi mar kings is another favorite i can't quit lovin...i know, so many 45s to love...but there is always a core group of them one cant stop hearing.

i need to figure out my pic posting abilities...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Current fave at the moment:

Pan Atlantics - Rhodesian Girl

You know this is the Poets of Rhythm, right?

• Current fave at the moment:

yes sir!

but i like to go by the alias on the record.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Current fave at the moment:

yes sir!

Both sides of that 45 are bangin'.

• Current fave at the moment:

yes sir!

Both sides of that 45 are bangin'.

yes yes!

their other record as bus people express - augusta georgia/south carolina almost ties it for fave 45 from them.

south carolina is my jam.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

werd, that cyril nevill is my shizz. Killer! Where is the LP from that session?!

In their autiobiography, Cyril describes the sessions where this was recorded. Obviously its the Meters backing. Apparently their manager was trying to make nice with Cyril (why I can't remember) and threw him the sides as peace offering. Cyril always wanted to be the lead singer of the band but politics (aka egos) kept him from that job for a long time. And he never felt comfortable once in the group later on. What would have great is if Cyril and Aaron's group, Soul Machine, had recorded. Evidently they were a big deal local funk thing in the early 70s but were such junkies they could never get it together.

• Aaron Neville "hercules" or dap walk

/L

• pahpopahpo 23 Posts
    Hey there!
    Christopher Columbus & the Swinging Gates "Tighten up"
    Although I dont own it.... & baaadly wanted to...
    Fabulous Mark III "Psycho pt 1&2"
    Insane wah-wah work out... in the words of a famous Brit raer owner...

JNB "I'll be the one"
    This one for the Modern Soul type of wax/late night feeling...
    that women's voice sends chills down the spine...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Prince Brownell - New Breed from the Soul Seed

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Wow. This thread is sooooo old. I didn't notice at first.