What's HE doing on THAT record?

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Was looking over the Bob Dylan Rolling Thunder Revue Live in 1975 liner notes (amazing CD BTW) and noticed that one of the guitar players on that tour was Mick Ronson. I love Mick Ronson's stuff with Bowie and solo but had no idea he played with Dylan. This made me think about Rick Derringer playing on some of Steely Dan's LPs which is another odd match. Any other good examples of this out there?

Comments

• Paul Anka singing backup on a song from Stevie Wonder's Fulfillingness' First Finale

• Big Black on the Bruce Palmer solo LP on Verve.
    Pat Boone doing "Song From The Siren" with Jerry Yester producing.
    James Zitro on the Essra Mohawk LP on Reprise.
    Kenny G blowing wind with Cold Bold & Together.
    Marzette Watts engineering the Tony Troutman LP on T-Main.

• Best socks in Rock?

• Kenny G blowing wind with Cold Bold & Together.

Great balls of fire. I don't know whether to say I'd like to hear this or to shun away entirely. It gives me the heebee jeebees

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i know it's old news now - but it was a big "huh?" when i saw ric ocasek's name on the Bad Brains record.

• Stephen Stills on Bill Withers' "Ain't no Sunshine"

(and my personal favorite):
    the Ikettes on Frank Zappa's "Montana" (not credited on the album, but yeah.)

• Ziggy Modeliste with James Chance and the Contortions on some live record. I remember needle-dropping it a few years ago and not liking it a bit.

• Some Hip Hop ones..

Dr Dre producing for Burt Bacharach (sp?)

and seeing that Nas ghostwrote Will Smith's - Miami

• chrischris 287 Posts
    Rick James on the Bruce Palmer solo LP on Verve.

• Rick James on the Bruce Palmer solo LP on Verve.

well, they WERE bandmates in the Mynah Birds, weren't they?

• chrischris 287 Posts
    yes, but still.

• On the Doors album "Soft Parade," George Bohannon is on trombone and Curtis Amy is on saxophone who does the crazy solo on "touch me."

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I caught the credits of Nova the other night and one of the writers was David Axelrod. I pasued for a second. Or was it Axlerod? Either way, I bet that episode of Nova had mad funky braeks.

• Dante Carfagna with Professor Griff?
    Monty Stark with Fleetwood Mac?
    Adrian Milan with Gary Wilson?

• Paul Stanley & Gene Simmons are backing vocalists
    on some of this LP.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    on a more mainstream tip...

-Dres from the blackheep on vanessa william's "comfort zone" album
    -tom morello from rage against the machine on the run dmc album
    -maynard from tool on the first rage album(turns out tool guitarist and rage guitarist used to be in a band together)
    -when slash was on some michael jackson record
    -johnny cash on some u2 record
    -dj premier on some limp bizkit record...WHAT THE FUCK WAS HE DOING ON that RECORD...soon to be followed by dj premier on a Christina Aguilerra record

-mix master mike on a tommy lee record

• -dj premier on some limp bizkit record...WHAT THE FUCK WAS HE DOING ON that RECORD

this beat is amazing

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I caught the credits of Nova the other night and one of the writers was David Axelrod. I pasued for a second. Or was it Axlerod? Either way, I bet that episode of Nova had mad funky braeks.

same axelrod that had a hand in half the songs on sesame street?

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Booker T. on a Soul Asylum record.

• girgir 329 Posts
    on a more mainstream tip...

-maynard from tool on the first rage album(turns out tool guitarist and rage guitarist used to be in a band together)

that doesn't seem that out of place at all, unless you think it was also out of place for him to guest on the deftones' third album as well.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    - Michael Jackson on an early-'80s LP by Tex-Mex rocker Joe "King" Carrasco

- Sly Stone on a seventies album by REO Speedwagon

I think in both cases, the artists in question happened to be in the same studio at the same time, Michael/Sly happened to hear Joe/REO up the hallway, and were all like "hey, what's THAT?"

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Donny Hathaway, producing Cold Blood's First Taste of Sin

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Macho Man Ted Nugent on the less than macho looking Michael Quatro LP.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Was it not Thin Lizzy parading as 'Funky Junction' on a Gladys Knight album?
    Bizarre.

-see pachamama's ebay sale link today, I think he missed this particular info nugget
    but he has that LP for sale

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Was it not Thin Lizzy parading as 'Funky Junction' on a Gladys Knight album?
    Bizarre.

-see pachamama's ebay sale link today, I think he missed this particular info nugget
    but he has that LP for sale

more info, pleez! never heard about this one

to quote theeman on VV:

Eric Bell, the original Thin Lizzy guitarist (70-73), was interviewed in Black Rose (the TL magazine) some years ago. In there he told the story about the FJ album. So it's definitely Thin Lizzy.

Musicians were Phil Lynott (bass), Eric Bell (guitar), Brian Downey (drums), Dave Lennox (keyboards), and Benny White (vocals). The first three were the Lizzy line-up at the time (1972). Phil couldn't sing in the style of Ian Gillan, so they brought in White from the Dublin band Elmer Fudd and also their keyboard player (Lennox). The album was released in early 1973. Lizzy had a couple of albums out that were no success and they had just moved to London from Dublin and were broke. They got an offer from a German man to record this album as a tribute to Deep Purple anonymously for a sum of money that would keep them from starving for a while. These versions can in no way compete with the DP original. Eric Bell is no Ritchie Blackmore and Lizzy was a young evolving band at the time - not to mention the low budget production that in all makes this merely a thing for die-hard Lizzy collectors."

So Thin Lizzy moonlight as Funky Junction on a Deep Purple tribute lp. What may be lesser known is that they also supplied 2 tracks as 'guests' on the Gladys Knight LP from the same time, and in fact your man motown67 reviewed it below on 2nd April:

GLADYS NIGHT AND THE PIPS WITH GUESTS FUNKY JUNCTION
    Especially For You (Stereo Gold Award)
    Stereo Gold Award was a major budget label of England. Especially For You is a good example of their output. Most of the album is very early RnB tunes from Gladys Knight And The Pips when they first got started. The last song on each side however is by a group calling itself the Funky Junction. In fact, they were studio musicians that were put together by Leo Muller. The first is called Talkin Trash, a slow mix of Funk and Rock led by the bass with plenty of fuzz. The other, Road???s End, is better with a faster pace and a drum break in the middle. Both tunes are also found on Purple Fox???s Tribute To Jimi Hendrix LP.

Both LP's get sold in Lizzy auctions on ebay and can reach decent prices.
    I have them but they are, IMHO, turds.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    So what you're saying is Lizzy and Knight never actually recorded together - it was just a cheapo label reissuing cuts from both on one LP.

So what you're saying is Lizzy and Knight never actually recorded together - it was just a cheapo label reissuing cuts from both on one LP.

correct - except the FJ cuts were recorded especially for this album, and were in no way previous (or future) Thin Lizzy tracks. Funky rock really, a field that Lynott wouldn't perfect for another few years.
    But the front of the sleeve implies that GK is backed by Funky Junction.
    Advertising standards were piss poor back then.
    Not that anyone knew who they were, it was a way of keeping the wolf from the door while the first Lizzy albums bombed.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i always thought DMX completely ruined aaliyah's "come back in one piece". really like her in that song, but he makes it unbearable.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    chuck mangione on the wilmer and the dukes stuff