CHAPELLE's back

2»

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Are you sure about this. I've worked on 5 different shows over the last 11 months all of which only had a 2 person wiriting team, one paid writer, or the executive producer handling the writing duties.

sorry, i should've been more specific - sketch comedy shows usually have more than two writers and often accept submissions from outside the core of their writing staff. which makes sense when you consider the sheer number of concepts that need to be developed for just one episode. often the cast contributes sketch ideas and characters, but chappelle was the cast, aside from the charlie murphy and paul mooney bits

Not trying to come down on dude too much, but making excuses for him is not really neccasary IMO.

i'm not making excuses, i'm rebutting the mack and rootless' arguement that what he was doing was no more stressful than making any other tv show.

• i used to do stand-up, first alone, and then as a duo with one of my closest freinds. Once we had a small measure of success (performing in the melbourne comedy festival in between crazy good comics) the presure, both personal AND professional (whether it is real or imagined) is crazy. Its hard to be consistantly funny. And it eats at your self worth when your not. Comedy is RAW because the best comedy comes from the deep recesses of your personality. I remember thinking how much it helped sharing the experience with a freind.

I try to imagine how that would be on my own, and throw in the INSANE pressure of stardom on top of that, and i wonder if i could deal.

I, for one, support his decision 100%

• i used to do stand-up, first alone, and then as a duo with one of my closest freinds. Once we had a small measure of success (performing in the melbourne comedy festival in between crazy good comics) the presure, both personal AND professional (whether it is real or imagined) is crazy. Its hard to be consistantly funny. And it eats at your self worth when your not. Comedy is RAW because the best comedy comes from the deep recesses of your personality. I remember thinking how much it helped sharing the experience with a freind.

I try to imagine how that would be on my own, and throw in the INSANE pressure of stardom on top of that, and i wonder if i could deal.

have any video or audio of your act? id like to hear that...stand up takes a lot of balls.

have any video or audio of your act? id like to hear that...stand up takes a lot of balls.

we were in a doco about "youth comics" (i was 17 at the time) i'll see if i can find someone to digitize.

I could seriously barely hold the mic for shaking, walking out to 2000 faces in silence is no joke.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    1) I'm kind of bugging out that BreakSelf is Gillian Anderson's brother. Yo Break: what's up with the rumors of another X-Files movie? Drop that knowledge!

2) I think it's fine is people want to put Dave on blast and what not...but bottomline, I don't quite get this sense of entitlement that people are exhibiting...as if Chapelle somehow OWED us a Season 3 and was wack for bailing. Shit, dude got paid like a MFer, went back to doing what he loved (stand-up) and leaves a nation crying over it. That seems pretty big baller to me.

Don't knock the hustle, hatters.

• 1) I'm kind of bugging out that BreakSelf is Gillian Anderson's brother. Yo Break: what's up with the rumors of another X-Files movie? Drop that knowledge!

yeah i typed that then thought better of it - esspecially with all the talk of crazed fans,

having said that, im spineless enough to let someone else ask/comment and then jump on the bandwagon

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    1) I'm kind of bugging out that BreakSelf is Gillian Anderson's brother. Yo Break: what's up with the rumors of another X-Files movie? Drop that knowledge!

To be honest, I'm not even sure anymore. Rumors about it have been flying for the past few years, and in late 2004 it looked like it was definitely going to happen. Not so sure now. Currently she's starring as Lady Dedlock in a TV adaptation of Dickens' Bleak House on the BBC. Been getting pretty remarkable reviews, and should be airing stateside in the next few months. Probably worth checking out if you can handle period pieces.

To be honest, I'm not even sure anymore. Rumors about it have been flying for the past few years, and in late 2004 it looked like it was definitely going to happen. Not so sure now. Currently she's starring as Lady Dedlock in a TV adaptation of Dicken's Bleak House on the bBC. Been getting pretty remarkable reviews, and should be airing stateside in the next few months. Probably worth checking out if you can handle period pieces.

Non-gossip question: how was that for you to see this all unfold? I mean, I don't need to be the one to point this out but during its tenure, X-Files was THE SHIT, cult heads out the wazoo. Were you like, "wow, this shit is crazy?"

My sister in law is an actress but nowhere near as famous and it's sometimes weird to be flipping on TV and see her pop up here and there. Then I hang with her and watch her play with my daughter and it's sometimes hard to put the two personas together into the same person.

To be honest, I'm not even sure anymore. Rumors about it have been flying for the past few years, and in late 2004 it looked like it was definitely going to happen. Not so sure now. Currently she's starring as Lady Dedlock in a TV adaptation of Dicken's Bleak House on the bBC. Been getting pretty remarkable reviews, and should be airing stateside in the next few months. Probably worth checking out if you can handle period pieces.

Non-gossip question: how was that for you to see this all unfold? I mean, I don't need to be the one to point this out but during its tenure, X-Files was THE SHIT, cult heads out the wazoo. Were you like, "wow, this shit is crazy?"

My sister in law is an actress but nowhere near as famous and it's sometimes weird to be flipping on TV and see her pop up here and there. Then I hang with her and watch her play with my daughter and it's sometimes hard to put the two personas together into the same person.

I was like 12 years old when the show started so I really didn't have any perspective. It was just kind of cool to see my sis on TV. By the time I was old enough to make sense of it all, her fame was so normalized for me that nothing really changed. Going to visit her on the set and hanging out with David Duchovny never meant much more to me as a 15-year-old than spring break. That said, there have definitely been some crazy moments. Going to the premier of the Movie when I was 16 was totally mind blowing. The after party was just NUTS, with so many famous people walking around it never even occurred to me to be star struck. Some super crazy/scary fan stories as well.

There have been times as well that her success has really pissed me off. Trying to build a meaningful relationship with a sibling 12 years older than you, and in the spotlight of American pop cult-ture felt impossible at times. It wasn't until I was about 20 (four years ago) that we really started to connect. Sadly it was some serious problems at home (divorce, parental insolvency etc.) that catalized the process. Now we have a blast hanging out, and I'm not mad at all about going out with her in London and walking straight into clubs past lines of people to a table that magically appears like Goodfellas (ha). After a few vodka-tonics I usually put her in a headlock and make her promise to introduce me to Alba. Hasn't worked yet, but I'll be out there in January. Fingers crossed and all.

sorry for babbling...

After a few vodka-tonics I usually put her in a headlock and make her promise to introduce me to Alba.

For real though, 12 years is a pretty big difference in age so I can appreciate the sense of distance.

After a few vodka-tonics I usually put her in a headlock and make her promise to introduce me to Alba.

Hasn't worked yet....

keep y'all posted though.