People You Buy Records From

13»

Comments

• video game dude and kid at local flea market: their store is just a load of overpriced used video games but they keep a few records in the corner, sometimes has suprises. the guy plays dr. mario on nes for hours. i hilariously found silk degrees and sealed endless flight next to each other in the same box
    quote: "all games are guaranteed to play" every 5 minutes

Are you talking about the guy indoors, at the fairgrounds??
    actually the place i was referring to is at the newport flea market

• I know some of you know Ray Miller. He's a BIG dude, XXL. Know to take a break around 4:20 during record shows. Missing a few teeth and the pants are in danger of falling off. Extremely knowledgable and has serious heat, and knows what it goes for. Buys a lot of bulk shit, he's the main reason the bottom dropped out of Earl Lett's 'Green Power', cos he got a stack of OG 45s from the man himself. He's also got mad copies of Gunga Din's 'Crabcakes', also worth copping. He also has quantity on this later Plunky and the Oneness of Juju disco-ey 45 called 'Plastic' that's worth a listen, and haven't seen it anywhere else, pretty cheap. He's friends with Plunky, and I keep telling him we need to bring that mofo out to play a show in NYC. At one point he had quantity on Andrew White ('who got the funk') and knows him as well.

Ray also bought out the collection from the guy who ran Black Fire records, and has 2-3 feet worth of el saturn Sun Ra's, crazy euro spirit and free jazz, Art Ensemble's Les Stance a Sophie (French OG press), and at one point the Philip Cohran ensemble thing. He also got into Bobby Robinson's collection (Enjoy records), and has a bunch of enjoy schlitz.

Also the 'advisor' to scorpio for a lot of their 'reissues'. Supposedly legit, but they seem questionable. But he's the reason you see all that strata east and random funk things in print. The guys who actually run the Scorpio wherehouse (at an undisclosed location in Trenton NJ) are more than a little shady. Word on the street is its a money laundering thing for the mob. They've been to the FMU fair a few times and they don't know shit.

Nice guy tho and actually helped me and triple double get into the edison show early one time, so I can't front. Copped some nice 45s from him the last FMU fair.

Probably the coolest thing I got from Ray was this early 70's DIY black jazz magazine, that he had gotten from somebody, maybe the Black Fire guy. Had a box and was selling them for 10 bucks. Pretty sick, ads for Strata East and Tribe records mixed in with interviews, poetry, power to the peephole type articles.

$??

Yup,this guy is major.He told me he sold those sun ra records in one fell swoop to a collectro.I'll never forget when he told me he had just come back from Japan.A woman paid him to fly to Japan to appraise her dead husband's collection.You gotta be a serious big dude to go on "all expenses paid record appraising" trips. I didn't know he was down with the 4:20 breaks.

• I know some of you know Ray Miller. He's a BIG dude, XXL. Know to take a break around 4:20 during record shows. Missing a few teeth and the pants are in danger of falling off. Extremely knowledgable and has serious heat, and knows what it goes for. Buys a lot of bulk shit, he's the main reason the bottom dropped out of Earl Lett's 'Green Power', cos he got a stack of OG 45s from the man himself. He's also got mad copies of Gunga Din's 'Crabcakes', also worth copping. He also has quantity on this later Plunky and the Oneness of Juju disco-ey 45 called 'Plastic' that's worth a listen, and haven't seen it anywhere else, pretty cheap. He's friends with Plunky, and I keep telling him we need to bring that mofo out to play a show in NYC. At one point he had quantity on Andrew White ('who got the funk') and knows him as well.

Ray also bought out the collection from the guy who ran Black Fire records, and has 2-3 feet worth of el saturn Sun Ra's, crazy euro spirit and free jazz, Art Ensemble's Les Stance a Sophie (French OG press), and at one point the Philip Cohran ensemble thing. He also got into Bobby Robinson's collection (Enjoy records), and has a bunch of enjoy schlitz.

