Favorite Prince Covers

2»

Comments

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

No on both accounts...I'm always talking about this nebulous wedding that I'm going to have in a few years, fiancee or not.

Are you talking about some Carrie-marries-herself-to-get-a-her-fancy-pumps-replaced-via-wedding-registry?

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    whats up with Cristal Waters cover of "uptown" is that the same "100 percent pure love" Christal Waters? i'd like to hear that, trying to get my limewire on right now. I once heard a nice house remix of "uptown" anyone got any links to any nice prince house remixes?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Anyway, I confess complete ignorance of "Crystal Ball"....will my New Power Generation card now be revoked(at least the for the Soulstrut Special Friend East Coast Prince-Appreciation Chapter)?

Nah. As you probably know, the name applied to the project that was supposed to be a 3LP set. That was scrapped and elemenets eventually became Sign 'O' The Times[/b]. About 10 years later, Prince decided to release a compilation of unreleased stuff, and revived the Crystal Ball[/b] name. It has a lot of great stuff, and yet that barely touches the surface of what he has. It came out in a number of ways, I have the (checking...) 4CD version, with the 4th CD being The Truth[/b] album.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

No on both accounts...I'm always talking about this nebulous wedding that I'm going to have in a few years, fiancee or not.

Are you talking about some Carrie-marries-herself-to-get-a-her-fancy-pumps-replaced-via-wedding-registry?

Is this a Sex in the City reference? I must apologize; I've been living without a television for the last three and a half years because of my fascist boyfriend.

The wedding thing is more of a response to all of the people I know who are getting married as of late; I'm kind of compiling a Viceland-like list of do's and don'ts for whenever I actually tie the knot.

Didn't you just get hitched recently?

My mind isn't working right now, had to cheat and go to The Covers Project:
    http://coversproject.com/artist/prince

Wait, Mr. "What's New Pussycat?" did a cover or "Kiss?" I think this game is over.

It was a hit in England, teaming him up with Art Of Noise.

It was a comeback left-field MTV hit in the US too!

Well, I guess to me, Art Of Noise went down the tubes after ZTT, and gradually got worse as they eased their way to Below The Waste[/b]. It was a hit here too, but much bigger in the UK.

(In truth, I'm probably in denial that that song was ever made).

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Yes, S&tC reference.

Marriage? Not yet. Shit, I've been single since I was born -- although I have several oral contracts with multiple ladies stating "if we're still single by the time we're 40...." If things stay the same, I'll have to move to Utah.

I can't believe I forgot this, and seriously can't believe you never heard it. Tom Jones ENCORES with "Kiss" and "Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny"can't wash Prince's Drawers" Kravitz.

"Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Tom Jones was too much, although Lenny Kravitz created an all new instrumental for Jones to sing over.

And back to Jones, that album produced by Trevor Horn... that was terrible. Probably would have worked better with anyone else on vocals.

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    if anyone wants to hear that Chrystal Waters "Uptown" cover i just downloaded it:

http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1XFATIQKTHY0O29KCCLPS6I5JT

i'm enjoying it more than i should admit at this place.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Mr Too Damn Good by Gerald Levert

Ha! I ain't gon' be pressin' you or stressin' you to make love...This reminds me that I need to call Faux_Rillz[/b].

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My guilty pleasure is "I FEEL FOR YOU" done by Rebbie Jackson off of the album with Centipede.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    I was listening to Cyndi Lauper's version of "When You Were Mine" (she didn't change the words, either! ) and was wondering what Prince cover songs people like...My favorites:

I Feel For You - Chaka Khan
    Beautiful Ones - Mariah Carey and Sisqo

I'm not crazy about "Nothing Compares 2 U," but everyone else seems to love it.

I think Mitch Ryder did a cover of ''When You Were Mine' a while back...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I was listening to Cyndi Lauper's version of "When You Were Mine" (she didn't change the words, either! ) and was wondering what Prince cover songs people like...My favorites:

Would that be on his greatest hits with "Little Latin Lupe Lu"?

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    Limp Bizkit's version of "1999", yo!

Does they really do this? That's like, sacrilege.

the fact they do anything at all is sacrilege, shits so tired, puttin' me to sleep...

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    there was an "darling nikki" by these guys

I just noticed this...RAJ and Iron Monkey are the Foo Fighters? What happened to Dave Grohl?

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

Would that be on his greatest hits with "Little Latin Lupe Lu"?

Errrmmmm....just a little bit later than that...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i love Meli'sa Morgan's "Do Me Baby"

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    And yes, he sounds as much as he looks like Prince. Anyone ever come across this?

