SoulStrut suicides: holidays related?

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
False:
The idea that more people kill themselves around the winter holidays is a myth that the media have little interest in correcting, according to a study from the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania.In an analysis of newspaper articles about suicide between Thanksgiving and Christmas in 1999. researchers found nearly half of them associated suicide with the winter holidays, despite receiving press releases warning journalists that such associations don't seem to be warranted. Suicides drop during the winter months, according to the National Center for Health Statistics, and they usually peak during the spring months. Researchers caution that the flurry of articles on holiday suicides could actually inspire "copycat" suicides. Exposure to suicide methods may encourage vulnerable individuals to imitate them, the study warns.
Discutir por favor.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I got word yesterday that Phil Baker, one half of the record dealing duo known as Rare Ass Records and/or Monster Records out of San Antonio, committed suicide this past weekend. Laid on the railroad tracks......R.I.P.

• Man thats terrible, my thoughts go to his family & friends.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Laid on the railroad tracks

Wow! I have to admit, my first thought was "I wonder how long he had to lay there before a train came?" Like, did he look up schedules and stuff so that he wouldn't be laying there all day? becuase i'm pretty sure after a few hours i would probably chicken out and just go home. And also, it cant be comfortable laying across the railroad ties. They would dig into your back.

Sorry to sound insensitive, but, goddam.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Wow! I have to admit, my first thought was "I wonder how long he had to lay there before a train came?" Like, did he look up schedules and stuff so that he wouldn't be laying there all day? becuase i'm pretty sure after a few hours i would probably chicken out and just go home. And also, it cant be comfortable laying across the railroad ties. They would dig into your back.

yes, there have to be better ways to do this. I would jump from the top of a building or something.

Can I start a "How would you commit suicide" thread?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

yes, there have to be better ways to do this. I would jump from the top of a building or something.
    Nah, the best way to do that is pills (or pills and booze). What if you survive jumping off of a building? Then you'll be either paralyzed and/or horribly disfigured.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Nah, the best way to do that is pills (or pills and booze). What if you survive jumping off of a building? Then you'll be either paralyzed and/or horribly disfigured.

Nah, if you choose the correct building, there's no way you can survive. I would end up as flat as a record.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Last month a guy tried to kill himself by jumping off a motorway bridge in front of a truck. Truck swerved, took out two cars. Four people dead and the guy who jumped just broke his ankle. Now that's bad planning.

• Nah, the best way to do that is pills (or pills and booze). What if you survive jumping off of a building? Then you'll be either paralyzed and/or horribly disfigured.

Nah, if you choose the correct building, there's no way you can survive. I would end up as flat as a record.

"Finally, a home accessory for the sidewalk-pizza hound -- a set of 4 coasters made out of original sidewalk-pizza's mounted on heavy rubber -- as functional as they are groovy!

• Nah, the best way to do that is pills (or pills and booze). What if you survive jumping off of a building? Then you'll be either paralyzed and/or horribly disfigured.

I wouldn't recomend pills & Booze, its hard to get the dosage right and if you fuck it up(easily done) you can suffer a long lingering and painfull death from liver/kidney failure.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    On a side note, I hate people that kill themselves using public transportation...at rush hours! I mean, can you please die without fucking my way back home? Thank you.

• some chick in Chicago recently tried to kill herself by driving through the streets as fast as she could, running red lights, until she hit something. She rear-ended a car and killed everyone inside it I believe. I also think she lived. People like this should be kept alive and tortured until they die of natural causes.

Anyway I always get kinda depressed, but it's more winter and the cold and being stuck indoors all the time. The holidays are actually fun, it's the 2-3 months of bleak nothingness that follows that's the worst.

• On a side note, I hate people that kill themselves using public transportation...at rush hours! I mean, can you please die without fucking my way back home? Thank you.

Co-sign

Also: could you please carry out your choice without traumatizing any of the people working on public transport? Heard some horrible stories...

Nah, if you choose the correct building, there's no way you can survive.
    Like this...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Like this...

or...I would ask her to sit on my face til I run out of air. Sweet death.

