MARY LOU WILLIAMS: Music For Peace/Mary Lou's Mass

roistoroisto 879 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Is the latter a comp of previously unreleased stuff and songs from Music For Peace?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yes...

MUSIC FOR PEACE
    (Music for peace (Mary Records, unnumbered) Williams' third Mass composed 1967, 1969, 1970 at the behest and with a commission from the Pontifical Commission on Justice and Peace at the Vatican. All of this, same one title (O.W.), plus fire additional titles recorded in 1972, constitute Mary Lou's Mass. Mary records M102, released in 1975. (Currently unavailable.)

I've got the MASS but I've never see MFP.... and the Mary label stuff pops up around here sometimes cuz she taught at Duke...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Is the latter a comp of previously unreleased stuff and songs from Music For Peace?

Never mind, I stand corrected.

• on the low music for peace is a much better overall record

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    on the low music for peace is a much better overall record

every thing I find on it says 'mass' is a reissue of 'peace' with bonus tracks... whats the deal??

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    on the low music for peace is a much better overall record

Yeah, I have Music For Peace. So, are the unreleased tracks on Mary Lou's Mass worth czeching out?

• yeah they're worth checking out - but there is a certain lack of cohesion between the tracks on mass that just makes it a less satisfying overall listen to me. people get off on mass because it has a spiritually bizzo-tastic cover and focuses less on the JC. there is one more 'funky' song on mass that sounds similar to that opening flute / bass joint on peace. i'm not really caring. but i fucks with the jesus.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Thanks to RD, I finally own a copy of 'Mass'. It has very quickly become one of my most cherished albums. It's perfect for a Sunday morning/afternoon, a little funky, a lot spritual, but not in the Pharoah spritual jazz sense, more as if you're actually listening to a full-on play or actual service in a chuch (no 'r'). Every song seems to have a place half-way thru where it flips and gets super deep, I love that about this record. I haven't heard 'Peace', so I can't comment on if that is any better or not.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    yeah they're worth checking out - but there is a certain lack of cohesion between the tracks on mass that just makes it a less satisfying overall listen to me.

Thanks for the info, RD.