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    Don't mean to hijack but does anyone have sum good covers that prince did? I always hear about him doing james brown covers and everything but all ive heard is his version of "la la means i luv u"

• BigNachoBigNacho 47 Posts
    drunk horse does a rockin' cover of "bambi"

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The Herbie Hancock version of "Thieves In The Temple" is boring Fuzak. I love Herbie but really, it's sounds straight out of the dentist's office. There's some good stuff on that record, but that song isn't one of them.

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
    Herbie Hancock has a jazz version of "Thieves in the Temple" f/ John Scofield that's decent. All time I would say Me'lisa Morgan"Do Me Baby".

Aw c'mon, that is my shit right there, with one of the sexiest videos ever made. EVER.

Okay, MUSIC videos.

As far as clones, this guy takes it. A few good songs along the way, though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

although it's hard to call him anything but a clone after looking at that link, Andre Cymone is probably closer to being Prince's musical "partner"(maybehomo) than anyone else connected with the notorious loner...they were school friends, made early music together, and Andre was one of the only truly collaborative members of the "revolution" as far as I can remember reading way back in the 80's...he's the one in the 1999 video w/tha dope japanese headband, who gets a fake (lipsynching Prince's vocals) vocal turn!

although it's hard to call him anything but a clone after looking at that link, Andre Cymone is probably closer to being Prince's musical "partner"(maybehomo) than anyone else connected with the notorious loner...they were school friends, made early music together, and Andre was one of the only truly collaborative members of the "revolution" as far as I can remember reading way back in the 80's...he's the one in the 1999 video w/tha dope japanese headband, who gets a fake (lipsynching Prince's vocals) vocal turn!

Actually that would be Dez Deckerson. Andre Cymone had left the band a year or two before 1999[/b]. The bassist in those videos (1999, Little Red Corvette, Automatic, Delirious, Let's Pretend We're Married) was Brown Mark.

The vocal in the song, however, was Dez's.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Actually that would be Dez Deckerson. Andre Cymone had left the band a year or two before 1999[/b]. The bassist in those videos (1999, Little Red Corvette, Automatic, Delirious, Let's Pretend We're Married) was Brown Mark.

The vocal in the song, however, was Dez's.

Consider me schooled[/b], thanks.
    That's why I added the part about remembering my 80's reading...I was a big fan back then, and read a cheapo exploit-bio...maybe it was written by Andre's brother or something, but he seriously played up Andre as a part of Prince's early work...I really need to start only posting things I remember for sure, though, instead of private mind garden fabrications...the game is too tight here on SS!

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    My guilty pleasure is "I FEEL FOR YOU" done by Rebbie Jackson off of the album with Centipede.

i was about to mention this...what a weird record. a michael j. sister record from 1984...michael produced and wrote the title track which isn't too bad...and then there's the cover of "i feel for you" released not too long after Chaka totally owned that track...you can't top the chaka version. but at least rebbie tried. but why even try after Chaka Khan?

Consider me schooled[/b], thanks.
    That's why I added the part about remembering my 80's reading...I was a big fan back then, and read a cheapo exploit-bio...maybe it was written by Andre's brother or something, but he seriously played up Andre as a part of Prince's early work...I really need to start only posting things I remember for sure, though, instead of private mind garden fabrications...the game is too tight here on SS!

Andre was definitely an essential part of Prince's early work, including the group they were all in before Prince was signed.

However, when Andre did leave, a lot of his own stuff sounded like Prince's first three albums. The one song where he stands out happens to be, oddly enough, a song written by Prince, which was "The Dance Electric". I still remember when he (Andre) and his group performed this on American Bandstand, and the strength of that song could not be contained in that TV studio, the lip-synched performance was pretty weak. He then came back and did another song and, again, it sounded like old Prince.

If I remember correctly, Prince originally had wanted to record "The Dance Electric" for himself, and the mix you hear on the album and 12" is essentially the instrumental, complete with Wendy & Lisa doing background, and Prince's "Purple Rain" guitar heard throughout the song. There is an early mix of the song with Prince on vocals lurking around on bootlegs.

What makes it even more interesting is that "The Dance Electric" sounds nothing like the Purple Rain[/b] stuff, or anything which would end up on Around The World In A Day[/b], or Sheila E's first album. It sticks out because it is different from everything.

Of course Andre Cymone did eventually move on to work with (and marry) Jody Watley, and it IS Andre that you see in the video for "Some Kind Of Lover" (and if I remember right, "Everything").