Serato/ripping vinyl question

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
so i took the plunge and bought serato this weekend. damn that shit is dope. anyways, i want to start ripping my singles but i want to know the way that will provide decent-good results. right now my mixer is hooked up to my line in on my G5, but i was told that i would be better off buying an external audio device. what do you all use, or do to get good quality rips for serato?

Comments

• i go straight into my cd burner, then put into itunes.
    the price you gotta pay...

• its best to get an external audi box like the M BOX so you can get the best soundquality possible. The standard internal sound cards inside macs and PC's are usually rat shit and really not meant for high quality sound replication.

Have fun with Serato - I'm thinking of taking the plunge myself this week.

• A sound card with high quality A/D converters, Apogee, Pro Tools, EMU will give the best results. During the recording process you should use a phono cartridge equiped with an eliptical or microline stylus.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Any suggestions on a quality but affordable sound box?

• I'm using the M Audio Firewire
    Few hundred bucks but well worth it.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    so i took the plunge and bought serato this weekend. damn that shit is dope. anyways, i want to start ripping my singles but i want to know the way that will provide decent-good results. right now my mixer is hooked up to my line in on my G5, but i was told that i would be better off buying an external audio device. what do you all use, or do to get good quality rips for serato?

Just go to the Serato forums and sign up for the v1.5 beta. Then you can use Serato to record your vinyl to aiff thru the serato interface.

If you insist on getting another external device, I'd get the M-Audio Audiophile.

-pj

• parenparen 537 Posts

Just go to the Serato forums and sign up for the v1.5 beta. Then you can use Serato to record your vinyl to aiff thru the serato interface.

If you insist on getting another external device, I'd get the M-Audio Audiophile.

-pj

1.5 is solid thus far the direct recording to aiff is nice. sloppy trackpad scrolling is a known issue... save that - i am pleased thus far. big up, dildo 1.5

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    A sound card with high quality A/D converters, Apogee, Pro Tools, EMU will give the best results. During the recording process you should use a phono cartridge equiped with an eliptical or microline stylus.

how do you know if a needle is elliptical? i looked on turntablelab and none of the descriptions say anything about that.

• Look out for the cartridge name or reference. It won't be written on the turntable but on the cartridge itself. Most DJ cartridges have conical styli that don't track as deep in the groove as elliptical needles. You might be able to find answers regarding phono cartridges on this web site http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.5/category.406/.f
    In my opinion the most bang for the bucks comes with the tonearm upgrade of your turntable. Origin Live makes quality tonearm upgrade kits for SL1200 www.tonearm.co.uk/j-technics-arm.htm, record clamps are a good way to improve bass. Upgrade of your phono preamp/cartridge to Moving Coil is another costly step but well worth it.
    They are plenty of other ways to improve the quality of your recordings, sky is the limit!!!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    One of these babies (Shure M97xE) will bring great results too:

Just go to Turntable Lab: http://www.turntablelab.com/index1-eq.html