electricity question (voltage related)

verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
not voltage actually, but milliamps. i have a midi keyboard for my laptop that didn't come with a power supply. it calls for 6 volts and i have an old Radio shack adapter with switchable voltage. i looked at the specs of the unit's recommended power supply online and it says it's 300 mA. my Radio Shack power supply is rated(?) at 800 mA. is that going to be a problem? unaware of all this, i used it once and nothing terrible happened. but i dont want to push it if it's not a good idea. any help is appreciated.peace, verb

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    not voltage actually, but milliamps.

i have a midi keyboard for my laptop that didn't come with a power supply. it calls for 6 volts and i have an old Radio shack adapter with switchable voltage. i looked at the specs of the unit's recommended power supply online and it says it's 300 mA. my Radio Shack power supply is rated(?) at 800 mA. is that going to be a problem? unaware of all this, i used it once and nothing terrible happened. but i dont want to push it if it's not a good idea.

any help is appreciated.

peace, verb

I doubt you will have a problem, the rating on the power supply is a maximum. Given a voltage, current (mA) is determined by the device attached to the power supply. So if the keyboard only draws 300 mA it will be well accommodated by an 800 mA power supply. As long as the voltage is correct, I think you're in the clear.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    cool, thanks for the info hommie.