so, seems like the transit strike is gonna happen.

124»

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    All kids starting in middle school get free laptops in both of the school districts I've lived in.

Shall we pull out some stats on Texas?

It's a chicken/egg scenario that I find fairly ironic.

What other explanation is there for such a blatant cost of living discrepency within the same country??

concentration of capital is the workers fault?

this link may help you: www.google.com

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    All kids starting in middle school get free laptops in both of the school districts I've lived in.

What other explanation is there for such a blatant cost of living discrepency within the same country??

Dude, we'll have to agree to disagree because there aren't enough Big Spliff's on earth that I could smoke and see things your way.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Dude, we'll have to agree to disagree because there aren't enough Big Spliff's on earth that I could smoke and see things your way.

GET ON MY LEVEL

No worries. Now, what if every kid did get a laptop - do you think that is necessarily a good thing?!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

From what I see on here, there are a lot of people who don't see a need to compromise in business. That is not, to me, a recipe for success. It is respectable to live life without compromise; but it is often times not the best business decision.

I am going with Johnny on this point, and in general. Except that I would go so far as to say it is IMPOSSIBLE to live life successfully without compromise. It can't be done and should never be a goal.

You sound poor.

• The strike is part of a much bigger issue, which is slowly playing out in NYC, South America, China, and countless other places around the world where wealth is being concentrated like never before. Working people are basically funding the biggest global privatisation push since the days of kings, explorers, merchants and pirates, aka privateers. Look at the statistics, and there is a global pattern since the late 70s.

crock o' shit. "days of kings and explorers" lol

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Spliff,

Two questions... And lets try and keep it on the issue in hand.

1. Why is it the International heads of the Union feel that last deal offered by the MTA was fair and they are upset with the local not accepting it?

2. Can you tell me right out, what is deemed "fair"? I'd be interested in what that number is and for how long it's "fair" for.

I mean, fair to me has always been I throw out a number. You throw out a number. And we try to meet somewhere in the middle. Or atleast workable. Not I throw out a number, you throw out a number... I move closer to your number. You stay at ur number...

• The strike is part of a much bigger issue, which is slowly playing out in NYC, South America, China, and countless other places around the world where wealth is being concentrated like never before. Working people are basically funding the biggest global privatisation push since the days of kings, explorers, merchants and pirates, aka privateers. Look at the statistics, and there is a global pattern since the late 70s.

crock o' shit. "days of kings and explorers" lol

Dude, pirates are not a joking matter.

• Shiver me timbers - I'm here to consolidate wealth!

Shiver me timbers - I'm here to consolidate wealth!

Isn't that guy the NFL players rep from Tampa Bay???

NFL Players union = Best in the world...just ask T.O.

NFL Owners trying to screw poor T.O. out of money. Just because the guy agreed to a contract people act like he'd actually have to honor it.

No worries. Now, what if every kid did get a laptop - do you think that is necessarily a good thing?!

Well, I'm old enough to remember when schools started letting kids bring calculators to class and I thought it would result in an overall decrease of math skills.....Laptop is today's calculator.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    And at the end of the day, as a worker, you have to compromise

If I wanted to bust up a union, the first thing I would do is offer two different wage/benefit scenarios to different members within the union. (Or, I would do like the MTA -- cook my books and lie.)

Once you have a collective with two different wage/benefit scenarios, it becomes much easier to divide them. If we don't accept a standard wage scenario, we have more collective bargaining power.

Union busting tactics. Not compromise.

It is respectable to live life without compromise; but it is often times not the best business decision.

Because "the best business decisions" have got us to a largely unrepresented working poor class? Thank you, no. I'll stick with collective bargaining.

The compromise represented by the present society is contingent on the preservation of a status quo which is in fact everywhere constantly out of its control.

If I were a transit worker I would want the best deal I could possibly get.

That's the problem. You only think of yourself. Yaper Getters Union, Local 1.

But to blindly display allegiance to one or the other party, when both are fundamentally fucked, is not to me a well-reasoned stance.

(qoute)IM FUCKING PISSED!(/quote)

• No worries. Now, what if every kid did get a laptop - do you think that is necessarily a good thing?!

