RAER EARTH

kennykenny 1,024 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
this is driving me crazy!

"if i die / please make sure/....some-one will briiing meee home !!"

is there anything else on that label I should look out for ? besides P.Of Z.

I saw this group called Sounds Nice which is also on the Rare Earth label but didn't pick it up, is it dope ?

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    That Sounds Nice on Rare Earth is a US pressing of this UK album on EMI/Parlophone:

I used to have both versions, but I only kept the UK press. It's a Tim Mycroft/Paul Buckmaster/Gus Dudgeon related studio project. Involves the usual UK studio suspects like Clem Cattini, Herbie Flowers, Chris Spedding and so on. I like it, I'm putting one of the tracks in a mix right now.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yea mine is a yellow cover, so its probably the US pressing.

maybe I should go back tomorrow night and get it.

Yellow cover with a girl in front. Expect a mix of rock, pop, jazz, soul with strings on top. "International Exchange" and "Summers End" are nice, but don't get your hopes up too high.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    this is driving me crazy!

"if i die / please make sure/....some-one will briiing meee home !!"

is there anything else on that label I should look out for ? besides P.Of Z.

I saw this group called Sounds Nice which is also on the Rare Earth label but didn't pick it up, is it dope ?

Rare Earth was dope. If I'm not mistaken, they were the first (and only?) white group signed to Motown. I'm pretty sure the Rare Earth record label was a subsidiary of Motown, too.

I need to listen to that record again cause it's been a minute.

Every record the group put out that I've heard has at least one good cut on it.

I'd like to check out that Sounds Nice. How many other groups were signed to that label?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    . How many other groups were signed to that label?

Lots of white groups on Raer Earth....

Pretty Things
    Lost Nation

And lots more

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There's some really good stuff on the label, but a lot of dreck, too. Trust me, I went through a phase of buying anything I found on Rare Earth, and ended up with some pretty bad albums by groups like Matrix, Poor Boys, and Repairs.

However, the Messengers album is definitely worth grabbing, and Brass Monkey has one REALLY dope track that makes it worth grabbing for cheap.

Supposedly the album by Magic is insane, although I have yet to find it.

Some of the best material on Rare Earth is stuff they licensed for import from UK labels, like the Pretty Things "S.F. Sorrow" and "Parachute" and the Love Scuplture LP.

RARE EARTH ALBUM DISCOGRAPHY

Number - Title - Artist [Release Date] (Chart) Contents

RS-505-509 - Introduction to Rare Earth Records - Various Artists [6/69] This is a promotional 5 record boxed set which contains the first 5 releases on Rare Earth. The cover of the boxed set has a picture of the Rare Earth label with "A VERY HEAVY NEW LABEL" on it. Each of the five records in the set have promotional white labels, and all have the round die cut cover.

RS-505 - Blues Helping - Love Sculpture [8/69] Originally issued with die cut round top covers. Later released with a standard cover. The Stumble/3 O'clock Blues/I Believe To My Soul/So Unkind/Summertime/On The Road Again//Don't Answer The Door/Wang-Dang-Doodle/Come Back Baby/Shake Your Hips/Blues Helping

RS-506 - S.F. Sorrow - Pretty Things [8/69] Originally issued with die cut round top covers. Later released with a standard cover. S.F. Sorrow Is Born/Bracelets/She Says Good Morning/Private Sorrow/Balloon Burning/Death//Baron Saturday/The Journey/I See You/Well of Destiny/Trust/Old Man Going/Loneliest Person

RS-507 - Get Ready - Rare Earth [8/69] (12-69, #12) Originally issued with die cut round top covers; also later released with a standard cover. Original issue had white label bottom, later issues had all orange labels. Magic Key (S)/Tobacco Road (S)/Feelin' Alright (S)/In Bed (S)/Train To Nowhere (S)//Get Ready (S, 21:30)

RS-508 - Bedlam - Rustix [8/69] (11-69, #200) Originally issued with die cut round top covers. May have been released with a standard cover. Feelin' Alright/I Guess This Is Goodbye/I Heard It Through The Grapevine/I Can't Make It Without You/(Baby) Can't You Hear The Music Play//Lady In My Dreams/Country/Wednesday's Child/Free Again/That's What Poppa Told Me

