a ? for Canadians (NRR)

KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
OK you north of the border folks, please help me understand your taxes. From what I've been reading in guide books it looks like I'm gonna be up against a couple different ones. The way I understand it is, there is GST ~7% PST ~7% and then an additional 10% alcohol tax. The way it seems to break down is if I'm in a regualr store or Grocery buying non alcoholic stuff I'm gonna be looking at PST and GST coming in at a combined ~14% tax on my goods. It seems like if I'm at a liquour store I'm gonna be paying PST, GST and Alcohol tax for what amunts to a whoping ~24% tax. The only break it seems you get is in a restaurant or Bar there is only GST and Alcohol tax so your food would get taxed at ~7% and your booze at a combined ~17%. Have I got it straight? Man, if so I can certainlly see how you guys have "free" healthcare...

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah we got taxes fer days man.

but i can also smoke weed while walking down the street

americans save your reciepts and get yer taxes back when you cross the border.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Any special taxes on alcohol will already be included in the shelf price! Just like gas, and just like y'all do it.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Usually all prices you see include all taxes except GST and PST. "Alcohol" tax and "gas" tax are all included in the price (... I think... I even worked in a liquor store once upon a time).

As well, there are certain goods which are exempt from GST or PST. In certain provinces Milk, Bread, etc is not taxed.

In Alberta, there is no PST. But their premier also has no high school diploma and is a drunkard who throws money at hobo's

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Don't ever buy booze up here... It's super taxed...

Depends on where you go in the country.

Ontario you'll pay GST - 7% & 8% PST

But if you go to say Alberta you'll just pay 7% I believe. No proviuncial tax right?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    these links will probably help (if there was 24% tax on booze - Canada would stop running).
    where are you going?

you are eligible to get some of what you are charged back.

tax refund for visitors

more tax refund info

PST and GST explained (somewhat)

Man, if so I can certainlly see how you guys have "free" healthcare...

Well, technically we don't have "free" health care. We pay for it.. Just with taxes. One thing tho with it being "free". It also means you'll be waiting for months to get alot of things.

(if there was 24% tax on booze - Canada would stop running).

The taxes are probably even higher. It's just that they are hidden taxes.

sorry - i meant on top of the price tag. i think booze off the shelf is totally reasonably priced.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

yeah, $35 for a 12pack of coors light seemed a bit steep.

• ok, as long as it's hidden I'm fine w/ it. what I don't dwell on can't hurt me right? As foor the refund. it's for up to $200 of non-consumable goods and each receipt has to be at least $50 bucks. So basically I can use it if I get a bunch of clothes or records at one spot but other than that it's sorta an empty offer... Miss B I'm going to VANCOUVER! yay! BTW what is the average price for like a 12 pack of some molson or whatever "regualr" domestic beer? How 'bouat average price for cheapy cheap beer both in stores and in bars. Oh, and is beer only available from govt. run stores? Or can you get it at 7-11 or safeway?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    lcbo is the single largest purchaser of alcohol in the world, but rest assured the buying power translates to higher profits for the province, not savings to the customer. Their pricing is routinely higher than our neighbours down south, especially on vintages.

The price hike is really noticable on aged single malts or bordeaux first growths.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    there are cheap beers that avgs out to a dollar a bottle (Laker etc)......

http://www.bcliquorstores.com

but dude you're on vacation, live a little, try some of the microbreweries up there.

but dude you're on vacation, live a little, try some of the microbreweries up there.

i was going to suggest the same thing.

• I will be having micros as well (for sure!)but my palate has developed to where I only want one or two "good beers" maybe three b4 I switch of to something more "easy drinkin'". I went throug a good 5 or 6 year phase of strictly micros and shit and I'm pretty burned on alot of those flavors and bodies... Put simply I like cheap beer.

• so...no alcohol of any kind at retail unless it's through a govt. run store?

so...no alcohol of any kind at retail unless it's through a govt. run store?

Cept for wines... And you can get ur liqur anywhere if ur in Quebec.

and in quebec

you can get liquor at the depaneur in PQ

so...no alcohol of any kind at retail unless it's through a govt. run store?

or a private wine/beer store. i'm not really sure about British Columbia - by privately owned they might mean that the place has to be exclusively for booze as opposed to a privately owned corner store.

you can also buy on site at breweries / wineries

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    ok, as long as it's hidden I'm fine w/ it. what I don't dwell on can't hurt me right? As foor the refund. it's for up to $200 of non-consumable goods and each receipt has to be at least $50 bucks. So basically I can use it if I get a bunch of clothes or records at one spot but other than that it's sorta an empty offer... Miss B I'm going to VANCOUVER! yay! BTW what is the average price for like a 12 pack of some molson or whatever "regualr" domestic beer? How 'bouat average price for cheapy cheap beer both in stores and in bars. Oh, and is beer only available from govt. run stores? Or can you get it at 7-11 or safeway?

Vancouver is probably the most expensive for drinks in bars. Get ready to drop $5 for a pint with tip. A dollar or two more if you're at a club. But you'll have a good time anyway. For a good dance club go to Shine on Saturday.

• Thanks for the tip on Shine. Me and the wife will be in town Mon-Fri though so no Sat nite out for us. We generally prefer mellow bars w/ out pretention too, got any recomendations there?

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Tuesday night is free entrance to the Museum of Anthropology on the campus of UBC.

It's worth the visit.

A great Native American restaurant - real local cuisine - is Liliget Feast House - $20-$25/plate. Tons of other great restaurants are along Davie St., and a little cheaper than that.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    You'll have to go to a liquor store to buy beer in Vancouver, but some bars do offsales (although it's more expensive). Vancouver also has some bars that can only serve alcohol if you're eating, so they'll either make you buy a $2 item, or leave the menu there for the whole time (because you're "still deciding"). In one bar I was in, a section of the interior was a "restaurant", and everything else was a "bar", so later in the evening, when the restaurant section closed, they had a fenced off section in the middle of the room, which you weren't allowed to go into. Strange.