Handheld Strut

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
OK I want a phone/PDA/browser. Blackberry? Trio? What's the word?

Those with experience plaese to school a young

Thanks

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    OK I want a phone/PDA/browser. Blackberry? Trio? What's the word?

Those with experience plaese to school a young

Thanks

Treo 650 is a GOOD look. Palm over Blackberry.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I had a Blackberry in 2000 aka RIM job. Was cool to send emails from places like the toilet and on top of the WTC. Great time-saver. Use it if you send a lot of short emails.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Palm Treo. Don't get the new 670, though, it's Windows Mobile based. Boo. The 650 is way better.

I'm biased because I work at PalmSource, the company behind the Palm OS, but I really do think they're the best out there. Word,

DJ Ferrari

• I thought this post was about the little dudes that need to get there hands held after they get "MAD AT SOULSTRUT".

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    also problematic... freezes cause you to not be able to do simple things like answer your phone etc.

I have heard some so so things about it, all things considered.

My job was exclusively using treo's .. they have since switched the entire company over to the blackberry.

Plus, I accidently ruined cosmo's.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    all I want to say is for the students out there

We've all seen the laptop takeover the classes. People taking notes on their laptop and developing the resultant typing skills.

But if you are looking for a cheaper alternative and have a good computer at home

PDA's come with small keyboards. The thing with this is that you get all the advantages of file transfers and printability of your notes but much cheaper and smaller. a PDA is use ful might as well make a double use out of it

I saw this guy studying his notes on his PDA in a crowded bus. With a laptop never that

I'm biased because I work at PalmSource, the company behind the Palm OS, but I really do think they're the best out there. Word.

Palm > Windows pocket pc > Blackberry

Whatever happened to BeOS being the new hotness for handhelds a few years back?

• I don't have any of the above, but I think I read the other day that blackberry might have to shut down its network. So I would check that shit out before you buy one.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I don't have any of the above, but I think I read the other day that blackberry might have to shut down its network. So I would check that shit out before you buy one.

heard that too, anyone got the latest on that????

I am looking into TREO possibly... its got AIM right?????

-M

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    I don't have any of the above, but I think I read the other day that blackberry might have to shut down its network. So I would check that shit out before you buy one.

Indeed - facing copyright and patent issues right now; as a result, RIM's stock has taken a hit as of late...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Didnt the usa today recently report on the blackberry's demise or somethin to that effect?

I am interested as to how this will turn out. I have an uncle who has his blackberry grafted onto his hip/hands. It's sik. Dude is mad busy.

hah, great avatar BATMON:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    hah, great avatar BATMON:

My real avatar is issac from loveboat. My work computer is a sony and it shows up there,but when i'm on
    the ibook is displays this avatar.............WTF ????

NTP can choose to shutdown the Blackberry network if RIM doesn't pay for licensing.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I love my K Jam. It has/does everything.

I can't seem to get a proper screen capture right this second to show it properly Hmmm

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    Federal Circuit upheld the District Court???s finding of infringement and the permanent injunction. Parties settled a few months ago, but then RIM partially reneged. Judge threw out the $450M settlement two weeks ago. Same day, the Patent Office preliminarily invalidated all of NTPs patents, but the decision isn???t final pending review of European counterpart patents. Parties negotiated for a new settlement for more $, but negotiations broke down last Friday.

Worst case: NTP refuses to settle, which would be mindless because they have no products and their only revenue source is licensing and litigation. Result: all Blackberry service and sales of devices would be permanently enjoined in the US. RIM says it has a workaround that doesn???t infringe, but supposedly is still likely to cause major service disruption.

Likely Outcome: RIM ups the settlement offer and settles the case; bberries unaffected.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

I have the one on the right but they are the same machine, more or less, made by the same people but sold under different brands. Phone, Outlook, Word docs, spreadsheets, PDFs, full internet, MP3 player...the lot. I even watch movies on this thing and hook it up to the stereo like an ipod. Can't fault it. It's all touch screen, that's the only thing but then again Treo's are made for people with fingers like needles.

• Oh I should mention I want a keyboard. No foldout, no using a pointer to write, I had a palm once and hated the grafitti shit

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Patent holding is where the big money is. It's fantastic that these companies become insanely wealthy with no product. All they do is litigate! Incroyable!

Let me try this again.

This shit does everything. I got a 1 gig SD Card in it. I use it as my mp3 player, watch movies, Quad Band, WM5, Bluetooth 1.2 but it is bluetooth 2.0 ready (Just needs a firmware update) Built in Wifi b/g,etc

The voice command stuff is the bomb...

The movie I'm watching right now (The pic quality is wayyyy better than shown in this pic and the shot is with a blue filter in the movie)

• Oh.... sorry

I see it now

• Options
    I have a Treo 600, it's good. And old.

Get the 650, fuck it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I have a Treo 600, it's good. And old.

Get the 650, fuck it.

Can you tell I'm bored at work?

Come find me ya bastards!

• -

• Let me try this again.

This shit does everything. I got a 1 gig SD Card in it. I use it as my mp3 player, watch movies, Quad Band, WM5, Bluetooth 1.2 but it is bluetooth 2.0 ready (Just needs a firmware update) Built in Wifi b/g,etc

The movie I'm watching right now (The pic quality is wayyyy better than shown in this pic and the shot is with a blue filter in the movie)

how much is this thingamajiggy? thanks

• Let me try this again.

how much is this thingamajiggy? thanks
    holy shit thats expensive......or rather i'm broke.

Cahoots: No, but very close...

And yeah, it's kinda expensive. I got a major hook up on it. And I rarely buy myself anything, so I thought what the hell.

• What's the best place to buy a treo online? What service do peepholes recommend? Is it worth getting an unlocked phone so you can use the shit in europe and US (via T-mobile, sim cards)?

$??