RS-509 - Messengers - Messengers [8/69] Originally issued with die cut round top covers. May have been released with a standard cover. Louie Louie/The Letter/Leavin' Here/Do You Believe In Love/A Little Bit For Sandy/You Keep Running Away//I'll Move Heaven And Earth/Must We Always Live For Tomorrow/Nowhere To Run/Window Shopping/Gotta See Jane/Greyhound To Indiana

RS-510 - Generation (Soundtrack) - Rare Earth [Unissued]

RS-511 - Toe Fat - Toe Fat [7/70] That's My Love For You/Bad Side Of The Moon/Nobody/The Wherefors And The Whys/But I'm Wrong//Just Like Me/Just Like All The Rest/I Can't Believe/Working Nights/You Tried To Take It All

RS-512 - Love at First Sight - Sounds Nice [9/70] Love At First Sight/La Peregrinacion/Gauloise/Flying/Iron Mountain/I Heard It Through The Grapevine//Sleepless Night/Why Do I Do It?/King Kong/Love You Too/Continental Exchange/Summer's End

RS-513 - Come on People - Rustix [7/70] Mississippi Woman/Do Right Woman-Do Right Man/Hey Mose/Dress Colored Lavender Blue//Come On People/Billie's Gone/Hard To Handle/Maple Shade Country Day/Cry Another Day Away/Finale: Happy Trails

RS-514 - Ecology - Rare Earth [6/70] (7-70, #15) Born To Wander (S)/Long Time Leavin' (S)/(I Know) I'm Losing You (S, 10:53 alternate version from the 45)//Satisfaction Guaranteed (S)/Nice Place To Visit (S)/No. 1 Man (S)/Eleanor Rigby (S)

RS-515 - Parachute - Pretty Things [9/70] Scene One/The Good Mr. Square/She Was Tall She Was High/In The Square/The Letter/Rain/Miss Fay Regrets/Cries From The Midnight Circus//Grass/Sickle Clowns/She's a Lover/What's The Use/Parachute

RS-516 - The Gospel According to Zeus - Power of Zeus [9/70] It Couldn't Be Me/In The Night/Green Grass And Clover/I Lost My Love/The Death Trip//No Time/Uncertain Destination/Realization/Hard Working Man/The Sorcerer Of Isis (The Ritual Of The Mole)

RS-517 - Easy Ridin' - Easybeats [Unissued?] This album, although listed in both the 1970 and 71/72 Motown catalogs and many other places, may have been unreleased.

RS-518 - Paradise Lost - Lost Nation [9/70] Tall Ivory Castle/Rome/Little Boy/Images//Seven Minute Woman/Shadows Within You/She'll Take You/Falling Inside My Mind

RS-519 - Ain't Nothin' in Our Pocket But Love - Poor Boys [5/70] Beg Me/Do What You Wanna Do/Can't Get Back In/Wooden Horse/A Place Called Love/Little Boy Blue//Mary Mary/Rhyme Or Reason/You Made Your Bed/I Won't Take No For An Answer/Let's Do More About Love/Just Like A Clock

RS-520 - One World - Rare Earth [6/71] (7-71, #28) What'd I Say/If I Die/The Seed/I Just Want To Celebrate//Someone To Love/Any Man Can Be A Fool/The Road/Under God's Light

RS-521 - 45 Lives - Cats [9/70] Marian/Mandy My Dear/Magical Mystery Morning/Scarlet Ribbons/Why/Times Were When//Lies/Without Your Love/Lea/I Walk Through The Fields/Somewhere Up There/I've Always Tried To Understand

RS-522 - I Think Therefore I Am - R. Dean Taylor [12/70] (2-71, #198) Gotta See Jane (S)/Fire And Rain (S)/Woman Alive (S)/Ain't It A Sad Thing (S)/Indiana Wants Me (E except for stereo gunfire at the end, different from the 45 version)//Back Street (S)/Two Of Us (S)/Sunday Morning Coming Down (S)/Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got (S)/Love's Your Name (S)

