Drum Envy!!!

2»

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    um

timbaland
    neptunes

bye

I actually think the Neptunes drum sounds suck. Their programming is dope, but sometimes the sounds are hella factory preset-like. Doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the music though.

I think a lot of these records are due to the engineers working on them. You gotta give credit where it's due, a record usually has that certain sound because of the engineer.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I think a lot of these records are due to the engineers working on them. You gotta give credit where it's due, a record usually has that certain sound because of the engineer.

I would agree, and add that the sound is heavily influenced by the equipment list where the albums are mixed/mastered.

UNIVERSAL AUDIO OWNS YOUR DRUM SOUND[/b]

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    The Apache break - Nice drums, nicely recorded with a niiiice sound.......... nice.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    um

timbaland
    neptunes

bye

I actually think the Neptunes drum sounds suck. Their programming is dope, but sometimes the sounds are hella factory preset-like. Doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the music though.

Yeah Neptunes were actually pretty generic with the drum sounds pre Clipse era for the most part. Their programming has become real dope though. A lot of their early shit was overly mechanical to me. Now shit is sounding a lot more natural, especially the percussion. Pharrell was on BET sayin how Dilla is his favorite producer and you can definitely hear the influence.

Like Jonny said, dope engineers have a lot to do with the drum sounds themselves. I think Troy Hightower and Segal could have anybody's shit sounding good.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

Yeah Neptunes were actually pretty generic with the drum sounds pre Clipse era for the most part. Their programming has become real dope though.

Case in point: Brrrrrr, what happened to that Bwai?

du-Dum, clack clack cu clack clack

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Yeah Neptunes were actually pretty generic with the drum sounds pre Clipse era for the most part. Their programming has become real dope though.

Case in point: Brrrrrr, what happened to that Bwai?

That's one of my favorite Neptunes tracks, f'real. That beat is nanners to me.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    As far as drum programming goes, is anyone really fucking with Timbaland as far as dudes who are still releasing shit?

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts

pretty accurate drum transcription there. your vocal drum game is up there with my drum line instructer's.