eliminating the ground wire

parenparen 537 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
dildo has slowed the setup process a bit, and the occasional accidental flip of that "line switch" on the back of the 909 still stumps me for a minute every now and then (why are the levels so low?!). after years of lugging, i'll take anything to make setup a little quicker. has anyone successfully applied the ground modification to their 1200s?

6.2 - Eliminating the ground wire

This may work only with certain setups -- to be sure: use a multimeter and do a continuity check between the ground screw on the back of your mixer/pre-amp/whatever and the outer conductor of the RCA jack inputs. Check both channels. Not all systems share a common ground. If it does, remove the rubber base from your TT. Remove the screws to the plastic stress clip for the cable coming out from under the tonearm. Dissasemble the clip. Remove the two screws holding down the round plate. Move it out of the way. Use two short lengths of wire and solder both to the ground tab the current wire is connected to. Solder the end of one wire to the shield of one channel in the audio cable where it is soldered to the PCB, and do the same for the other wire and channel. You can desolder and remove the old ground wire if you want. (I left mine on just in case) You may not want to do this mod if you are using different mixers constantly.

Comments

• I dunno where you are at, but I got a guy out here in NYC that does an internal grounding modification on 1200's. PM if you want his info.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    I dunno where you are at, but I got a guy out here in NYC that does an internal grounding modification on 1200's. PM if you want his info.

loc: naptown

thanks man, but not at all... i'm interested in saving a bit of time, but not at a price. anyone self-applied? anyone?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I can remember internally grounding ur 12's was big back in the early 90's. Until some people found out it could fuck y0 shit up. But maybe some people found a better way to do it.

Anyways... Post'em if ya got'em. I'd be interested to see what people do nowadayz.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I will only tell you this: soldering skillz are to obtain.

Do a lot of practice on junk equipment before touching your TT.

• The best way to eliminate the ground wire on a SL1200 without sacrificing sound quality is to upgrade the tonearm to something like Origin Live 200/300. These tonearms don't require any grounding and sound better than any Technics stock tonearms.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    The best way to eliminate the ground wire on a SL1200 without sacrificing sound quality is to upgrade the tonearm to something like Origin Live 200/300. These tonearms don't require any grounding and sound better than any Technics stock tonearms.

what lead you to this conclusion? their site is a bit low on content...

• I came to this conclusion after trying many different setups and variations. There are several different upgrades you can do on a Rega 200-300. I am talking about the Origin Live structural tonearm upgrade not the rewiring upgrade which comes with a ground plug. Prior to this I always thought the S arm sounded better than the STR8. Man was I wrong.Once you've heard a SL1200 with an upgraded tonearm you can't go back. You won't have to deal with ground plugs anymore!!! Another advantage from a DJ perspective are the 6' long RCA leads giving you more flexibility for setting up turntables.

• I dunno where you are at, but I got a guy out here in NYC that does an internal grounding modification on 1200's. PM if you want his info.

loc: naptown

thanks man, but not at all... i'm interested in saving a bit of time, but not at a price. anyone self-applied? anyone?

cool, I have no idea where naptown refers to, so that's why I offered.