RS-523 - Brass Monkey - Brass Monkey [4/71] Sweet Water/You Keep Me Hangin' On/Goodbye Birds/All Fall Down/Strange Days//Keep A Little Bit Back/Stay With Me Baby/Proud Mary/Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)/Sing Sing Sing

RS-524 - U.F.O. 1 - U.F.O. [4/71] Unidentified Flying Object/Boogie For George/C'Mon Everybody/Shake It About/(Come Away) Melinda//Timothy/Follow You Home/Treacle People/Who Do You Love/Evil

RS-525 - Toe Fat Two - Toe Fat [3/71] Stick Heat/Indian Summer/Idol/There'll Be Changes//A New Way/Since You've Been Gone/Three Time Loser/Midnight Sun

RS-526 - Sunday Funnies - Sunday Funnies [5/71] Walk Down The Path of Freedom/It's Just A Dream/You And I/Tell Me//The Axe/Crack In A Bell/Let The Son Shine/Child Of Mine

RS-527 - Magic - Magic [9/71] Keep On Movin On/No Know/Alexis/Pacifying Burn/Don't Use Your Love To Blind Me//Back At Beckers (Shelly's Blues)/Velvet Underwear/Absolutely Free Absolutely Beautiful/Duckbutter/I'm Your Landlord/Our Hearts Are In Out Heads

R-528L - Stoney and Meatloaf - Stoney & Meatloaf [9/71] First album by Meatloaf, the corpulent artist who later recorded such classics as "Two out of Three Ain't Bad" and "Paradise By the Dashboard Light" for Epic. (I'd Love To Be) As Heavy As Jesus/She Waits By The Window/It Takes All Kinds Of People/Game Of Love/Kiss Me Again//What You See Is What You Get/Sunshine (Where's Heaven)/Jimmy Bell/Lady Be Mine/Jessica White

R-529L - Down at the Brassworks - Impact Of Brass [9/71] Never Can Say Goodbye/Care Free/Second Street Exit/Reach Out I'll Be There/So Far So Good/My Cherie Amour//Flyin' High/Make It With You/The High Place/One Bad Apple/Still Water (Love)/Put Your Hand In The Hand

R-530L - Dennis Stoner - Dennis Ston er [11/71] Lost Along The Highway/Nightingale/The Story Of Isaac/Side Street Woman/Maybe Someday Maybe Never//Bastille Day/Girl From The North Country/Riders In The Sky/43rd Street/Southern Man

R-531L - Jesus Christ's Greatest Hits - God Squad Featuring Leonard Caston [1/72] Superstar/My Sweet Lord/Spirit In The Sky/Bridge Over Troubled Water/Let It Be//Wade In The Water/Put Your Hand In The Hand/I Don't Know How To Love Him/Heaven Help Us All/Amazing Grace/Oh Happy Day

R-532L - Already a Household Word - Repairs [11/71] Lonesome Sorrow/Measures/Sleepwalkin' Child/There She Was/Circle Won't Take Me Around/Thinking It Over/Walkin' Down My Road//Michael From Mountains/Celebration/Tired Of Waiting/Paper Goodbye/Americoround/Bummer World/Fanciful Funny Man

R-533L - Head to Head - Other People [11/71?] This album, although listed in the 71/72 Motown catalog is probably unreleased.

R-534L - Rare Earth In Concert - Rare Earth [12/71] (1-72, #29) (2-LP set in a pocket jacket designed like a backpack, with full size pull-out picture card) I Just Want To Celebrate (S)/Hey Big Brother (S)/Born To Wander (S)//Get Ready (S, 23:38)//What'd I Say (S)/Thoughts (S)//(I Know) I'm Losing You (S, 14:09)/Nice To Be With You (S)

R-535 - [Unissued]

R-536L - Plight of the Redman - Xit [2/72] Beginning/At Peace/I Was Raised/Nihaa Shil Hozho/I Am Happy About You//The Coming Of The White Man/War Cry/Someday/End?

