cell phone related- Sidekick,Treo,Blackberry,etc..

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I really dont need one..but I just wanted one of these phones. I lost my celly cell last night and decided to go ahead and buy another one off of Ebay. I won an auction for a color Sidekick/Hiptop 1(color). I dont know too much about them..and I know this is an older one(w/ the II's having been out for a while). Are the original color Hiptops totally outdated, technically speaking? Before I send $71 off for a phone I know little about, I want to make sure I will actually be able to use it. Anyone use this phone? pros? cons? I have a Suncom plan already(unlimited min/long distance w/ two phones for around $100/mo.) and hope I can just buy a new sim card,pop it in the phone and call up Suncom w/ the new info and everything be straight...is that how it works? I know that plan would only be using it strictly for phone calls(no www,etc). If I wanted to add the www option, do I just "upgrade" my plan or something? I would love to have a Treo or that new LG joint..but they are way too $$$high$$$ for me.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Make sure you pick up the hottest new add on for your cell!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Being on a GSM network. You'll just need to get a new sim card from ur provider and pop it in.

• I don't know much about cell phones in the states... as there are different models and versions available up here in Canada.

I just got this phone:

Motorola E815

It takes decent photos, really shitty video, but plays mp3s like a walkman and can also use them as ringtones. I'm currently rocking the 24 CTU ringtone, but I'm looking forward to creating some custom ones myself. I can basically upload any mp3 to the phone via bluetooth and use that as a ring. I never used to get into the whole ringtones bullshit... but the idea of having ANYTHING I want is kinda dope.

ringtoneraer

• -

• I don't know much about cell phones in the states... as there are different models and versions available up here in Canada.

I just got this phone:

Motorola E815

It takes decent photos, really shitty video, but plays mp3s like a walkman and can also use them as ringtones. I'm currently rocking the 24 CTU ringtone, but I'm looking forward to creating some custom ones myself. I can basically upload any mp3 to the phone via bluetooth and use that as a ring. I never used to get into the whole ringtones bullshit... but the idea of having ANYTHING I want is kinda dope.

ringtoneraer

Yo, how easy it to download mp3's as ringtones? Is there a special program I need?

• no proud(or not so proud) owners of Sidekicks?

I just got this phone:

Motorola E815

ringtoneraer

Yo, how easy it to download mp3's as ringtones? Is there a special program I need?

There's a few things your phone has to be able to do.

#1 - be able to play mp3s as ringtones. sometimes called "TrueTones"

#2 - be able to transfer mp3s SOMEHOW.

#3 - have enough storage to hold them and alsl limited by software/provider hacks/tweaks that prevent phones from getting any mp3s unless it's a pay-per-download one from them. Bell (my provider up here, doesn't do this, but verizon does it to the same motorola handset on their network.

There are a few ways to transfer... depending on the phone. Mine is easy because it's designed to be an mp3 player as well. So I can just transfer files using wireless bluetooth connections. I don't have bluetooth at home, but a girl I work with and hang with a lot has an iBook with bluetooth built in, so I just use her setup to transfer files. There are other ways for phones not equiped with bluetooth, sometimes needing a cable from the manufacturer, or sometimes just tricking the phone by emailing the mp3 as an attachment to the phone's text messaging. You'll have to look up your own phone online and see. Google it and you'll find some boards dedicated to hacking phones and working around provider locked features.

I should start a custom ringtone trading thread... lol