Young 78 collectors

13»

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Mr. Nemo,

Riddle me this: Some sources cite Johnny Williams as really being Baby Boy Warren. Some sources cite Johnny Williams as being John Lee Hooker. Which is it? Or is it both?

I'm no blues scholar, they may have both used the name, but that would be just a guess.

does the record you just got sound like Hooker? the 78 I have on Staff - 'Prison Bound' b/w 'Bumble Bee Blues' is definitely Hooker.

• Mr. Nemo,

Riddle me this: Some sources cite Johnny Williams as really being Baby Boy Warren. Some sources cite Johnny Williams as being John Lee Hooker. Which is it? Or is it both?

I'm no blues scholar, they may have both used the name, but that would be just a guess.

does the record you just got sound like Hooker? the 78 I have on Staff - 'Prison Bound' b/w 'Bumble Bee Blues' is definitely Hooker.

Yeah, "Forgive Me Darling/Please Don't Think I'm Nosey" does sound like Hooker, although I can't say that I have a trained John Lee Hooker ear. When I listen to it side by side with the John Lee Booker record, it sounds pretty similar. Different enough to make me a little unsure, but there are some definate similarities.

This website lists Baby Boy Warren as the artist on this record:

web page

Scott

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    I know Eli as well - he succeeded me as the manager of a record store here in Boston...he eventually quit for the same reason as me, also - we have gone 45 digging a couple of times, dude has deep crates for such a young gangsta. Very talented musician, too. He's blowing the spot around here these days with his band.

he is in the rotation for the soul night we do at Zuzu on saturdays. Good dude. His tastes run a few years earlier than mine, but i can tell his heart is in it.

-pj

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I know Eli as well - he succeeded me as the manager of a record store here in Boston...he eventually quit for the same reason as me, also - we have gone 45 digging a couple of times, dude has deep crates for such a young gangsta. Very talented musician, too. He's blowing the spot around here these days with his band.

he is in the rotation for the soul night we do at Zuzu on saturdays. Good dude. His tastes run a few years earlier than mine, but i can tell his heart is in it.

-pj

now you just gotta throw SoulOnIce into that rotation...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    any of ya that want to do it, just hit me in pm. I don't organize the night anymore, but I'll forward you to the dude that does.

-pj