Predict / Invent The Next Music Genre

El_MezcalitoEl_Mezcalito 312 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
-Remember when Jazz was new? Negro musical tradition mixed with European instruments mixed with Mardi Gras mixed with titties dipped in alcohol.-Remember when hip hop was new? It formed out of beat breaks and party MC's and Jamaican influences (long story short). They said it would never last.-Remember when Reggaeton was new? A mix of dancehall, fruityloops, rap, and Spanish garbage. They said it was just a fad.Whats the next Musical genre? somebody predict accurately please cuz I wanna get in on it early.Could it be ....a) grimeb) Bmore club (you know you like it bitches. regional bias? I just saw it in SF)c) bhangradelicd) Mongolian throat / R&B hybride) klezmer / dancehall hybridplease predict or invent the next musical genre. Hybrids are acceptable

Comments

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Cuntry

• pink noise.

thats the new shit.

great for the ears.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I don't know about the rest of the world but I'm on my way to "andean folk" nirvana. Respect the quena.

• Cmon people. I'm half serious here. lets invent a genre and post the beats that will make it happen

• edubedub 715 Posts
    will a "genre" label really mean anything if it was just invented?... if there's only one song that fits the description, how can you justify another song belonging to the same genre?

seems to me you need a more detailed description of the defining characteristics of said genre, more than simply the name.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    lets invent a genre

it would be much easier finding a cab driver who ran coke for Supreme,went to jail for N.O.R.E and bought a BMW from A.Z.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    mashups

• mashups

extraregional slang

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    rural minimal synth psych moves

• yeah... thats why it would probably have to be a hybrid. and I guess the name would have to be accompanied by a description.

Or you could just describe it and then come up with the name later. Like if you said "arab / crunk" it would sound like Timbaland, with his own genre.

Or whatever, don't invent, predict - what trends do you see right now, whats next? you think grime could blow up here? Can Baltimore club go national?

<s>mashups </s>

extraregional slang

ugh

I actually think this new form of glitch-minimalist-hop (whisper song, play, D4L, etc) will mutate into something new... anyone what to coin a name for this stuff?

minihop?

glop?

tech hop? LOL

lol,

M

grime could blow up here? Can Baltimore club go national?

no and no

see:

dizzee rascal's first two album sales

baltimore house not being played outside of hipster establishments and baltimore

...unless somebody like Puffy/Jay-Z, etc puts this stuff on...

new styles will neva finna blow!

• lets invent a genre

it would be much easier finding a cab driver who ran coke for Supreme,went to jail for N.O.R.E and bought a BMW from A.Z.

yeah its a crazy story. if it was a boring cab driver, I wouldn't have told yall about it.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    i think it's easier to think of emergent technologies, cheap music instruments/tools, misuses/new uses of existing gear, and distribution vehicles... those things tend to spawn new styles and approaches.

iPods are omnipresent
    so are computers
    so are cell phones
    things like mics/cameras/input devices are everywhere, and cheap.
    cheaper, easier to use handheld recording devices are becoming a reality.

surveillance music? (ala Scanner?)
    field recorded raers?
    cell phone beat making programs?
    unintential mixes? anti-mixes? software made for iPods that generates music on the fly from onboard mp3s?

.. ok thats enough for now

• EMU RAP

• grime could blow up here? Can Baltimore club go national?

no and no

see:

dizzee rascal's first two album sales
    baltimore house not being played outside of hipster establishments and baltimore

...unless somebody like Puffy/Jay-Z, etc puts this stuff on...

new styles will neva finna blow!

Def Jam just signed Lady Sovereign. So... Jay is putting on grime, although I heard they're gonna put her with non-UK producers

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    THAT PICTURE IS TOO BIG!!

The next musical wave will be to ressurect the actual trends of the 90s, like grunge and the various "electronicas". "Nevermind" came out in 1991 - just about 15 years ago, so it's game. We've simply run out of retro - the 70s and the 80s are used up and blurred together, what with the Strokes and the Darkness and LCD Soundsystem and all that, and we need something different before we can go back to the 70s again, and that's all that's left.

The other option is that we'll go back to disco, ala Madonna.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    What about the J Dilla/Sa-Ra/Madlib/Dudley Perkins/Platinum Pied Pipers/Some of Outkasts stuff/Hearin' Aid/Up Hygh thing? That sort of feels like a genre, but nobodys tagged it yet. Probably a good thing.

yah I think there is a hipster band out there that will resurrect the ghost of cobain and vedder lol, it will be ultra scary

ugh no disco

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    mashups

extraregional slang

ugh

I actually think this new form of glitch-minimalist-hop (whisper song, play, D4L, etc) will mutate into something new... anyone what to coin a name for this stuff?

minihop?
    glop?
    tech hop? LOL

lol,
    M

Intimate Club

• stuff that sounds like emf and jesus jones is the future

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I predict a rave culture revival. PLUR.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    The weird thing is, Reggaeton and Baile Funk got media hype in Sweden about the same time, a year or so ago. Now, Baile Funk is still only known to a few hipsters whereas you can't do a gig without someone coming up to you asking for some Reggaeton. I still think very little of it is any good. But I went to a Mr Catra show in Copenhagen this summer, it was fucking amazing. His DJ was playing all sorts of Baile Funk stuff that I've never heard before along with Push it and Wild thing and that stuff, so you sort of understood how they invented the style.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Instead of bringing back Acid Jazz, can someone kick start a JaHcid genre for me?

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    Mongolian throat / R&B hybride

Duderonomy

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    You gotta get with these new styles:

Ambient blipcore 
    Prog-Dub-Noise-Thump-Splat
    Country-soca snap trance
    That one that doesn't have a name yet, basically just retired metalworkers chanting over household appliance beats.

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    The Boogie Monsters crew in Chicago + Austin Boogie Crew + others (Omega Supreme, PPU etc.) have been bringing the 80's funk/boogie/whatchamacallit for a minute.

And now Bruno Mars recently put out some boogie-type shit.

Is Jheri curl soul slowly penetratin' (oh myyyy) the mainstream? 

• There's a whole load of new sounds since this thread came out 11 years ago but I would say The Weeknd's atmospheric and minimal soul informed by Ethiopian crooners has changed the entire landscape of production and vocals. He definitely wears his influences on his sleeve - more blatantly since he's hit commercial success - but people like Britney Spears aren't emulating Prince and Tilahun Gessesse, they're looking at The Weeknd.

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    Multitasking. Singing while fighting a fire; rapping while playing basketball; drumming with one hand and painting with the other. All at professional levels. This is how we forge next level creativity. Steph Curry-level mental+physical strength training.

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    My buddy is a trump tea party guy. He has different facts about everything then me. The "news" that I read about he has likely never heard about and visa versa. If there was a corresponding music genre then the separation would be complete. 

It's not yet defined how to make sure you don't like the same music as "Mike Obama"  (my buddy informed me that Mrs Obama may actually be a man). 
    Political party specific music genres are sorely needed this year.