SF Police Dept "Morale Building" video

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/08/MNGQIG4PLD1.DTLdude i don't know what is up with our police dept. first the "fajita gate" scandal, then the arrest of the police chief and his son for drunken brawling in an az restaurant, and now this racist video. i saw clips on the news and there is a scene of a cop running over a homeless black woman in Bayview/Hunters Point...and it's intended to be funny!i don't understand how the police dept in probably thee most liberal metropolitan in the country can produce something so racist, homophobic, & sexist. what a bunch of meatheads! ^^these cops are pretending to do tai chi to some "vaguely Asian music"

Comments

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    This is more depressing then the article itself:

-e

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

i don't understand how the police dept in probably thee most liberal metropolitan in the country can produce something so racist, homophobic, & sexist. what a bunch of meatheads!

That's because a pig is a pig, regardless to where he's at.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

That's because a pig is a pig, regardless to where he's at.

so true

• the whole mentality that makes someone want to be a police officer is where all of these problems come from...

the whole mentality that makes someone want to be a police officer is where all of these problems come from...

exactly!!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    This is more depressing then the article itself:

-e

The results of that poll are seriously , but I'm not really surprised. Have you ever checked out the "rants and raves" section of Craigslist SF? Tonnes of ignorant shit, supposedly written by BA residents, being dropped in the name of humor.

SG

• even though the city is liberal, the politics are very old-school, Irish democrat. Thats why they are always electing police chiefs mayor. The liberals may have the Haight and Castro, but the old money still has City Hall.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGHHH

• Yeah, I just don't know. There is no question that we need cops, but I think the double edge sword is that the mentality that makes a person want to be one almost excludes them from being respectable. Same w/ polititians and to a lesser extent soldiers(or at leat folks that want to be navy seals, special forces and all that shit)...

• That's because a pig is a pig, regardless to where he's at.

Hmmm...While not defending this video at all, I'm always suspicous of this attitude. Sure like all jobs there are good and bad police officers its just their strengths or faults are magnified by the power they hold.
    However people who always shout the police down are usually just as quick to call for their help when they or one of their family are robbed/raped/burglarised etc...

Sorry, Mao. I don't ever remember a pig helping me in any time of duress.

• the whole mentality that makes someone want to be a police officer is where all of these problems come from...

Seriously, I'm glad somebody wants to do it. Being a cop has got to be one of the worst occupations.

• even though the city is liberal, the politics are very old-school, Irish democrat. The liberals may have the Haight and Castro, but the old money still has City Hall.

that is actually very true. the city bureucracies here such as MUNI and the SFPD are insanely corrupt, make ridiculous salaries and are kinda ineffective and they get these high positions due to nepotism. we have one of the lowest solved crimes percentage in the country. it amazes me how top MUNI and SFPD officials make so much money and are untouchable when any scandals arise. During fajita gate scandal, the DA Terrence Hallinan indicted the top brass of the SFPD for conspiracy and coverup, only to overturn it due to mounting pressure and most of these officers got a slap on the wrist.

• Sorry, Mao. I don't ever remember a pig helping me in any time of duress.

I'm sorry to here that.

It's strange and unfair to cast a whole section of society in a poor light because of the job they do.Surely no one here would do that based on race/sexuality???

However,I would be interested to hear anyones suggestions for an alternative to keep the peace...

• I don't ever remember a pig helping me in any time of duress.

an officer helped me out recently by arresting my stalker, so no hate here. it wasn't a san francisco police officer though...it was a rural, small town officer in another state

• However,I would be interested to hear anyones suggestions for an alternative to keep the peace...

HOW ABOUT THE HONOR SYSTEM MANNNN!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Hmmm...While not defending this video at all, I'm always suspicous of this attitude. Sure like all jobs there are good and bad police officers its just their strengths or faults are magnified by the power they hold.
    However people who always shout the police down are usually just as quick to call for their help when they or one of their family are robbed/raped/burglarised etc...

I agree. I have zero tolerance for racist/crooked/corrupt/whatever cops, but I also don't like it when peopple try to tar every law enforcement officer in the country with the same brush, in no small part because I think trying to color every cop that way diminishes the very real problem of cops who actually are that way.

Of course, lots of people don't like cops because cops bust them for doing something wrong. I have never understood the mentality of people who get caught red-handed doing something illegal and then want to scream up and down about "crooked cops."

• I don't ever remember a pig helping me in any time of duress.

an officer helped me out recently by arresting my stalker, so no hate here. it wasn't a san francisco police officer though...it was a rural, small town officer in another state

HE"S RIGHT - PIGS ARE PIGS.

NOW, WOULD SOMEBODY SHUT THAT DAMN DOG UP!

• The Honor System would probably have a better record on solving crimes than the SF Police Dept.
    To quote a San Francisco Chronicle article: "The San Francisco Police Department solved, on average, just 28 percent of the city's murders, rapes, robberies, shootings, stabbings and other serious assaults between 1996 and 2000, a Chronicle computer analysis shows."

Rest of article here: SFPD Dead Last In Solving Violent Crime

Of course this article is from a couple years ago. If anyone can find something that shows the crime clearance rate from the last couple years I'd be interested. It's possible it has improved, but I don't live in the city so I don't know. Just to throw in to relief how bad it has been there, if you were shot in San Francisco there's a good chance the police department wouldn't even bother to investigate it, let alone solve the crime.