R-537L - Howl the Good - Howl the Good [2/72] Things You Do/Just Pretend It's Another Day/I Need A Friend/The Joke/Harder Doing Nothing//Why Do You Cry/Long Way From Home/Beginning Of The End/This Moment In The Sun/Ain't Hard To Stumble

R-538L - Benediction - Sunday Funnies [5/72] Get Funky/Double Grace/Two Halves Of A Whole/Keep On Truckin'/Rock Me Lord/Friends Indeed//Reach Out I'll Be There/We're All On The Same Side Of The Fence/Power And The Glory/Brother John/The Pillow

R-539L - One Tree or Another - Keef James [5/72] Once In Your Life/Life Is A Knight/Fly Away/Pieces/Somewhere//One Tree Or Another/Changing Days/Turn Back/Feel Free To Come Home/Find Your Own Way

R-540L - The Crystal Mansion - Crystal Mansion [4/72] Group from Mount Laurel, New Jersey. Drummer Rick Morley (Richard E. Moehrle) died in 1990. There Always Will Be More/Bad City Ways/I Love You/Satisfied/A Song Is Born//Somebody Oughta Turn Your Head Around/Boogieman/Let Me Get Straight Again/Peace For A Change/Earth People

R-541L - Wolfe - Wolfe [7/72] Ballad Of The Unloved/Bite It Deep/Love Song/Something In The Way She Moves/Funny Funny/Dead From The Head Down//Dancing In The Moonlight/Tale Of Two Cities/Us/Mama Lion/Time Is Money/Song With No Name

R-542L - Matrix - Matrix [10/72] Soon/I Wonder Where We're Going?/Fire And Rain/In Bed/Commercial Break/A Dream For The Longest Night//Open Up My Eyes/I Was Lonely (And They Laughed)/Window/Good Time Sally/Ten Miles Beyond

R-543L - Willie Remembers - Rare Earth [10/72] (11-72, #90) Good Time Sally/Every Now And Then We Get To Go On Down To Miami/Think Of The Children/Gotta Get Myself Back Home/Come With Your Lady//Would You Like To Come Along/We're Gonna Have A Good Time/I Couldn't Believe What Happened Last Night

R-544 - Puzzle - Puzzle [Unissued]

R-545L - Silent Warrior - Xit [4/73] We Live/Awakening/Birth/Reservation of Education//Color Nature Gone/Cement Prairie/Young Warrior/Anthem Of The American Indian

R-546L - Ma - Rare Earth [5/73] (6-73, #65) Ma//Big John Is My Name/Smiling Faces Sometimes/Hum Along And Dance/Come With Me

R-547 - Rare Earth Live in Chicago - Rare Earth [Unissued] Recorded at the Arie Crown Theatre in Chicago in 1974.

R6-548S1 - Back to Earth - Rare Earth [6/75] (7-75, #59) It Makes You Happy (But It Ain't Gonna Last Too Long)/Walking Schtick/Keeping Me Out Of The Storm/Delta Melody//Happy Song/Let Me Be Your Sunshine/Boogie With Me Children/City Life

R7-549R2 - Real Pretty - Pretty Things [2/76] (2-LP set) A reissue of RS-506 and RS-515 as one two-record set. S.F. Sorrow Is Born/Bracelets/She Says Good Morning/Private Sorrow/Balloon Burning/Death//Baron Saturday/The Journey/I See You/Well of Destiny/Trust/Old Man Going/Loneliest Person//Scene One: The Good Mr. Square She Was Tall She Was High/In The Square/The Letter/Rain/Miss Fay Regrets/Cries From The Midnight Circus//Grass/Sickle Clowns/She's A Lover/What's the Use/Parachute

R6-550S1 - Midnight Lady - Rare Earth [3/76] It's a Natural/Finger Lickin' Good/He Who Picks A Rose/Do It Right//Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone/Midnight Lady/Wine Women and Song

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    R-534L - Rare Earth In Concert - Rare Earth [12/71] (1-72, #29) (2-LP set in a pocket jacket designed like a backpack, with full size pull-out picture card) I Just Want To Celebrate (S)/Hey Big Brother (S)/Born To Wander (S)//Get Ready (S, 23:38)//What'd I Say (S)/Thoughts (S)//(I Know) I'm Losing You (S, 14:09)/Nice To Be With You (S)

The live version of Get Ready is bazonkers, and this LP can be picked up for dirt cheap.

