old big daddy magazines

DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
i pulled out a stash that i had last night and started to read a few. that magazine rocked. the soulman rocks too, that dude always had some fresh articles. one of the dj lists by dante reminded me of a soul strut post (could be any random one):ten for late nights in unknow citiesanyone know if any of these back issues are still around? i need a few. feel free to comment on the mag as well, inquiring minds want to know.

Comments

• i was just thinking how much i miss that zine...i missing issues 1-4 soulmans interviews were always dope, the p brothers cracked me up too(bonus points for mentioning ultramag in every interview) shit like that...dave tompkins paul c story was ridiculous too...

• I liked their History Of The Cut-Up that spilled over (with a LOT of editing errors) into the first issue of Grand Slam.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    plus that huge John Anderson interview. That was NUTS!

• I once got dissed in there for being too , now george knows I'm a true artthug.

I wish Big Daddy was still around.

• I once got dissed in there for being too , now george knows I'm a true artthug.

I wish Big Daddy was still around.
    was it a biz markie/john travolta/buck65 error? that rings a bell..

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    issues 1-4

there was no issue #2, right ?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Oh yeah man, Big Daddy was the shit. Grandslam continued the legacy and it was sad to see them go. I had a letter published in Issue 1, Vol 3 (Jam Master Jay on the cover) AND IT MADE MY FUCKING YEAR.

- still pissed at my wife for throwing out my Big Daddys...

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    These can be got for relatively cheap, right?
    I caught a 3 pack for $10 on the bay a while back. Is that usual?

• I tryed to get every issue by looking for backstock issues in all of the mailorders around the world. There are still 3 issues avaiable at Turntablelab.com, Dustygroove.com should still have some.

But the best for me was ebay, there is a seller in the UK who sells complete collections of all issues. Dont know how hes getting ahold of it but he had it. Maybe he worked there. I payed about 60 BP which is like 90 Euros and dollar should be around 80$. It was 18 month ago but I'm pretty shure his ebay name was spectrumbreak. Go ask him if he still has copys.

Fro me the issue 5 is the most important. Because of that Gabriel Roth article where he wrote about his recording technics for his Daptone lable. Great starting kit to experiment with and finding that shitty sound spot you need for an garage funk band sound.

Big Daddy is one of the greates beacuse of the info AND of the typical UK humor which sometimes I miss a lot when I'm reading another well known digger magazine.

Also a great magazine was Fat Lace magazine from the UK, it was the same like Big Daddy just for HipHop. Great nonsense with a lot of sensefull infos and bringing back memorys. I'll never forgot how they did a photo story of the Steady B and Cool C bankrobbery. They also did a great "Free Steady B" T Shirt.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Oh yeah man, Big Daddy was the shit. Grandslam continued the legacy and it was sad to see them go.

Ivory told me once that someone had to leave Notts when things got uneasy (BD related)...always the trouble with making money vs content...bring that ish back!! Best read so far...yocal news was, how do you say, bonkers?! And Hawkeye, thanks for the info on backissues, will check the bay in a minute...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Also a great magazine was Fat Lace magazine from the UK, it was the same like Big Daddy just for HipHop. Great nonsense with a lot of sensefull infos and bringing back memorys. I'll never forgot how they did a photo story of the Steady B and Cool C bankrobbery. They also did a great "Free Steady B" T Shirt.

Yeah, I remember Rob Bringuir was involved in there...we hooked up with them and he came to Germany to spin a few times...supercool dude! And related to that Group Home thread that was on a week ago or so, they had "wise words from the nutcracker" column with all your favourite Group Home quotes in there. Really sad they didn't continue this ish for grown up bboys...truely indeed it was and

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    issues 1-4

there was no issue #2, right ?

yeah there was, very rare though. I think the Biz haz a suitcase full of them.

• pahpopahpo 23 Posts

of the typical UK humor

OOOooOoohh!! Sure that was blinding Mate!!!
    Anyone remember the "PaleFace-Rocker" that used to write them reggae/roots chronicles??? He used to talk about the Hornsey district (North London) with them "Kentucky fried pigeons".... I wonder if he was the one who did the lines that got censured (with only a removable-sticker on it)talking about Blair & child-molesting politicians... That geezer was the MAN...sadly, he wasnt writing anymore for them soon after the incident...

• pahpopahpo 23 Posts
    You might aswell go straight to the (main)source as George (B.D.'s editor) is selling waxes on the bay under the "Brother*green" pseudo...He may hook you up with something...

• got an extra issue 5 if anyone needs it