• a friend of mine in college fell off the 4th story of a parking garage and walked away. he walked his ass to the hospital but he was fine.

Like this...

or...I would ask her to sit on my face til I run out of air. Sweet death.

Even Better!!

a friend of mine in college fell off the 4th story of a parking garage and walked away. he walked his ass to the hospital but he was fine.
    Wow.

The reason why I brought up the whole 'pills and booze' way of committing suicide was that I was thinking about a comedy special Damon Wayans did about 15 years ago. He said something to the effect of how fucked up it would be to commit suicide by jumping off of a building and surviving.

But If I wanted to off myself, JLR has the best solution, evar!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Terrible about the Monster Records dude. He ripped me off on a record once, but still terrible.

• A woman killed herself by walking onto a highway right in front of my friend's sister's SUV. I think she's still in therapy.

• i have to say getting hit by a train is a pretty sure fire way to kill yourself it's quick and almost guaranteed to work.

i thought the best one would be the hose from the tailpipe to the cab of your car. probably just drift off to sleep.

not to say it wouldn't be traumatic for your family if they discovered you in your car dead, it would be a lot less traumatic than say plugging yourself with a gun.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

i thought the best one would be the hose from the tailpipe to the cab of your car. probably just drift off to sleep.

That's a surefire way to do it. That's how my dad did it. I don't think I could do it that way though cause I think it would smell terrible.

This is an awful thread.

• When I was in high school, my homeroom teacher committed suicide over the x-mas holidays..

apparently he was suffering from depression..

on the last day of school before the holiday, we presented a x-mas card to him, and he was close to tears saying that in the 20-odd years he teached, he never received something like this...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

This is an awful thread.

depressing the shit out of me. SOrry about your pops too AI. Seems like Heroin is the easiest way out to me. Cause even if you fuck up the first time, you better believe you will get it right eventually.

• Wow! I have to admit, my first thought was "I wonder how long he had to lay there before a train came?" Like, did he look up schedules and stuff so that he wouldn't be laying there all day? becuase i'm pretty sure after a few hours i would probably chicken out and just go home. And also, it cant be comfortable laying across the railroad ties. They would dig into your back.

You don't lay there all day. You sit on an overpass getting trashed and then when you see the train coming, then you lay down.

Besides, it really depends on what line you're on. Some have many trains a day, so you probably wouldn't have to wait for "hours".

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    FUK NO

I'M STAYING HERE WITH A VENGEANCE

JOB OR NOT
    GOOD OR BAD
    SERVER HOSTING OR NOT

SS FOR LIFE, PRETEND YOU DON'T FEEL ME, BATCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO AYO BUT MADD LOVE FOR Y'ALL

THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE.

• FUK NO

I'M STAYING HERE WITH A VENGEANCE

JOB OR NOT
    GOOD OR BAD
    SERVER HOSTING OR NOT

SS FOR LIFE, PRETEND YOU DON'T FEEL ME, BATCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO AYO BUT MADD LOVE FOR Y'ALL

THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE.

^^this just made me go grab this...

^^which will probably lead to this...

...cheers soulstrut brethren! stay up during these dark wintry months!! draw the blinds, crank up the heat, and throw on your preferred listening. it is rough, i know. if you're struggling, gimme a ring.

440-477-4910

post your phone #'s or you are insensitive

• 440-477-4910

Cleveland suburbs are for fruits

and not even Cuyahoga County either

you Lake snow belt ... person

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

...cheers soulstrut brethren! stay up during these dark wintry months!! draw the blinds, crank up the heat, and throw on your preferred listening. it is rough, i know. if you're struggling, gimme a ring.

440-477-4910

post your phone #'s or you are insensitive

mallard = new mike jones????????

• 440-477-4910

you got me there. thing is, i agree with you. i relocated to akron last year and have yet to change my #, but please believe, akron has changed me.

• 440-477-4910

you got me there. thing is, i agree with you. i relocated to akron last year and have yet to change my #, but please believe, akron has changed me.

Akron has changed me as well, it gives me hives.

What neighborhood do you stay in?