el michaels affair and wu tang

mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
14 December 2005 21:01 Posted by TOBESListen to the Wu-Tang Clan's recent live performance (backed by a live band) on XM Satellite Radio here. (mp3). from: http://www.spinemagazine.com/
That live band is of course the mighty El Michaels Affair of Truth & Soul / Daptone fame! Just started listening, sounds great so far.

Comments

• 14 December 2005 21:01 Posted by TOBES

Listen to the Wu-Tang Clan's recent live performance (backed by a live band) on XM Satellite Radio here. (mp3).

That live band is of course the mighty El Michaels Affair of Truth & Soul / Daptone fame! Just started listening, sounds great so far.

Yeah they've done a few live shows, and Raekwon has come by the studio. Maybe some records or a tour in the works. El Michaels is some of the the people from the Mighty Imperials, who's album finally got proper release via daptone this year, but was recorded during the Desco days. The guys were in high school at the time. Truth and Soul has taken over Soul Fire and are doing some quality schlitz, they gotta nice semi-new studio in billyburg. Jeff Silverman who does some production/drumming is a super heavyweight 45 mofo, i.e. NOT a lil' dude. But he isn't that tall, which confirms someone's theory.

$??

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    That's El Michels, he's slightly French

Check www.galacticfractures.com for a couple of the Wu previews. Haute.

• swopeswope 15 Posts
    note...the El Michels LP was recorded during the Soul Fire days, and has been released on Truth & Soul.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I just spoke with the Dap kings manager last night. He played on the El Michels record and he said that El Michel's record was going to be released on Daptone and then weirdness ensued. In fact on the back of early copies of Naturally it says that El Michels is going to be the next daptone release. If I remember correctly, I think he said that Sounding was recorded at the Daptone studios. BTW Sharon Jones was smokin here last night.

• swopeswope 15 Posts
    I just spoke with the Dap kings manager last night. He played on the El Michels record and he said that El Michel's record was going to be released on Daptone and then weirdness ensued. In fact on the back of early copies of Naturally it says that El Michels is going to be the next daptone release. If I remember correctly, I think he said that Sounding was recorded at the Daptone studios. BTW Sharon Jones was smokin here last night.

Leon (El Michels) originally recorded the album in his bedroom at his parents aptartment while we were working at Soul Fire Records. It was going to be released on Soul Fire (if you remember, the first El Michels release was the Soul Fire 12" 'Easy Access'... which was recorded at the old Soul Fire studio), but Phillip folded the label. There was a brief minute when Daptone was trying to put the album out (hence the Misty/Daptone El Michels 45), but Leon and I started up Truth & Soul to release our own shit. Alex, the manager of the Dap Kings, did play strings on a few tracks. He also plays on some of the new Expressions releases we've been putting out.

• I remember a lot of those songs were available on the soul fire website right after it went down. good stuff. I didn't know if it would ever be released.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

anyone have a repost of the wu xm recording? I have been ITCHING for that!!!!

-pj