Thousands of "whodunit" violent crimes go uninvestigated by the department's inspectors.

A person who is shot, treated at a hospital and then released is not guaranteed an investigation, said SFPD Lt. Henry Hunter, the supervisor who oversees investigations of serious assaults.

"Unless we have a named suspect, we're not going to assign the case," said Hunter. "The solvability is too low."

Like most other aggravated assault victims, that person must come down to the Hall of Justice for a follow-up interview by an inspector, he said.

"If a person is just shot and they don't come in, that won't be assigned necessarily," Hunter said. "Even if a person comes in, it doesn't mean it's going to be assigned."

• HOW ABOUT THE HONOR SYSTEM MANNNN!

did you know that charlie was a scientologist?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

HOW ABOUT THE HONOR SYSTEM MANNNN!

did you know that charlie was a scientologist?

I did not know that, but I know that Bob Odenkirk does the funniest Charlie impersonation ever.

• Charlie .... is love.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

a few years ago i lived in an area that had a lot of coach house style car garages - separate little buildings past the backyard. my roommate's car had been broken into as had the cars and/or homes of six other places on my block.
    i lived with four other people in a really big house - you could come home and not be sure if no one or everyone was home. i came home one night and went to check the back door before i went upstairs when i noticed a face on the other side of the door. my hand was on the doorknob and so was his on the other side. my heart stopped and then it jumped into my throat. dude and i locked eyes and then he leapt off the porch and was gone. for all i know, he heard me come in and was just leaving. i shouted out 'is anyone home' and i finally heard a response form my roommates on the third floor. i ran up there, we called the cops, they got there in 5 minutes and after hearing what happened and acknowledging all the break-ins, the cops' response was to close up their notebooks, chuckle and say that it was probably someone who had the wrong house.
    WTF???????

now we live next to an alley that is frequented by drunks in the summer time. *a*** has chased a car with a dude and two crack whores out of there. the neighbours call the cops on the drinkers, but i won't. for what? i'd rather not have that conversation or make the alley dudes/dudettes have it either. they leave when you ask them to and always clean up after themselves - beer cans, sherry bottles and even cigarette butts!

i think we need cops and most definitely there are good people in forces and people who genuinely want to help and make a difference. but all those good intentions don't mean shit when they stand by that 'brotherhood' and that code of silence and let the assholes/'bad' cops get away with bullshit behaviour. as soon as one of those good cops doesn't stop or report another cop from doing wrong, then they are just as bad. they have the courage to get shot in the face, but not stand up and say this is wrong?

i don't like cops because there is no system to prevent or discourage shit like ms damn's post from happening. and there is no real accountability.

it's pretty shitty to feel like if i do get in trouble - i don't really feel like i have someone or something i can trust in or rely on to call.

• i don't understand how the police dept in probably thee most liberal metropolitan in the country can produce something so racist, homophobic, & sexist. what a bunch of meatheads!

Generally most cops are pretty dumb and ignorant. This video does not suprise me. Does not take much to be cop. I mean who the fuck wants to sign up and deal with the results of a disfunctional government and society? Most cops are not too different from criminals they deal with. They are one of the same element. "Who do you call when something goes wrong?" Well, the cops. That is their job. That is what they signed up to do. They are not problem solvers, they are street sweepers really. Most off them run around pretending to be super heros or something, but in fact the majority of them are probably some off the most ignorant pieces of garbage in society.

"Police, Wild Beasts, Dogs on A Leash"

One of the most perfect statements.

• Generally most cops are pretty dumb and ignorant. This video does not suprise me. Does not take much to be cop.

It doesn't take much to post on the internet either... but at least they are there attempting to police the streets and keep the peace.Things would be a lot more dangerous with no police out there at all.
    They are doing something constructive for society in general, ask yourself,...

What do you do????

Things would be a lot more dangerous with no police out there at all.

well only 28% worse in SF's case.

but all those good intentions don't mean shit when they stand by that 'brotherhood' and that code of silence and let the assholes/'bad' cops get away with bullshit behaviour. as soon as one of those good cops doesn't stop or report another cop from doing wrong, then they are just as bad. they have the courage to get shot in the face, but not stand up and say this is wrong?
    You couldn't have summed it up any better. After I made my statement earlier this afternoon, I had to leave to do some work. While I was driving, I could only think of one thing, in regards to this topic: the bad seems to always outweigh the good. For every 10 good cops, it takes one 'pig' to fuck it all up.

• well only 28% worse in SF's case.

That's still 28% worse...

Society needs someone to enforce it's accepted rules, with them it would be anarchy, and that does not work. Try and name a country that has no form of law enforcement for the population...

It's all ways a bit "cool" not to accept that a police are needed, but I think with maturity comes understanding...IM

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

well only 28% worse in SF's case.

That's still 28% worse...

Society needs someone to enforce it's accepted rules, with them it would be anarchy, and that does not work. Try and name a country that has no form of law enforcement for the population...

It's all ways a bit "cool" not to accept that a police are needed, but I think with maturity comes understanding...IM

can you please be a little more condescending?

no one here has said get rid of cops completely. the general sentiment is that the cops that are in place now are not meeting the needs of all members of society, are not doing what they are meant to do and are abusing their power in some rather deplorable ways.