cadet concept favorites?

2»

Comments

• Howlin' Wolf's electric album or Muddy Waters??
    Howlin' Wolf ... more wild

electric mud does it for me..although smokestack lightning is the jammy...i'm not into all the cuts on the the wolf lp..i dig every track on elec mud though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm going with the Wolf - of the two, his just sounds like he is more involved in the session...too often Electric Mud just sounds like a band jamming over a random tape of Muddy's vocals...I need After the Rain, but I'm holding out for a cheap copy...I got the Wolf and Electric Mud that way, because you'll eventually come across a spot where the owner considers those albums "garbage" and puts them out for pennies...wish my Electric Mud had the book, tho...

• I'm going with the Wolf - of the two, his just sounds like he is more involved in the session...too often Electric Mud just sounds like a band jamming over a random tape of Muddy's vocals...I need After the Rain, but I'm holding out for a cheap copy...I got the Wolf and Electric Mud that way, because you'll eventually come across a spot where the owner considers those albums "garbage" and puts them out for pennies...wish my Electric Mud had the book, tho...
    after the rain definetly sounds like muddy has way more involvement compared to e. mud...its alot more bluesy, less psychy/funky..great stuff but really can't touch e.mud..imo.

• wish my Electric Mud had the book, tho...

Yea man!! The book is so smooth. But you cant front on the reluctance on Wolf's LP. The title, the talking between songs. Just like, hes not feeling the step down to an "electric" album. But yet its so fucking solid!

"this guitar sounds queer...."

• wish my Electric Mud had the book, tho...

Yea man!! The book is so smooth. But you cant front on the reluctance on Wolf's LP. The title, the talking between songs. Just like, hes not feeling the step down to an "electric" album. But yet its so fucking solid!

"this guitar sounds queer...."
    i always thought he was saying qual(spelling)sound, like the bird? dude got the mcgruff voice!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    thats not on cadet concept is it? i know third cup isnt.

btw, how is that Colonel bagshot lp? ive been curious about that one

• No, this is not on Cadet Concept, but it sure looks like it.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

No, this is not on Cadet Concept, but it sure looks like it.

My copy is on Cadet Concept, and it has a completely different mixdown.

• Here's a little Cadet Concept 45 discography I've been working on, does anyone know any missing titles or b-sides?

Rotary Connection Lady Jane / Amen DJ1 (Promo Only)
    Rotary Connection Like a rollin' stone / Turn me on 7000
    Status Quo Pictures of matchstick men / Gentlemen Joes sidewalk caf?? 7001
    Rotary Connection Ruby tuesday / Soul man 7002
    Jeannie Piersol Gladys / With your love 7003
    The Wildweeds I'm dreaming / Happiness is just an illusion 7004
    Aesops Fables I'm gonna make you love me / They go out and get it 7005
    Status Quo Ice in the sun / When my mind is not live 7006
    Rotary Connection Paper castle / Teach me how to fly 7007
    Rotary Connection Aladdin / Magical world 7008
    Rotary Connection Silent night chant / Peace at last 7009
    Status Quo Technicolor dreams / Spicks and specks 7010
    Aesops Fables What is love / Temptation bout to get me 7011
    Jeannie Piersol Your sweet inner self (Don't you miss the 60's) / The Nest 7012
    Howlin??? Wolf Evil / Tail dragger 7013
    Rotary Connection The weight / Respect 7014
    Status Quo Black veils of melancholy / To be free 7015
    Aesops Fables What is love / And when its over 7016
    Status Quo The price of love / Little Miss nothing 7017
    Rotary Connection Want you to know / Mempry band 7018
    Friend & Lover Hard lovin' / Colorado exile 7019
    David Perrett Girl, I'll always be in love with you / 7020
    Rotary Connection Love me now / May our amens be true 7021
    Joel Vance Slippin' and slidin' / Stars fell on Alabama 7022
    Sinclair Salloom Sleep / Animal 7024
    Liu Maessen Knock knock who's there / Just a little lovin' 7026
    Rotary Connection Teach me how to fly / Stormy Monday blues 7027
    The New Rotary Connection Hey, love / If I sing my song 7028
    Harvey Scales Leave it for the the trashman / Electric robot 7029
    Harvey Scales The trashman / ? 7030

• No, this is not on Cadet Concept, but it sure looks like it.

???????wow....how different is the mixdown? the cadet reish does'nt sound so good.