• Mandatory.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    However, the Messengers album is definitely worth grabbing, and Brass Monkey has one REALLY dope track that makes it worth grabbing for cheap.
    Some of the best material on Rare Earth is stuff they licensed for import from UK labels, like the Pretty Things "S.F. Sorrow" and "Parachute" and the Love Scuplture LP.

Pretty sure I checked the Magic out and it was crap... cosign the Messengers, Pretty Things, Rare Earth... never heard POZ... looking over the whole discog there its pretty damn spotty...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    POZ, Brass Monkey, and Crystal Mansion are all good. and of course the pretty things lp's

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Pretty sure I checked the Magic out and it was crap... cosign the Messengers, Pretty Things, Rare Earth... never heard POZ... looking over the whole discog there its pretty damn spotty...

The Magic LP on Raer Earth is crap...their earlier private press on the Armadillo label is INSANE and

• (The Sounds Nice album has a) Yellow cover with a girl in front. Expect a mix of rock, pop, jazz, soul with strings on top.

In other words...elevator music? 'Cause from the looks of the US cover, Motown was aiming straight at the lounge crowd with that one (101 Strings, Mystic Moods Orchestra, etc.).

• Rare Earth was dope. If I'm not mistaken, they were the first (and only?) white group signed to Motown.

Not true. Motown had white acts in and out of the stable for years before Rare Earth turned up, and even as late as last year, they released an alt-country album (or at least I remember reading this somewhere).

I'm pretty sure the Rare Earth record label was a subsidiary of Motown, too.

It was. Rare Earth was Motown's attempt at white rock.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

RS-509 - Messengers - Messengers [8/69] Originally issued with die cut round top covers. May have been released with a standard cover. Louie Louie/The Letter/Leavin' Here/Do You Believe In Love/A Little Bit For Sandy/You Keep Running Away//I'll Move Heaven And Earth/Must We Always Live For Tomorrow/Nowhere To Run/Window Shopping/Gotta See Jane/Greyhound To Indiana

I saw this and passed on it, what price does it go for?

I saw this and passed on it, what price does it go for?

I think even the OG die-cut sleeve should be under $20

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Thanks i dont feel that bad now

The Magic LP on Raer Earth is crap...their earlier private press on the Armadillo label is INSANE and

And yes, the Messengers LP is not something one should drop major $$$ on, but the $12 I spent on mine was worth it, it's a pretty solid soul-rock LP.

(The Sounds Nice album has a) Yellow cover with a girl in front. Expect a mix of rock, pop, jazz, soul with strings on top.

In other words...elevator music? 'Cause from the looks of the US cover, Motown was aiming straight at the lounge crowd with that one (101 Strings, Mystic Moods Orchestra, etc.).

The US cover is definetely catering to the lounge set, and the music does have a certain cheesefactor. I can imagine it wouldn't be everybody's bag.

How does Mowest fit into the whole Motown subsidiary picture? What was the profile for this label, if any? I haven't owned many of their releases. Only Odyssey, The Crusaders "Hollywood" and that crappy Lodi poop come to mind.

How does Mowest fit into the whole Motown subsidiary picture? What was the profile for this label, if any? I haven't own many of their releases. Only Odyssey, The Crusaders "Hollywood" and that crappy Lodi poop come to mind.

There's also a crappy white pop record by Celebration, and the debut from Syreeta...

I can only imagine it was considered to be more 'progressive' than the typical Motown faire of the era...

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    "I Just Want To Celebrate" is my jam.

• How does Mowest fit into the whole Motown subsidiary picture? What was the profile for this label, if any? I haven't own many of their releases. Only Odyssey, The Crusaders "Hollywood" and that crappy Lodi poop come to mind.

