YO MTV Raps

TECUMSEHTECUMSEH 301 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Whould you watch this show if it came back on?I dug out some old vhs tapes of mine and was watchin some old videos. I'll have to say that I hella miss watchin Dre, Ed Lover, T-Money and of course Fab 5. The tape I was watchin yesterday had Fab 5 in Japan checkin out Japanese hip-hop. I forgot how ill that shit was.My answer to the top question would be fo sho.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i'd watch some... if your dad would come through with some salmon steaks.

• Only they'de probably play current mainstram crap now, so maybe not...
    YO MTV RAPS was always current/mainstream, why would it be different if they brought it back?

• i'd watch some... if your dad would come through with some salmon steaks.
    Sorry, but Dre ate em.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Doubt I'd watch but, I do remember that particular show, Freddy hit up a record store and was walking through a market and such... Damn I miss those shows. The Ed Lover dance with the 900 Number =

I need to bust out some of my old videos as well I know I have them. I think my brother has the 1st Yo! Mtv Raps on vhs.....

• Is clue still on MTV. That dude has zero personality. So bland. For that matter do any MTV VJ's (I hate that term) have any charisma at all. Dr. Dre and Ed Lover were the shit.

• But what about the time T-money came out dressed like a Gladiator. All the characters them folls did were straight up comedy. Them 106 and park cats could never pull that off. I loved seeing the Black Moon "How many MC's" video with Evil D upside down off the wall DJin. Also the Doug E Fresh "Iight" video with BIZ dressed up like that lady.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Video Music Box put Yo MTV raps to shame.

I didnt watch it then, and I would watch anything now w/ Yo or Raps in the title.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I hella miss watchin Dre, Ed Lover, T-Money

Back up off me!
    Back up off me!
    You gotta B-A-C-K U-P off me!

That show was great back in the day, and I still have some of it on tape (including one episode where Shabba Ranks was the special correspondant covering Reggae Sunsplash, and he called Ed Lover Special Ed). I loved that they would play what was big at the time, but also some much less well-known stuff in a pretty equal mix. That, to me, was one of the hallmarks of the show, and seeing as how they could never do that today, I can't imagine I'd watch it if it came back.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Whould you watch this show if it came back on?

mtv has brought yo! mtv raps back, they just call it direct effect now.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    there's no place for yo! on regular mtv. however...
    mtv jams is awesome

• I hella miss watchin Dre, Ed Lover, T-Money

Back up off me!
    Back up off me!

That show was great back in the day, and I still have some of it on tape (including one episode where Shabba Ranks was the special correspondant covering Reggae Sunsplash, and he called Ed Lover Special Ed). I loved that they would play what was big at the time, but also some much less well-known stuff in a pretty equal mix. That, to me, was one of the hallmarks of the show, and seeing as how they could never do that today, I can't imagine I'd watch it if it came back.

off topic: Was it Shabba that gave that interview to a British radio station that called for all gay people to be killed? whoever that was I heard it really hurt his sales in the UK.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I hella miss watchin Dre, Ed Lover, T-Money

Back up off me!
    Back up off me!

off topic: Was it Shabba that gave that interview to a British radio station that called for all gay people to be killed? whoever that was I heard it really hurt his sales in the UK.

If memory serves that was on the legendary Channel 4 show The Word.

The show was also responsible for the image of Doggystyle era Snoop getting attacked by a 50 year old man with a hand puppet (RIP Rod Hull)

• Doubt I'd watch but, I do remember that particular show, Freddy hit up a record store and was walking through a market and such... Damn I miss those shows. The Ed Lover dance with the 900 Number =

I need to bust out some of my old videos as well I know I have them. I think my brother has the 1st Yo! Mtv Raps on vhs.....

Ed Lover Dance
    From Yo MTV Raps. With both arms out to the sides, step with your right and pop your right hip forward, then to the left with the left hip, then back to the right twice, left, right, left, left.

• check out this archive of rap videos that aired on Yo! MTV Raps

Yo! Dream Chimney Raps