Well, I'm old enough to remember when schools started letting kids bring calculators to class and I thought it would result in an overall decrease of math skills.....Laptop is today's calculator.

So now the increase in typing skills will offset the loss of math skills, creating a new race of super-clerical workers?

So now the increase in typing skills will offset the loss of math skills, creating a new race of super-clerical workers?

Unless they use their typing skills to just post here!!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZing!

• No worries. Now, what if every kid did get a laptop - do you think that is necessarily a good thing?!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZing!

I'm still reeling....

My kid goes to the University of North Texas which is a big music school.

I'm gonna ask the Chancellor next semester if they would start a class called "Soulstrut 101"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    My kid goes to the University of North Texas which is a big music school.

I'm gonna ask the Chancellor next semester if they would start a class called "Soulstrut 101"

Rockadelic luh da kidz.

And at the end of the day, as a worker, you have to compromise

If I wanted to bust up a union, the first thing I would do is offer two different wage/benefit scenarios to different members within the union. (Or, I would do like the MTA -- cook my books and lie.)

Once you have a collective with two different wage/benefit scenarios, it becomes much easier to divide them. If we don't accept a standard wage scenario, we have more collective bargaining power.

Union busting tactics. Not compromise.

It is respectable to live life without compromise; but it is often times not the best business decision.

Because "the best business decisions" have got us to a largely unrepresented working poor class? Thank you, no. I'll stick with collective bargaining.

The compromise represented by the present society is contingent on the preservation of a status quo which is in fact everywhere constantly out of its control.

If I were a transit worker I would want the best deal I could possibly get.

That's the problem. You only think of yourself. Yaper Getters Union, Local 1.

But to blindly display allegiance to one or the other party, when both are fundamentally fucked, is not to me a well-reasoned stance.

(qoute)IM FUCKING PISSED!(/quote)

Shit, If I was blind I'd be pissed too!!!

• Isn't that guy the NFL players rep from Tampa Bay???

NFL Players union = Best in the world...just ask T.O.

NFL Owners trying to screw poor T.O. out of money. Just because the guy agreed to a contract people act like he'd actually have to honor it.

yeah, but what was it like playing in professional sports back in the day, the 40's, 50's, 60's, even 70's? The players were fucked, the owners ran shit. Yes, I'm sure it swings both ways after the players organize themselves, people making zillions while only batting .250. One thing is for certain tho, you'll never say 'the poor NFL owners'. At least the players these days are getting a more fair share of the pie.

These are the strongest unions, pro-sports, SAG (screen actors guild), etc...why? Cos they understand their power, that the public wants to see them, the stars. But one thing these unions do is help the people starting out. I think SAG a few years ago had a strike cos folks were trying to cut benefits for actors, and MAJOR actors were not doing TV commercials in support of this. Most big time actors don't have to strike, they can afford their own benefits, but they do it because they all started somewhere, and to give folks who don't have the connections or prestige to at least have a decent starting wage and benefits.By having the backing of major stars, they have some power of the folks dictacting their benefits. Around this time I believe Elizabeth Hurley broke the pickett line and did some commercial, and got major major shit in the industry for that.

My brother works as an AC (assistent cameraman), works long as fuck hours, but he makes a decent living doing it. If that shit wasn't union, his pay would probabbly be about a 1/3rd of what he's making.

I've been working in Bars as a DJ and Bartender for over a decade. I've never had health ins. or any kind of benefits. There is talk about forming a DJ union in NYC. I'm sure y'all have had DJ stories in bars, getting fucked over, getting jobs cancelled the day before, etc. There's a lot of shady owners in this biz, and many of them have the attitude that if they can get away with it, its kosher. And that's how a lot of the world works, and its fucking bullshit. That's why people need to stand up to this.

Unions for what they're worth can be a way for the workers to stand up for themselves. And obviously, that's why the Right wing has been trying to break them down whenever possible.

Check the film 'The Corporation'. Check out what's been happening in South America. The Bechtel corp. confiscating houses down there because people couldn't pay their water bill, and making collecting rainwater illegal. Privatization, this is what these muthafuckers want.

Again, not sure if this directly relates to the strike at hand, but you have to be sleeping under a rock to not realize what these mofos are up to. Its like they read 1984 as a field manual rather than a warning.

$??