how many hrs. of sleep do you require?

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
i'm a 8-9 dude.peace, stein. . .

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I function on 4-5 regularly but more often that I'd like to. That's the real schitt when you got a baby. On weekends, I try to make up for it but ha, that never really works so well.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    My sleep schedule is really messed up. I like getting 8-9 hours of sleep, however I find I can't concentrate well. If I get 6 hours of sleep I can concentrate very well but I'm also tired.

Anyone else experience this and have some recommendations (perhaps diet related?)

• I'll sleep 10-12 if I can.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I'm all for 10-11 hours a night but tend to survive on 5-6 due to not wanting to sacrifice my evenings while having to get up way too early for my job.

I have a strong believe that if i got a good night's sleep on a regular basis I'd be a far more successful member of society.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I function on 4-5 regularly but more often that I'd like to. On weekends, I try to make up for it but ha, that never really works so well.

I do it the other way round

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    8 hrs. Soft sheets.

• [color:#666666] i never sleep cause sleep is the cousin of death,... nasty n** [/color]

mostly 3-6 hours that??s what i need, if i sleep longer, i??m tired

• On weekends, I try to make up for it but ha, that never really works so well.

same here. I get next to no sleep during the week 'cause of school and everything else. when the weekend hits I just wanna do all the fun stuff and the sleep never ends up happening. i usually get 5-6 but i NEED 9-10.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    i operate ok on 5-6-7 hours .. i like getting up though, esp on a nice day. im bushed mid afternoon and need to relax hard then but i can do the whole morning thing. my girl is opposite. shes in bed by 11 and up at 1 on weekends, and it gets on my nerves

• chasechase 767 Posts

mostly 3-6 hours that??s what i need, if i sleep longer, i??m tired

Im the same way, funny though I aways want to sleep more, even if it means I will be tired though the whole day

• Even on my days off. 4-5 hours. I'm to high strung, got too much to do. Only got time for power naps, in fact it's taking too much time to post this. i need to re prioritize.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I find it it's getting less w/ age. I used to need at least 9, but now it's regularly 7 hours a day. I also turned into a morning persob, which is odd.

It's funny someone mentioned being more focused, the less sleep you get. I've noticed that, too.

• I can survive on 6 - 7, but would prefer 8 - 9...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    since my son it has been 5-6 hours a night. But for some reason I operate better with less sleep. I used to be a night person, now MORNING PERSON. I get up early even when my son isnt up yet.

Last night I went to bed at 1230 and I got up at 630. restful.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Last night I went to bed at 1230 and I got up at 630. restful.

that's called inner breezyness.

• 5 usually, but 8 is ideal, more is too much

yall heard of sleep cycles? supposedly (and this is second hand info) we will be most restful after 4 hour cycles. so 4 hours sleep is better than 5 hours, which interrupts your sleep defragmenting or whatever. 8 hours = optimal

• I get up earlier and earlier as I get older, but I have found it isnt really the number of hours, its where in your sleep pattern you wake up...sleep occurs in waves, you are contantly going in out of deep sleep, if you try to wake up when you are in the middle of a deep sleep mode, you feel like ass and dont want to get up, but if you can figure out when you come out of the deep sleep and you wake up when you are in a period of light sleep, you will feel refreshed. How you find it I have no idea. They say Davinci never slept, he would nap only to the point of deep sleep and then wake up...he would hold an object and right when he entered deep sleep, his muscles would relax and he wouldnt be able to hold the object, it would drop and the noise would wake him up and he would continue on with his work...however I dont know how true that is.

• 5 usually, but 8 is ideal, more is too much

yall heard of sleep cycles? supposedly (and this is second hand info) we will be most restful after 4 hour cycles. so 4 hours sleep is better than 5 hours, which interrupts your sleep defragmenting or whatever. 8 hours = optimal

I've heard this and I find it to be true. I think you come in and out of deep sleep every four hours. As for myself, 8 hours is perfect but more often than not I get between 6-7. I always try to make up on the weekends but usually I'm even more busy on the weekends than I am during the week. I guess I'll catch up when I'm dead.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Depends

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Anything under 6 is no bueno. 7 to 8 is much better.

• last weeks I've been sleeping 12 hours a day mostly. Not that good caus I miss all sunshine. Waking up when it's dark outside leads to depression..

• I've been operating on 6 hours of sleep the last three days. I'm amazed I'm as awake as I am today. Usually I get about 6 hours a day but I work best with 8 hours of sleep.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Waking up when it's dark outside leads to depression..

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    5 - 6 for four days a week cause of work. And then I crash for 10 or 11 on the other days, when I don't have morning committments.

I always hoped that one day I'd be one of those standard 7 hour types that can go to sleep when they like, but nah ... I dunno if it'll ever happen dammit.

• more

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    5 usually, but 8 is ideal, more is too much

is it 4? i thought i was 3. maybe they have new findings or whatever.

i've been waking up in the middle of heavy dreams and feeling fucked up. 7.5 hours and still yawning like hell?

• I hardly ever sleep more than 6 hours since we have a baby. I take a nap during the day sometimes. But I have to make sure I'm not going into a deep sleep or anything longer than 10 minutes because I can get very confused and disoriented if I do. Is that common?

• i was taking some meds one time that were making me sleep about 15 hours a day. i'd go to bed at about 2 am and get up at 5 pm the next day. kind of ridiculous.

it's about 7-8 now for me. i usually am fucked up the whole day if i get less than that.

if i get to little sleep i get insomnia. you would think the less sleep you get the easier it would be to sleep but the opposite happens to me for some reason.

they did some studies in germany that showed sometimes sleep deprevation actually helps as a treatment of depression.

dave

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    7.5 weekdays. i'm sleeping. 6 weekends.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    5 usually, but 8 is ideal, more is too much

sleep cycles very on age, as you get older, cycles become shorter. It depends on what stage of sleep you wake up from, and diffrent stages rest diffrent functions. Like stage 4 sleep (very deep sleep) is the hardest to wake up from, but the most physically relaxing (this is when everything drops, like blood pressure, body tempurature, muscle tone, etc). REM sleep is when your mind is most physically rested, and where dreams occur. This is the easiest time to wake up from.

But studies have shown getting less then 6 hours of sleep and more then 8 hours of sleep (for an adult) can decrease your life span because of hormonal reasons.

Me personally, I try to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, especially on school days because id be passing out in class not being able to pay attention and study afterwerds. Also id be hurting physically.