Your favorite producers masterpieces (hip hop)

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited December 2005 in Music Talk
Bombjack's "Livin Proof" thread, reminded me that I always thought that was primo's masterpiece (despite the nutcracker - who i think adds comic relief ). what about these guys?Primo- Livin ProofRZA- Only built 4 cuban LinxPete Rock - Mecca and the Soul BrotherPrince Paul - De La soul is deadLarge Professor - Breaking AtomsDr. Dre - Niggaz4lifeMannie Fresh - 400 Degreez

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Bombjack's "Livin Proof" thread, reminded me that I always thought that was primo's masterpiece (despite the nutcracker - who i think adds comic relief ).

what about these guys?

Primo- Livin Proof

RZA- Only built 4 cuban Linx

Pete Rock ??? Mecca and the Soul Brother

Prince Paul ??? De La soul is dead

Large Professor ??? Breaking Atoms

Hey,

Here are some more:

1. Showbiz-"Runaway Slave".

2. Stimulated Dummies-"Ism & Blues".

3. Mista Lawnge-"A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing".

4. The Beatnuts-"Street Level".

5. Dr. Dre-"The Chronic".

6. Bomb Squad-"It Takes a Nation of Millions....".

7. Diamond-"Stunts, Blunts, & Hip-Hop".

8. Da Beatminerz-"Dah Shinin'".

9. A Tribe Called Quest-"Low End Theory".

10. Ced-Gee-"Critical Beatdown".

11. 45 King-"Pure Righteousness".

12. Muggs-"Black Sunday".

13. Lawrence Goodman-"Believe Me Dat's Bad".

14. Dust Brothers-"Paul's Boutique".

15. Mantronik-"Back to the Old School".

16. Marley Marl-"Goin' Off".

17. Hitman Howin Tee-"And the Winner Is...".

18. Sam Sever-"The Cactus Album".

19. KRS-ONE-"By Any Means Necessary".

20. Jay Dee-"Fantastic Vol. 2".

21. J-Swift-"Bizarre Ride to the Pharcyde".

22. Larry Smith-"Escape".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Pete Rock ??? Mecca and the Soul Brother Main Ingredient

The lyrics kind of bug me, but the beats on this are just fucking insane. Listening to the inst. LP right now!

• 1. 45 King-"Pure Righteousness"

is this lakim shabazz?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

is this lakim shabazz?

No, that's Jerry Shabazz.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

Pete Rock ??? Mecca and the Soul Brother Main Ingredient

The lyrics kind of bug me, but the beats on this are just fucking insane. Listening to the inst. LP right now!

Yes those early Pete Rock beats were insane. he always filterd his basslines. Love all that schitt. damn I still need an official inst. LP.

• Here are some more:

1. Showbiz-"Runaway Slave".
    2. Stimulated Dummies-"Ism & Blues".
    3. Mista Lawnge-"A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing".
    4. The Beatnuts-"Street Level".
    5. Dr. Dre-"The Chronic".
    6. Bomb Squad-"It Takes a Nation of Millions....".
    7. Diamond-"Stunts, Blunts, & Hip-Hop".
    8. Da Beatminerz-"Dah Shinin'".
    10. Ced-Gee-"Critical Beatdown".
    11. 45 King-"Pure Righteousness".
    12. Muggs-"Black Sunday".
    13. Lawrence Goodman-"Believe Me Dat's Bad".
    14. Dust Brothers-"Paul's Boutique".
    15. Mantronik-"Back to the Old School".
    16. Marley Marl-"Goin' Off".
    17. Hitman Howin Tee-"And the Winner Is...".
    18. Sam Sever-"The Cactus Album".
    19. KRS-ONE-"By Any Means Necessary".
    20. Jay Dee-"Fantastic Vol. 2".
    21. J-Swift-"Bizarre Ride to the Pharcyde".
    22. Larry Smith-"Escape".

Isn't it sad that hip-hop records now are so cluttered with producers these days? there's no cohesiveness...

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    Bombjack's "Livin Proof" thread, reminded me that I always thought that was primo's masterpiece (despite the nutcracker - who i think adds comic relief ).

what about these guys?

Primo- Livin Proof
    RZA- Only built 4 cuban Linx
    Pete Rock ??? Mecca and the Soul Brother
    Prince Paul ??? De La soul is dead
    Large Professor ??? Breaking Atoms
    Dr. Dre - Niggaz4life
    Mannie Fresh ??? 400 Degreez

don't get me wrong i like Livin' Proof and all but it doesn't hold a candle to Daily Operation or even Step In The Arena imo

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Premier- Moment of Truth
    Pete Rock- Soul Survivor
    Rza- Cuban Linx, 36 Chambers, Wu-tang Forever

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Premier- Moment of Truth
    Pete Rock- Soul Survivor

I will have to tastefully disagree with these as well as many others on this list, thank you, and have a pleasant Friday evening.

Premier- Moment of Truth
    Pete Rock- Soul Survivor

I will have to tastefully disagree with these as well as many others on this list, thank you, and have a pleasant Friday evening.

that's ok. i just grew up in a different era and i have to play catch up.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Premier- Moment of Truth

Pete Rock- Soul Survivor

Yeah, I thought as much.