Also the 'advisor' to scorpio for a lot of their 'reissues'. Supposedly legit, but they seem questionable. But he's the reason you see all that strata east and random funk things in print. The guys who actually run the Scorpio wherehouse (at an undisclosed location in Trenton NJ) are more than a little shady. Word on the street is its a money laundering thing for the mob. They've been to the FMU fair a few times and they don't know shit.

Nice guy tho and actually helped me and triple double get into the edison show early one time, so I can't front. Copped some nice 45s from him the last FMU fair.

Probably the coolest thing I got from Ray was this early 70's DIY black jazz magazine, that he had gotten from somebody, maybe the Black Fire guy. Had a box and was selling them for 10 bucks. Pretty sick, ads for Strata East and Tribe records mixed in with interviews, poetry, power to the peephole type articles.

$??

i forgot all about that magazine!!!!
    ray is the fuckin man. one of my favorite ray stories was his dealings with wes (aka diplo). wes used to try to make a documentary about weired record dudes (footage of the count and stinky steve), but ray was about to kill him when he turned the camera on him at a show. when ray had mad copies of jus a groove in g, wes didnt have any more money so wes joked that he'd swap him his jacket. ray grabbed it. looked it over and gave him a couple 45s and was like "my kid might like this." another time smart ass wes was like, "ray, come on i really want that record. lets fight for it" Ray gets up to start walking outside and wes follows. ray was completely ready to beat his ass down. wes plays it off but ray was like "look, you probably have 9 or ten bucks in your pocket, put that up against whatever i have on me and lets have a fair one" ray flashes a wad of cash. end of story

• yo what about pops in virginia? he still init?

• i'd pay to see that footage diplo has on stinky steve....

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    diplo sounds like a fuckin dickhead

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    big ray's been nice to me because he is down with my buddy jamie double decker (allentown rec. shop owner)--
    it's true he's got the heat--but boy--he is usually way overpriced.
    though i'm certain a lot of strutter's love this dude (because some of you are

i've heard stories of him breaking records in half in front of people at record shows if they complain about his prices. not a guy to mess with.
    i joke around with him--and if you joke around with him--he can get all serious--and then he will make sure to play some jokes on you!
    really weird dude.

and i've met bobby robinson (enjoy).seems like a nice dude with a obviously questionable past. i've copped some og stuff from him before.

my man s__ is not too down with big ray though. i guess some of those scorpio releases aren't all that legit--but yeah--i guess it's cool that a lot of those strata east records are reissued--legit or not.

• i'll just say that Jerry from Jerrys Records is the man. great dude.

yes, he is the man.

• i'll just say that Jerry from Jerrys Records is the man. great dude.

yes, he is the man.

Giving away box upon box of free (albeit shitty) records will do ti.

$??

Ray is dude...Many good scores from his boxes.

• Post deleted by mylatency

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Scandalous.

All i have to say, is whenever i go record shopping. there is one of these elements present.

1. Someone mentally unsound.
    2. Someone who doesn't bathe.

All you NYC and SF people are spoiled! That is all I have to say.

• For everyone in internet land, Mike and I do a lot of business and we joke around a lot, clearly in the process I got some wrong ideas about him. However, we've since spoken extensively and dealt with the issue the way you're supposed to - directly, face to face, not over the interweb. Sorry if that disappoints anyone fiending for drama. To all who might at some point patronize his stall fix your faces and show the man utmost respect as he breaks you off with untold raers.

Mike - again, my apologies for any misunderstanding. See ya at the flea!

[/internetbeef]

• For everyone in internet land, Mike and I do a lot of business and we joke around a lot, clearly in the process I got some wrong ideas about him. However, we've since spoken extensively and dealt with the issue the way you're supposed to - directly, face to face, not over the interweb. Sorry if that disappoints anyone fiending for drama. To all who might at some point patronize his stall fix your faces and show the man utmost respect as he breaks you off with untold raers.

Mike - again, my apologies for any misunderstanding. See ya at the flea!

[/internetbeef]

Shall we add "don't shit where you eat" to the elements of digging thread.