eBay Advice: Leaving Negative feedback

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
both me and somebody else on here (who can chime in if he wants) have gotten screwed by the same seller on ebay in regards to condition of records. all of the 12"s that he sold were described as NEAR MINT. some of the records we got were fine, but others had cue stickers and/or sticker residue on the wax and multiple scratches, and some deep scratches. for prices where the condition should matter too.also the dude shipped the records wrapped in a PAPER GROCERY BAG. with no cardboard or anything like that. he overcharged us both for shipping, and when we complained he gave us the difference.but here's the shit that pisses me off: when we complained (independently) about the condition of the records, he said "the description said NEAR MINT not MINT. if you were concerned about the condition you should have asked about it before bidding". and i don't need to explain how that is on some complete bullshit.so anyways, for some reason the dude has high positive feedback. he definitely needs negative feedback with comments on his lack of grading knowledge so that people know. but i also don't want to get retaliatory negative feedbacks, and this dude seems like the type that would do that.so after that long-winded setup, the question is, what is the surefire to leave negative feedback so that you know you won't get negatives in retaliation? (we both paid immediately by the way) is there a last minute negative feedback i can leave so that its too late for him to leave some?and if this seller is on here, i'm happy to openly discuss you're bullshit grading. or you can pm me.

Comments

• what is the surefire to leave negative feedback so that you know you won't get negatives in retaliation? (we both paid immediately by the way) is there a last minute negative feedback i can leave so that its too late for him to leave some?

I don't think it is another way, unfortunatly. I always pay at time and still alot of dealers (often with high feedback rates) wait until I give the feedback first. Then they can reply! What the fuck is that!? I had the payment in time and some bullshitdealer doesn't know shit about grading records. The sad thing is that I can't afford any negative feedback at this stage of my ebay-career, so I can't really do anything about it..

• I was led to believe that near mint was synonymous for mint. The only way it could be truly mint is if it was never opened. NM would be opened but perfect, although some records were never sealed.

To avoid these problems I try to grade down a bit.

Never left or received negative feedback so I can't help you there.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I was led to believe that near mint was synonymous for mint. The only way it could be truly mint is if it was never opened. NM would be opened but perfect, although some records were never sealed.

Right

The nicest a record can be after leaving the rack...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    You can leave negative feedback on or around the 90th day (three months after the auction's close). If he's a high-volume seller, odds are in your favor that he won't have time to retaliate. I'm not sure what the exact time is that eBay wipes the auctions, if there IS a uniform time.

NOW YOU MUST TELL US HIS USERNAME.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    You can leave negative feedback on or around the 90th day (three months after the auction's close). If he's a high-volume seller, odds are in your favor that he won't have time to retaliate. I'm not sure what the exact time is that eBay wipes the auctions, if there IS a uniform time.

that's all you had to say homie.

this is for the good of soulstrut readers who are ebay buyers.

ebay id: freshwax

i'm calling you out for shit-ass and deceptive grading, and not to mention horrible packaging, and to boot no sympathy as a seller to do anything other than refund for your overcharging of shipping.

if you are reading this then like i said i'm happy to have a discussion with you about what "NEAR MINT" means and record seller ethics.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Hey, that's ME.

(kidding.)

Hey, that's ME.

(kidding.)

i was ready to go at it for a second!

• You can leave negative feedback on or around the 90th day (three months after the auction's close). If he's a high-volume seller, odds are in your favor that he won't have time to retaliate. I'm not sure what the exact time is that eBay wipes the auctions, if there IS a uniform time.

it's three months to the day at midnight though. i thought it ended three months exactly to the hour the auction ended and ended up not being able to give someone a negative that deserved it. like if you won the record on november 1st at 7:10 pm it would expire on february 1st at midnight pacific time.

• People take this feedback stuff too seriously...if he deserves neg, then leave it and say why. If he leaves retaliatory feedback then respond to it telling people it's retaliatory. I would bid on items with a seller who has retaliatory negs, but would second guess buying from a dude who has multiple complaints about grading, packing, etc. All of us know the deal when it comes to this and most other buyers are smart enough to read the feedbacks too. Even the best sellers/buyers get negs from terds with no class. Stop living in fear and call the guy on his shit...you'll be saving a lot of people the same grief you've had to deal with.

Alternative: Leave him a neutral with your complaints. Then, unless he's a total asshole, his retaliatory feedback will probably also be neutral (which doesn't hurt your feedback percentages).

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    If someone has 300 positive and 2 negative feedbacks, I generally don't even consider the negatives. Especially since you can't "jump to" the negative, so if you want to read it to see if it says "can't grade records for shit" you have to click through 12 pages. I mention this mostly to say don't worry so much about him leaving it back on you, since you can reply to it on your feedback page and say "he's just getting me back for calling him out on shady dealings" or whatever.

edit: dude above pretty much said the same thing as me at the same time.

co-sign on neutrals, too - I've done those a couple of times, said "good deal, graded well but waited two weeks to ship" or whatever. Usually only to people who don't respond to an e-mail saying "why did it take you two weeks to ship this?"

Stop living in fear and call the guy on his shit...you'll be saving a lot of people the same grief you've had to deal with.

good call. negatives will be left.

• all of the 12"s that he sold were described as NEAR MINT. some of the records we got were fine, but others had cue stickers and/or sticker residue on the wax and multiple scratches, and some deep scratches. for prices where the condition should matter too.

also the dude shipped the records wrapped in a PAPER GROCERY BAG. with no cardboard or anything like that. he overcharged us both for shipping,

i bought a couple of things from dude a while back as well, my experience with him was just like described above. hadn't left or thought about feedback yet, but negative is definitely not out of the question.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    If someone has 300 positive and 2 negative feedbacks, I generally don't even consider the negatives. Especially since you can't "jump to" the negative, so if you want to read it to see if it says "can't grade records for shit" you have to click through 12 pages. I mention this mostly to say don't worry so much about him leaving it back on you, since you can reply to it on your feedback page and say "he's just getting me back for calling him out on shady dealings" or whatever.

See, this is the reverse of the situation... the seller has MANNY good feedbacks and a couple bad ones... meanwhile if snag or I was to take a hit, it would have a HUGE impact on our ratings cuz our feedback is very small...

See, this is the reverse of the situation... the seller has MANNY good feedbacks and a couple bad ones... meanwhile if snag or I was to take a hit, it would have a HUGE impact on our ratings cuz our feedback is very small...

that's true, but it would almost be worth it to me if at least three of us on here left him negative feedback for all the shitty transactions that have been made.

• I'm not going to worry about getting a negative if I give one. If I do get one I'll post a response and defend myself. Of course I'm not a seller so it may differ.