Yo, Mark told me you stopped by his store. How is it? I still haven't made it up there to check it out. He told me some fucking C R A Z A Y stories of cracked out and insane people running up in there and acting a fool.

He said some dude came in and started telling everyone a joke and then bent over and spread his buttcheeks for no apparent reason.

Glad I didn't go on that day.

I guess you're gonna get that when you're in downtown LA. He had some raers last time I talked to him, though.

• Premier- Moment of Truth

Premiers best beats ever! and..

Group Home - Livin Proof (Dj Premier)

Lootpack - Soundpieces: Da Antidote (Madlib)

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Adding on:

(Yeah, I said it)

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

maybe this is just a personal thing but i always loved the beats on instinctive travels WAAAY more than low end theory.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

maybe this is just a personal thing but i always loved the beats on instinctive travels WAAAY more than low end theory.

CoSign(iwouldnt say WAAAYmore),but Low End Theory is the poeple's choice. LETheory was more "street"and minimal compared to the first joint.

Premier- Moment of Truth

Pete Rock- Soul Survivor

Yeah, I thought as much.

Yo, Mark told me you stopped by his store. How is it? I still haven't made it up there to check it out. He told me some fucking C R A Z A Y stories of cracked out and insane people running up in there and acting a fool.

He said some dude came in and started telling everyone a joke and then bent over and spread his buttcheeks for no apparent reason.

Glad I didn't go on that day.

I guess you're gonna get that when you're in downtown LA. He had some raers last time I talked to him, though.

yea i did visit that store one time. he did have some raers on the wall, but to be honest the location isn't very ideal for running a record shop. i wish him the best of luck though. oh and he seemed like a good dude.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Pete Rock- Soul Survivor[/b]

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Pete Rock ??? Mecca and the Soul Brother[/b]

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    as a non-Quas fan, I'd say this for Madlib

• and as a non-Quas fan, I'd say this is garbage.[/b]

This on the other hand...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

and as a non-Quas fan, I'd say this is garbage.[/b]

This on the other hand...

is a great sleep aid.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    prince among thieves...even if that was musically lacking i'd give full props on the concept alone. id be interested to know if something like that has been attempted in ANY genre, (not including operas or musicals, so don't mention Tommy or anything) the fact that it's musically dope seals the "masterpiece" deal (id love to know the background of this album, ie when the idea first started, how he chose the partipants, etc etc...i remember breezly brewin saying how practically every line was rehearsed tons of times, to get the right feel to make it seamless. and while an album like that in any other genre like rock would be hailed as a classic that u had to own, i feel this album ain't discussed enough. phucking legends about pink floyd in synch with wizard of oz and sheit, whether true or not, tons of rock fans are aware of even the possibility...but i doubt a youngster just getting into the hoppa da hip would be aware of this gem, even though its not under underground. thats something i never understood, its like rap is meant to be temporary? you dont have to research the foundations? sheit, in may ways im a latecomer and im still finding out new stuff everyday, and with the net, we got no excuse. i'l shut up now, its the alchy, but cmon, why dont people rock prince paul shirts?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    prince among thieves...even if that was musically lacking i'd give full props on the concept alone. id be interested to know if something like that has been attempted in ANY genre, (not including operas or musicals, so don't mention Tommy or anything) the fact that it's musically dope seals the "masterpiece" deal (id love to know the background of this album, ie when the idea first started, how he chose the partipants, etc etc...i remember breezly brewin saying how practically every line was rehearsed tons of times, to get the right feel to make it seamless. and while an album like that in any other genre like rock would be hailed as a classic that u had to own, i feel this album ain't discussed enough. phucking legends about pink floyd in synch with wizard of oz and sheit, whether true or not, tons of rock fans are aware of even the possibility...but i doubt a youngster just getting into the hoppa da hip would be aware of this gem, even though its not under underground. thats something i never understood, its like rap is meant to be temporary? you dont have to research the foundations? sheit, in may ways im a latecomer and im still finding out new stuff everyday, and with the net, we got no excuse. i'l shut up now, its the alchy, but cmon, why dont people rock prince paul shirts?

THat album is weaksauce. And inventing the hip hop skit is nothing to be proud of.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

THat album is weaksauce. And inventing the hip hop skit is nothing to be proud of.

that album is phucking great and i wasnt talking about skits.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

that album is phucking great and i wasnt talking about skits.

Its interesting how we all dig different things - to me that cd is coaster material. A nice concept, tho.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    OC-Word Life(buckwild) buck didnt do ALL the beats, but his shine the most

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

"Trapped in the Closet" erases this from existence.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    OC-Word Life(buckwild) buck didnt do ALL the beats, but his shine the most

co-sign

Who else did production on that record? I thought Buckwild did pretty much all of it. I only had the single die-cut sleeve LP with no credits on it from what I can remember.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i got the tape the other day and the credits go like this

all tracks produced by Buckwild except

creative control-organized konfusion

constables-organized konfusion

Ga Head-lord finnese

no main topic-dj ogee

story-dj ogee

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

"Trapped in the Closet" erases this from existence.

cosign.