Finding Cool Isht In Records

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
...no, I'm not talking about the long-forgotten dimebag pressed between the folds of a Led Zeppelin IV gatefold (although those are cool, too!) - I'm speaking of the unexpected inserts and posters, tripped-out lyric sheets, etc that appear inside of used records. It usually seems to take me months or even years to notice the stuff. It also seems to happen more often or at least be more surprising with fifty-cent records, like the copy of Kantner/Slick's "Sunfighter" (nohippie) I got at a thrift this weekend...an ok record, but this 8"x8" full-color lyric booklet that just dropped out of it is awesome. I also recently found a cool LP sized insert photo of Lamont Dozier in my dollar copy of "Out Here On My Own" that I stuck up over my tables, and a huge 8 LP-sized panel poster of Rare Earth inside their "Ma" LP, which has hilarious huge images of each dude doing their solos...radd... Those are just recent ones, I could think of others, but I wanna know some shit y'all found...

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Well I must say finding a big bud that I must have dropped really was the coolest.

But I guess second goes to pulling out the record and the inner sleeve has a big stamp the says "Property of such and such church library, not responsible for the content of this book/recording".

One time a dude sold me a bunch of records and said if I found any money in them to give it back. Yea right!!! I guess he would sometimes shove his pay in the record sleeve after a DJ gig.

Otherwise it's the stuff you are talking about. Getting a promo with glossy 8x10s and all that.

A Mowtown insert with all this crazy Jackson 5 stuff they used to sell to rabid girls.

Delite Records insert with "funky fresh" girls modeling Kool and the Gang t-shirts.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Delite Records insert with "funky fresh" girls modeling Kool and the Gang t-shirts.

that's what I'm talking about. and the bud, of course. I hope I never get desperate enough to actually search for herb inside my record collection!

• Who was it in the UK that found a few K in $100 bills in a sleeve? That was by far the wildest story that's come up here.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    when i was in high school- i once found a bag of cocaine in the pocket of a jacket at a detroit thrift store.

oh yeah, records.

i found an extremely detailed recipe for carrot cake w/ handrawn illustrations shaded in crayon in the cover of a Family of Percussion LP.

A friend found a bunch of dirty polaroids of some girls circa early 90's in the cover to a 2XLP Dave Matthews Band LP that came into the record store where he used to work.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I love those inserts -- my favorite is finding those little paper thin records (don't know what the process is called) that are usually label promos. The most recent was this hawaiin new age floppy record that was inside of this hard-core 70s electronic album.

the coolest was this 3*5 card from this Greek hotel, one of the islands. On the back of the card there was a note that read "Kafka, page 49. Never Again." I'm still trying to get to that hotel. I found that inside of a tangerine dream record.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I found $25 in one record sleeve in VERY ancient deteriorated dollar bills (197? dollar bills ) and fives. That was awesome.

BUT the best thing EVAR was the insert that came inside ELP's Love Beach where you could send away for futuristic Love Beach apparel. Shit is a riot! I hopefully will find it, the Love Beach monogrammed short shorts kill it!

T.N.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    ...no, I'm not talking about the long-forgotten dimebag pressed between the folds of a Led Zeppelin IV gatefold

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Sometimes it's years after the fact. I'll be going through my albums, look inside and occasionally find envelopes, business cards, etc. One insert was recent, as it was a listing of URL's, links to "nudes" and "naked models"

It is always great to find full posters, especially when they don't have pin holes or anything.

I haven't found too many, but I have a George Wright album on Hi-Fi, where the record itself is still sealed in the inner bag, and inside there's a Hi-Fi Records catalog. I have yet to open it, but finding record company catalogs are always cool as well.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I found a beat-up copy of an Al Green record that had a concert program in it. These are a couple scans from it:

Fresh to death.

(That middle one would look oh-so-fly on a t-shirt, huh?)

Herm