Two pressings on this one....Cadet #848 and on Cadet/Concept too.

Poor recording quality and some lousy pressings....great LP though.

• chrischris 287 Posts

i've never heard of that on cadet/concept and i know castillo's kidding.

i've never heard of that on cadet/concept and i know castillo's kidding.

http://www.b-music.co.uk/girls_cry_6.html

uhh...that link doesn't really come off as concrete evidence...

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

uhh...that link doesn't really come off as concrete evidence...

I'm fucking sick of Chris Carnahan taking jabs at my credibility.

• Jeannie Piersol - Gladys / With your love 7003

This is the first record that came to mind when I saw this thread, because I knew everybody was gonna be all over the Rotary Connection, the Status Quo, Muddy and the Wolf. "With Your Love" is passable blue-eyed soul, but the A-side is a pretty good psych number with Grace Slick-ish vocals (Darby Slick, who was Grace's husband or brother, produced.)

David Perrett - Girl, I'll always be in love with you / 7020

NOTE TO WOODSMAN: The other side of this single is "Soul President."[/b]

Cadet Concept was supposed to be Chess' acid-rock label, but there were a few stray soul records that wound up on that imprint, and this was one of them. I'm guessing the Harvey Scales singles are straight soul as well.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    IMG src=http://www.dwcastillo.com/images/oz.gif>

the beat of this icon is synched up perfect with this matching mole record and its freakin me out

• wildweeds

They have a 45 on Cadet Concept? I have "No Good to Cry" on Cadet - such a great song, but the LP they put out on Vanguard is nothing like it...country rock instead of the garagey soul of the Cadet 45.

The Vanguard LP was a few years AFTER the Cadet recordings.

Very few garage-era bands made it into the hippie era sounding the same way they did previously. The Wildweeds were no exception.

• electric mud

I have a 1969 issue of Down Beat and in the letters to the editor there's a guy from Ohio defending the album which was being shredded by the critics at the time. Would love to get a hold of that guy's collection!

I wonder if, assuming he's still alive, he still feels the same way 36 years later.

wildweeds

They have a 45 on Cadet Concept? I have "No Good to Cry" on Cadet - such a great song, but the LP they put out on Vanguard is nothing like it...country rock instead of the garagey soul of the Cadet 45.

The Vanguard LP was a few years AFTER the Cadet recordings.

Very few garage-era bands made it into the hippie era sounding the same way they did previously. The Wildweeds were no exception.

Yes, I understood that. I'm wondering where the Cadet Concept release falls - if it was soulful rock like the regular Cadet stuff, maybe more psychedelic, or already turning rootsy...that Vanguard LP was such a disappointment to me when I found it, I was hoping for a full LP of material along the lines of "No Good to Cry"

Here's a link to a live 1967 recording of "No Good..."

Wildweeds Live MP3

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Here's a little Cadet Concept 45 discography I've been working on, does anyone know any missing titles or b-sides?

16393: Rotary Connection: Amen / ? (This may be the production number of your "DJ1" issue)[/b]

7025: Craig Holland - Good Morning Tomorrow / ?

Also, after the GRT overthrow shit (and the subsequent catalogue numbering change):

50006: The New Rotary Connection - Hey Love (LP)

50010: Colonel Bagshot - Oh! What A Lovely War (LP)

Both retained the familiar Cadet Concept labels, albeit with the afforementioned number swaps.

OH: There is no officially released "second version" of the Eddie Fisher LP (Although there should have been one). So David is full of shit on this one (D, don't ever change!). A reminder: Not everything recorded in "CONCEPT 12" Stereo was a Cadet Concept release. See: Fugi.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    In my opinion, the Colonel Bagshot lp is pretty overrated. The Six days track is pretty cool, and there's another track or two that's pretty nice, but it's not worth dropping loot for it or anything like that.

• Thanks to pickwick & luck for your replies, at this point I'm pretty sure that last Harvey Scales 45 only made it out on promo?(I could be wrong of course) I've seen the promo a few times but never a regular issue.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Thanks to pickwick & luck for your replies, at this point I'm pretty sure that last Harvey Scales 45 only made it out on promo?(I could be wrong of course) I've seen the promo a few times but never a regular issue.

I'm pretty sure it did, from what I've seen. I've never actually heard it to know if it's much different from the closely-titled A-side on 7029.