There's also a crappy white pop record by Celebration, and the debut from Syreeta...

I can only imagine it was considered to be more 'progressive' than the typical Motown faire of the era...

I don't think Mowest was meant to be "progressive." That was Rare Earth's department.*** I believe the name was supposed to be a play on the fact that Motown had moved to the West Coast (Los Angeles) by then, and the artist roster was a mixed bag of artists, from FM rock bands to soul**** to has-beens like the Four Seasons and Lesley Gore.

the artist roster was a mixed bag of artists, from FM rock bands to soul

This is what I meant by "progressive"... far more varied than the signature "Motown Sound" as it was at that time

• the artist roster was a mixed bag of artists, from FM rock bands to soul

This is what I meant by "progressive"... far more varied than the signature "Motown Sound" as it was at that time

Ah, okay. I thought you meant like in the hippie/FM rock sense of the word (and Motown was definitely flirting with that crowd more than once).

Mowest's biggest record was Tom Clay's sound collage, "What The World Needs Now Is Love/Abraham, Martin & John." While a female chorus sings those two songs, Clay overdubbed sound effects of the Kennedy/King assassinations, riots, the Vietnam War, and an interview with a little girl (Q: "What is prejudice?" A: "I think it's when somebody's sick."). This was a hit in '71.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

And yes, the Messengers LP is not something one should drop major $$$ on, but the $12 I spent on mine was worth it, it's a pretty solid soul-rock LP.

the Messengers were actually the first white group on Motown, from what i've heard, it just took them a while to release the record... the version of "nowhere to run, nowhere to hide" on there is dope... i think i got my copy for 7 or 8 bucks, def. not a record people sweat, but if you like Rare Earth style blue eyed soul/rock, it's a great record...

the Messengers were actually the first white group on Motown, from what i've heard, it just took them a while to release the record... the version of "nowhere to run, nowhere to hide" on there is dope... i think i got my copy for 7 or 8 bucks, def. not a record people sweat, but if you like Rare Earth style blue eyed soul/rock, it's a great record...

The Messengers had a version of "California Soul" on 45 on the Soul imprint before the Rare Earth LP... and as others have said, I paid around $8-12 for that LP myself and it was worth it...

The Messengers had a version of "California Soul" on 45 on the Soul imprint before the Rare Earth LP... and as others have said, I paid around $8-12 for that LP myself and it was worth it...

The Underdogs 45 on V.I.P. has to predate all of this...it's at least 1966 if not '65, white garage rock cover of another early caucasian Motown act, Chris Clark's Love's Gone Bad b/w another cover of a female R&B hit, Esther Phillips' Mojo Hannah.

• the Messengers were actually the first white group on Motown, from what i've heard, it just took them a while to release the record...

Not true. A vocal group called the Valadiers were on Motown in the early sixties, releasing the original "Greetings (This Is Uncle Sam)" that the Monitors later had a hit with. Somewhere around 1964, Motown had a country & western sub-label (Melody) with a Caucasian roster.

• Get Ready is one helluva session, although I gotta admit that I get a bit peeved about half-way through the drum solo when the drummer loses the rhythm, BUT - then he gets that schitt back on track and eases the hell into that steady rocking beat before the rest of the Raer come back in. You can't help getting

• anyone have the WOLFE self titled? been a white whale of mine.

brass monkey - breaks

toe fat - breaks

toe fat 2 - breaks

crystal mansion - breaks

impact of brass - breaks

rustix - breaks

rare earth MA - breaks

keef james - breaks

howl the good - i think breaks i remember it being good

god squad - killer funky christian stuff

sounds nice - killer loungy funk

peace, stein. . .

• S-513 - Come on People - Rustix [7/70] Mississippi Woman/Do Right Woman-Do Right Man/Hey Mose/Dress Colored Lavender Blue//Come On People/Billie's Gone/Hard To Handle/Maple Shade Country Day/Cry Another Day Away/Finale: Happy Trails

this album is ill. check for their version of "Hard to handle". baaaaad.

G